The Student Room Group

Sex before marriage is always wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wtfCharlie
Why?

Well, for example, a lot of it propagates or is part of the sex trade/sex trafficking, a lot is rape, a lot is used to manipulate, harm or degrade women (or keep them in a place of inferiority), and so on. I have other reasons, but they are unlikely to be particularly persuasive in a secular context.

P.S. But thanks for asking rather than negging! :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ForeverGold
I never said you should be married I said you should be in a loving relationship. :confused:
That's why I said No I don't agree

Oh okay, I read it wrong, my bad!
Reply 42
Original post by Calumcalum
No, but it usually/often is.

*Anticipates arghhhh-conservative-social-opinions-make-me-angry neg*

Disagree - there is no circumstance where it is acceptable before marriage.
Original post by Sammydemon
Fair enough. Though you could say why do you have to be in a loving relationship if it is purely an act of selfish lust that can be enjoyed by both parties?

Most people would see selfishness as bad, presumably.
Well, for example, a lot of it propagates or is part of the sex trade/sex trafficking, a lot is rape, a lot is used to manipulate, harm or degrade women (or keep them in a place of inferiority), and so on. I have other reasons, but they are unlikely to be particularly persuasive in a secular context.

P.S. But thanks for asking rather than negging! :wink:

Rape and degradation of women happens sometimes more WITHIN marriage?
And I don't think anyone was talking about illegal activities like rape or trafficking, but rather SEX, just sex, between 2 consenting adults.
Reply 45
Original post by wactm
Even religous people should see the flaw in their argument that it is wrong? I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve couldnt get married yet they had sex?

hurr durr

...only if they take the bible as literal which St Augustine told them not to... :/ Lots of Creationists out there who didn't listen though...

Anyway on terms of whether sex before marriage is ALWAYS wrong...I will have to say no as I am not an absolutist. Due to this I have to respect some will find it wrong others won't find it wrong etc etc, religious people themselves interpret their religious texts in different fashions so not even all Christians would believe it an immoral act...

I myself, do not believe sex to be intrinsically wrong and so I can't consider that having it before marriage is evil.

There are few statements that can be considered wrong for all times in my eyes. Judging something morally is always going to be subjective.
Reply 46
Original post by daisydaffodil
Ooh, I don't know.

I'm torn between my Church - which says fornication is wrong. But I'm not sure if fornication could mean sleeping around recklessly, or just all extra-marital sex.

To be honest I think sex is something primarily for a loving relationship - it's not something that you just do with anyone and everyone.

This. Even after being brought up by christian parents I don't understand how fornication can have the same meaning today. I do believe it is better when it's just between two people but society's views on marriage has changed so much in the last 2,000 years. People won't get married for much longer than they did then and relationships are just different. If I was in the same situation with my boyfriend back then I think we would be married now but that's just not how things work any more (yes we are having sex, waited 6 months though :colondollar:).
Original post by MovingOn
Did I say a relationship was based on sex? No. I said it's the glue that holds the relationship together, and that is true. Generally if you have chemistry in bed then you will be stronger overall, as being sexually frustrated with someone impacts every other aspect of your relationship.

I have had sex before marriage and can account firmly that sometimes you just don't and never will get on well with someone in bed, regardless of how much you communicate. You can't change what turns you on and some people can't change their style of having sex. On the other hand, my partner is so in tune with my body and has been from day one, we've never needed to communicate to improve our sex life because we are so in tune with each other naturally. We are turned on by the same things. You can't put a price on that chemistry, and I highly doubt regardless of how much you communicate you can get that 'click' with someone who doesn't turn you on in bed to begin with.

Sorry then :redface:
I just find it annoying when people like to say if you don't have sex in a relationship then your relationship will fail. I know loads of couples who have healthy mature relationships that have lasted years without sex. And couples who have "good" sex and the relationship still broke up within months.
Original post by wtfCharlie
Rape and degradation of women happens sometimes more WITHIN marriage?
And I don't think anyone was talking about illegal activities like rape or trafficking, but rather SEX, just sex, between 2 consenting adults.

It does, and sex inside of marriage is often wrong for those reasons as well.
And sex includes those circumstances - no one had restricted it to consensual sex before marriage.
Original post by ForeverGold
Sorry then :redface:
I just find it annoying when people like to say if you don't have sex in a relationship then your relationship will fail. I know loads of couples who have healthy mature relationships that have lasted years without sex. And couples who have "good" sex and the relationship still broke up within months.

This. And it's also worth adding that if one's relationship is held together by sex and depends on it in such a way, then it probably isn't a particularly healthy relationship...
Original post by wactm
Even religous people should see the flaw in their argument that it is wrong? I'm pretty sure Adam and Eve couldnt get married yet they had sex?

hurr durr

Apart from all those religious people who don't believe in Adam and Eve...
Reply 51
Apart from all those religious people who don't believe in Adam and Eve...

It was just an example. My point was religion is full of contradictions, it is completely flawed.
Original post by wactm
It was just an example. My point was religion is full of contradictions, it is completely flawed.

Is religion not a bit broad and diverse to make generalisations like that?
Although my religion does say it's wrong, I think it's up to the individual. As long as both parties are consenting, then why not?
Original post by Dream Weaver
Safe, consensual sex is fine.

Safe? Consensual? Why do you always have to take the fun out of everything!!:biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by wactm

I'm a philosophy nerd...forgive me.

But there is a theory that the bible has contradictions within it to show the aspects of the bible which is to not be taken literally...

Religion is down to the interpretation so you can not generalise and say that it is completely flawed as surely it is down to each individual within their sectors of religion that understand certain elements in different ways.

In basic terms, the contradictions arise from the interpretations...
I don't believe that sex before marriage is wrong.
Original post by Tori-Ilana
I'm a philosophy nerd...forgive me.

But there is a theory that the bible has contradictions within it to show the aspects of the bible which is to not be taken literally...

Religion is down to the interpretation so you can not generalise and say that it is completely flawed as surely it is down to each individual within their sectors of religion that understand certain elements in different ways.

In basic terms, the contradictions arise from the interpretations...

..or, more realistically, they are contradictions which cannot be excused away by subjectivity..
Original post by JohnC2211
Safe? Consensual? Why do you always have to take the fun out of everything!!:biggrin:

True, true...
Original post by Wodeford
Do you agree or disagree?

Traditions are dying now, it doesn't matter at all whether you had sex or not before marriage. As long the couple are happy together then its all fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending