The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Stratos

Religious reasons; I was under the impression that Britain was a secular state and that law was based on reason not religion or traditional beliefs.

Whilst society in the UK is pushing towards being secular, the establishment and law are most certainly based on religion.
Reply 61
At the end of the day we are all descendants of Adam.
Reply 62
Original post by Ethereal
Whilst society in the UK is pushing towards being secular, the establishment and law are most certainly based on religion.

Ah fair enough then I guess, can't argue with a religious state.
Reply 63
Original post by Birchington
Outside of the Royal Family or certain parts of America, incest isn't normal. 'Nuff said.

Pedant point: Don't confuse inbreeding with incest. For royal families, it was between 2nd cousins mostly. And it was also before the advent of the 19th century - so it's somewhat harsh to accuse the Royal family of doing that.
Reply 64
Original post by Dekota-XS
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

Why, pray tell, have you put interracial relationships in the same category as incest?
What exactly is wrong with interracial relationships???
Oh and incest is taboo because it is not seen often and generally viewed as disgusting! And creepy!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by ShayCamp
Why, pray tell, have you put interracial relationships in the same category as incest?
What exactly is wrong with interracial relationships???
Oh and incest is taboo because it is not seen often and id generally view as disgusting!

I don't think the OP was necessarily putting interracial relationships in the same category, it was a [badly worded] attempt to show that what is one generation's taboo doesn't raise the eyebrow of a younger generation.
Reply 66
Original post by nonotrly
Incest is something the whole family can enjoy!

(I hope no-one's said that yet)

LOOL You ****! :rolleyes: xx
Reply 67
Reading through the thread people have quite rightly pointed out it is banned because of the biological implications for the offspring a fair enough argument. But I ask this question

By the same logic should people with genetic abnormalities who weren't born out of incest be banned from having sex?

Second if the biological factor is the only scientific reason against it why would it be wrong if two consenting adults who wanted to be incestuous and agreed to sterilisation?

Please note I do not support incest and the first question is not aimed to be offensive I am merely trying to get a bit of debate out of this thread.
Original post by Dekota-XS
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

You get all sorts of genetic problems in the kids.
Reply 70
Quite simply, people are prejudiced. That is the only reason why it's "taboo".

Obviously it is impossible to argue that sex between two brothers, father and son, mother and daughter would be wrong, I think we can all agree there is no rational reason why this would be the case.

There's no problem as long as you aren't planning to have a baby, and use contraception.
Reply 71
Original post by Stefan1991
Quite simply, people are prejudiced. That is the only reason why it's "taboo".

Obviously it is impossible to argue that sex between two brothers, father and son, mother and daughter would be wrong, I think we can all agree there is no rational reason why this would be the case.

There's no problem as long as you aren't planning to have a baby, and use contraception.

So you're ok with incest then ?
Reply 72
Original post by Arenas123
So you're ok with incest then ?

Of course!
Reply 73
Original post by Stefan1991
Of course!

:confused:

So in the future you walk in on your son and daughter boinking.

You honestly would just tell them to use protection and get on with it ?

God only knows what you'd try and do to your daughter ...
Reply 74
Original post by BritPakistaniMuslimah
You get all sorts of genetic problems in the kids.

What the hell's your point though ? Incest is sex with a family member. You may as well say all sex involving anyone under the age of 25 is wrong because they can't give a child a decent life. Or say all sex is wrong because you can get AIDS.

By your reasoning as long as incest occurs with birth control then it's ok.

Don't get me wrong I think incest is 100% wrong but the reasons are mainly psychological. The biological aspect can be controlled with birth control but that doesn't mean if you do that then incest is right.
Reply 75
What the hell's your point though ? Incest is sex with a family member. You may as well say all sex involving anyone under the age of 25 is wrong because they can't give a child a decent life. Or say all sex is wrong because you can get AIDS.

By your reasoning as long as incest occurs with birth control then it's ok.

Don't get me wrong I think incest is 100% wrong but the reasons are mainly psychological. The biological aspect can be controlled with birth control but that doesn't mean if you do that then incest is right.

Apart from the fact that birth control is not 100% effective, why are you searching for a truly rational reason for incest to be wrong?

Plenty of things in society are deemed unacceptable without a truly rational reason.
Reply 76
Too obvious just from reading the title.
Why do so many people bite during these topics...
Reply 77

If you want to reduce your possibe offsprings genetic diversity - go ahead.
Reply 78
Original post by Ethereal
Apart from the fact that birth control is not 100% effective, why are you searching for a truly rational reason for incest to be wrong?

Plenty of things in society are deemed unacceptable without a truly rational reason.

If the girls on the pill and the guys wearing a condom then the %'s get to the point where they basically are 100%. It's not exactly 100 but it may as well be because the difference is negligible.

I'm not searching for anything. I just don't see the point in the biology debate. Given the fact that birth control can be used.

I have a reason that's good enough thanks. Put into google "psychological issues associated with incest". I consider psychology to be rational because I am a big believer in it. Therefore I've already found my rational reason. I think the biology reason is pointless.
Reply 79
:confused:

So in the future you walk in on your son and daughter boinking.

You honestly would just tell them to use protection and get on with it ?

Yeah of course, why what would you do? Tell teenagers to stop having sex, yeah because that's going to work :rolleyes:

I'd react in the same way to my son and his girlfriend bonking. There's no difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending