The Student Room Group

There are no jobs.

This is the second longest period in my life that I've been unemployed; the first time was during the Thatcher/Major years. You young-uns won't remember those horrific times.

I've been doing all kinds of things to get work, sent-off my CV to a number of companies, applied for cleaning jobs, bar jobs, etc, and even went back to college to learn something new.

But still cannot find a job. No point in taking a 10 hour job or even a 16 hour job. Those cleaning jobs never go over the 16 hour mark. And at this period even cleaning jobs seem to be scarce. The criteria for applying for cleaning jobs has changed. Driving licence, CRB check, experience required, buffing experience required, bubbly personality (I kid you not!). This is just to clean an office. And the last cleaning job I applied for was 3 months ago and the employer had to whittle down the number of applicants.

There are a lot of managerial jobs on offer. But I can't do those. I've tried and applied for one of these and got a reply stating that I shouldn't be applying for jobs I can't do. Well, the Job Centre said I should apply for these jobs regardless and not put myself down.

Last month a few shops opened up in the town centre. They didn't employ anyone from my town; they transfered staff from one branch to this one. This annoyed me because a couple of months before the store opened I uploaded my CV on to their website thinking I would be one of the first people they'd snap-up. Turns out they just transfered their staff. And now they have laid-off staff and they say they can't afford to take people on.

In the town centre I notice that many stores are not taking staff on. I notice that there is only ever one or two people on the tills despite the long queues. Readers of the local newspapers wrote in complaining about having to queue everywhere they shop now in town. Employers are just not taking on. They have to maximise their profits and keep staff to a bare minimum.

Having just done a job search on the directgov website I have to say that I have never seen this much lack of jobs that I can do. Any jobs I think I can do are just not applicable for me, whether it be the hours or simply that I don't have a driving licence or previous experience in the role.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 12 years ago)
around my area more businesses are either folding, firing or moving, never mind making more jobs :frown:
Reply 3
I got 2 job offers last week, so I'm sorry, but there are definitely jobs around.

Get your CV and covering letter checked out on the forums here, have people proof-read your application form to get an outside opinion, and tailor everything you do to the job you're applying for.

Just because it's not on direct.gov, doesn't mean it's not real. Plenty of places advertise in local papers, online, in shop windows, or they just wait until people contact them.
Original post by DarkWhite
I got 2 job offers last week, so I'm sorry, but there are definitely jobs around.

Get your CV and covering letter checked out on the forums here, have people proof-read your application form to get an outside opinion, and tailor everything you do to the job you're applying for.

Just because it's not on direct.gov, doesn't mean it's not real. Plenty of places advertise in local papers, online, in shop windows, or they just wait until people contact them.

This this this :smile:
Reply 5

I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my CV. :angry: And the jobs in the local papers make no difference. The St Helens Star has stopped advertising jobs, well, at least that's how it seems from last weeks paper. I looked in the Liverpool Echo but the jobs are not applicable for me to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
There are jobs. But its bloody difficult to get one.
There are often way more people applying for a job than what the company can cope with, so I wouldn't be surprised if half the applications / CV's are just chucked in the bin tbh.
"There are no jobs" is pure bs. Essentially what you mean is "there are no nice, easy jobs that pay loads that I can do comfortably".

If you really want work, get yourself a CSCS Card and go do some hard labour. When I was on the dole and looking through the labour job offers, they were paying £10 an hour.
I'd imagine some offer training, others won't.
Reply 8
Original post by Martyn*
I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my CV. :angry:

Then you wouldn't have to change anything after the CV Helpers have looked over it here then, would you?

Seriously, I think my CV's great, but if I wasn't managing to secure a job, then I'd get a second opinion on it.
i live in a small town so there's only ever 5 or 6 jobs going every time. It's just unfortunate that you are one of the 399 out of 400 people they end up rejecting every time, just keep trying.
I agree, it very much depends on where you live, if you live in the wrong area it's very difficult to get a job. A lot of the kids on this forum are just idiots who don't understand the real world, they reckon that because they were able to get a part time job while they were a 6th former that "anybody can get a job".

The problem is there are so many people looking for work now who DO have experience, that employers are upping the criteria. It used to be pretty easy to pick up a few hours in a shop/cafe if you weren't that experienced but now there are all those people who got laid off after working however many years at Woolies or wherever who do have good experience.

The driving licence one is always a bugbear of mine, you see loads of jobs that require driving licence for no apparent reason, that rules out a lot of people.

The Job Centres are not helpful, they aren't there to try and get you a job, they are there to try and get you to stop claiming, which is a different thing.
Reply 11
Original post by Drunk Punx
"There are no jobs" is pure bs. Essentially what you mean is "there are no nice, easy jobs that pay loads that I can do comfortably".

If you really want work, get yourself a CSCS Card and go do some hard labour. When I was on the dole and looking through the labour job offers, they were paying £10 an hour.
I'd imagine some offer training, others won't.

I'm not sure if working on a building site is for me, but I'm willing to give it a go. Mind you, I'll have to save up for the CSCS card.
Reply 12
they turk err jerbs
Reply 13
Original post by Martyn*
I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my CV. :angry: And the jobs in the local papers make no difference. The St Helens Star has stopped advertising jobs, well, at least that's how it seems from last weeks paper. I looked in the Liverpool Echo but the jobs are not applicable for me to do.

Have you considered moving somewhere else? :dontknow: I'm going to start looking today around town for sales assistant jobs, they seem to be the easiest ones to get.
Reply 14
Then you wouldn't have to change anything after the CV Helpers have looked over it here then, would you?

Seriously, I think my CV's great, but if I wasn't managing to secure a job, then I'd get a second opinion on it.

My CV was done by a professional body not long since. I don't think it needs looking-over.
Original post by Martyn*
This is the second longest period in my life that I've been unemployed; the first time was during the Thatcher/Major years. You young-uns won't remember those horrific times.

I've been doing all kinds of things to get work, sent-off my CV to a number of companies, applied for cleaning jobs, bar jobs, etc, and even went back to college to learn something new.

But still cannot find a job. No point in taking a 10 hour job or even a 16 hour job. Those cleaning jobs never go over the 16 hour mark. And at this period even cleaning jobs seem to be scarce. The criteria for applying for cleaning jobs has changed. Driving licence, CRB check, experience required, buffing experience required, bubbly personality (I kid you not!). This is just to clean an office. And the last cleaning job I applied for was 3 months ago and the employer had to whittle down the number of applicants.

There are a lot of managerial jobs on offer. But I can't do those. I've tried and applied for one of these and got a reply stating that I shouldn't be applying for jobs I can't do. Well, the Job Centre said I should apply for these jobs regardless and not put myself down.

Last month a few shops opened up in the town centre. They didn't employ anyone from my town; they transfered staff from one branch to this one. This annoyed me because a couple of months before the store opened I uploaded my CV on to their website thinking I would be one of the first people they'd snap-up. Turns out they just transfered their staff. And now they have laid-off staff and they say they can't afford to take people on.

In the town centre I notice that many stores are not taking staff on. I notice that there is only ever one or two people on the tills despite the long queues. Readers of the local newspapers wrote in complaining about having to queue everywhere they shop now in town. Employers are just not taking on. They have to maximise their profits and keep staff to a bare minimum.

Having just done a job search on the directgov website I have to say that I have never seen this much lack of jobs that I can do. Any jobs I think I can do are just not applicable for me, whether it be the hours or simply that I don't have a driving licence or previous experience in the role.

do 2 16 hour jobs?

its easy to blame your own misfortune on others.
Original post by Martyn*
My CV was done by a professional body not long since. I don't think it needs looking-over.

Why are you so against somebody looking over it? If it's a great CV, then there won't be any suggestions for improvement, but at least you'll have tried.

At the moment, you're just being stubborn, and it's probably part the reason you're not landing a promising interview.
Reply 17
Original post by amsie/
Have you considered moving somewhere else? :dontknow: I'm going to start looking today around town for sales assistant jobs, they seem to be the easiest ones to get.

Before I moved back here I was living in Liverpool and could find a job quite easy. My friend is the ex-mayor of St Helens and he said it was a mistake coming back. It's one of the worse town in the NW for unemployment and lack of jobs, according to him. Should I move?

Maybe. I've lived in a number of places before and could not settle. I'm quite settled here but there are no jobs. The last job I got here was just pure luck.
Why bother posting on here if you're not willing to consider suggestions from people?
Reply 19
I blame foreigners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

Seriously though, where have all the jobs gone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending