The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerily
I just haven't got round to it, really :dontknow: A pretty boring reason :ahee:

I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?

Imagine what a hardcore movie Trainspotting would have been, if they'd all been alcoholics
Original post by You Failed
I never said that had been no deaths. I know there have been some deaths, they are few and far between though. You're much more likely to die getting a car, crossing a road, getting too drunk etc etc the list goes on. The fact is, it's a relatively safe thing to do. There are an estimate 125,000 recreational ketamine users in the UK. How often do you hear about them dying on the news? And trust me, if one of them died you'd hear about it, the media loves to report every illegal drug death. Its funny that they don't report the 200 or so deaths per year due to pharms, or the ~8,500 alcohol deaths. Yet everyone considers them pretty safe.

Do you think there's some magic way the doctors administer ketamine, compared to how recreational users do it? The doctors may use IV, and they may be able to monitor, recreational use may be more crude but the bottom line remains that, they're still taking the same drug, there isn't a magic method that ensures safety, or any way to make the drug behave in a different way. Also, that's not even mentioning the fact that in hospital use, the average dose of ketamine is much, much higher than any recreational user will do.

Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
right on man, tell it.

I note this lad didnt want to answer what i said below -

Not magic no, but the knowledge and expertise of medical science- ie the people that designed the drug in the first place, believe it or not special K wasnt invented by some slimey dealer selling pills out of his car boot.

And yes in a medically administered environment IVs as well as VS/BP monitors, on top of medically trained supervision, with access to adrenaline , resuscitation equipment etc. In addtion the patients background health and history will have been checked and the medics will have knowledge of other medication previously taken, fluids, food consumed and times etc. And even with all that its never taken for granted that everything goes 100% as expected with every person- that is the nature of drugs. What exactly do you from Gary the drug dealer or in the back of a crowded club in terms of assurance? I can hardly believe that i would even have to explain all that

I could name a stack of meds whose side effect could give you what you would dscribe as a trip or 'high' and are used quite regurlaly in medical treatments for specific purposes and conditions - are you seriously telling me that you would take them in order to get a buzz in nightclub??

Addendum - also please dont use the "You're much more likely to" statement it sounds so stupid - how many more millions of people are crossing the roads daily than taking ketamine. A scientist would tell you if 30 million people took ketamine daily there would be countless more casualties recorded.
And also - There are an estimate 125,000 recreational ketamine users in the UK. what does that accurately say ? nothing, we dont really know how many iilegal drug users there are, regardless of what people said in an extrapolated street survey
Original post by kerily
I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?

Heroin is definitely not more dangerous than alcohol (although I suppose it depends on your definition of 'dangerous').
In one sense it's quite pointless getting into the debate about whether drugs or alcohol is more dangerous, because even if someone is correct in saying that drug X is less dangerous than drinking, because it is illegal and therefore unregulated, you can never be sure that you are actually getting drug X. You could be getting drug X diluted with dangerous substance Y which will leave you brain damaged.
Some drugs are simply not worth trying.
I have enough vices as it is.

Also, you don't need to jump into a pile of **** to know it's a pile of ****.
Reply 206
so basically u r being the big boy showing off about all the badass drugs you take, ye?

Btw, your logic fails phenomenally.
Original post by LoveErinxo
I'm never going to go out of my way to get hold of them, but if I'm offered and I'm curious, I see no reason why trying it would harm me.

...So you see no reason why taking some prescription grade-pharmaceuticals from a random person without any medical supervision would harm you? :lolwut:
whats the world coming to...
Reply 208
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about you health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

I agree. I think drugs can be enjoyed, but with extreme caution. I absolutely adore MDMA. I do not feel sick from it, I get no form of hangover, and the elation is just...inexplicable. Alcohol is more expensive overall (for decent drink), makes me feel lethargic but also aggressive, makes me vomit and need a piss every 3 minutes, and I can feel the physical train it puts on my body.
LOL DRUGS R COOL

There is absolutely no case for legalising drugs and the government will never ever do it. You mad stoners?
Original post by Integral
Sitting there, wondering why the sky is blue and not green is hardly a life changing experience.

The people who I know that take drugs say the experience is completely overrated,

Sorry to interject in you two's disscussion, but how can you tell if it is a life changing expirience without having done the drug in question? (Im assuming a psychedelic drug?)
I used to think drugs were all bad, mainly propaganda from the government and people telling me oooh i wouldn't touch that stuff, it can cause bad things to happen!!
Well if you take them in moderation and KNOW what you're doing/getting yourself into then I think they are fine, they add an extra something to life. Seeing something that you otherwise wouldn't have seen in that way, an extra dimension.
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't like the idea of being out of control. Don't get drunk either. I'm happy with the way so I don't really need anything to make me feel differently.:smile:
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Sorry to interject in you two's disscussion, but how can you tell if it is a life changing expirience without having done the drug in question? (Im assuming a psychedelic drug?)

Can I not have an opinion?
i like being in control. Simple.
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod

Not magic no, but the knowledge and expertise of medical science- ie the people that designed the drug in the first place, believe it or not special K wasnt invented by some slimey dealer selling pills out of his car boot.

And yes in a medically administered environment IVs as well as VS/BP monitors, on top of medically trained supervision, with access to adrenaline , resuscitation equipment etc. In addtion the patients background health and history will have been checked and the medics will have knowledge of other medication previously taken, fluids, food consumed and times etc. And even with all that its never taken for granted that everything goes 100% as expected with every person- that is the nature of drugs. What exactly do you from Gary the drug dealer or in the back of a crowded club in terms of assurance? I can hardly believe that i would even have to explain all that

I could name a stack of meds whose side effect could give you what you would dscribe as a trip or 'high' and are used quite regurlaly in medical treatments for specific purposes and conditions - are you seriously telling me that you would take them in order to get a buzz in nightclub??

Addendum - also please dont use the "You're much more likely to" statement it sounds so stupid - how many more millions of people are crossing the roads daily than taking ketamine. A scientist would tell you if 30 million people took ketamine daily there would be countless more casualties recorded.
And also - There are an estimate 125,000 recreational ketamine users in the UK. what does that accurately say ? nothing, we dont really know how many iilegal drug users there are, regardless of what people said in an extrapolated street survey

The people who made the drug, do not administer it. Doctors adminster drugs, they do not design them. Half the time the government health service doesn't even design them, drugs are designed for all sorts of reasons, some are made for one thing and then a completely new use is found. Some weren't intentionally made at all. Most of them however are made by chemists, not doctors.

With Ketamine, it's rare for anything to go wrong in the first place. That is my very point. I never argued that the monitoring equipment and background checks etc wouldn't help if anything did happen, or to prevent anything from happen. They will no doubt completely erase any complications that may occur, but thats the thing, the complications hardly ever do occur. It doesn't matter if you're snorting it in the back of a car or if you're being adminstered it in a hospital. The chances are nothing bad is going to happen to you. If anything, due to the size of the dosage they give you in the hospital, there's more chance of something going wrong.

"Non-medical doses are usually only 10-25% of surgical doses, given by the same route for the same person. At these levels, it behaves more like a stimulant than a sedative and does not suppress the breathing or heart rate"

"Very few deaths by pure overdose have been recorded (i.e. in the absence of other drugs, especially alcohol). However outside of the medical setting, the main physical dangers stem much more from the context of use than the direct physical harms of the drug. "

Which is exactly what I said. One of the only dangers of Ketamine is that of its affects on your coordination, balance, general ability to move around and also the fact that it numbs you, thus, you are more likely to fall over and not realise you have hurt yourself. There is one very easy and very simply way of minimising this risk. Have someone with you who is sober.

Ta da. Simple. The fact remains. Ketamine is a pretty safe drug.
Original post by Integral
Can I not have an opinion?

I think my comment was quite polite and justified? :s
I've never been offered drugs, I don't live a very exciting life :')

I've seen far too many documentaries about drug addicts to really want to try drugs! I mean something like Requiem for a Dream is enough persuasion for me, let alone films about real people.

I do drink alcohol, and I'm not exactly a health guru, but I don't like the idea that a substance can control my life in such a way. That's one of the reasons I never smoked either, I'm scared to become addicted to anything.

On the other hand I can't say I'm not curious about what it feels like, and I know that trying a single joint does not mean someone is automatically on the path to being a junkie.
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I think my comment was quite polite and justified? :s

I didn't say it wasn't...
Reply 219
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about you health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

Because I just don't care and have better things to do with my time? They idea rarely crosses my mind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending