The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Give up my seat?! NOOO! :(

So today I was on the bus and it was unbelievably packed. Luckily I managed to snag a seat. I look up and there is an elderly lady standing nearby and just by her side is an equally (if not more) elderly man. What to do? Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus! The lady next to me got up and offerred her chair to one of them and looked at me expectantly. I just smiled and put my headphones in. She tsk'd and the elderly man left standing shook his head at me and muttered something or other (probably about "youth of today") making me feel very ashamed :ashamed2:. The bus ride was quite long and there was an unusually high number of elderly people. I got a lot of dissapproving looks. I think at some point I said sorry I'm ill but alas to no avail. Nobody cared.

I wasn't sitting in the assigned "give your seat up" zone! just because I'm young I'm expected to be in top form health wise 24/7?! Why can't a young person be one of the "less able to stand"??? Don't get me wrong, I do give my seat up to the elderly/pregnant etc but not when I'm ILL shheeshh!

Do you give your seat up? Or do you believe you shouldn't have to? have you ever received abuse for not doing so even though you couldn't

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm getting negged; I spent the day in hospital (mostly in the waiting room but still!)and I actually was genuinely ill. I'm just pointing out that people on buses shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" as it were...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you were ill then IMO its okay not to give your seat up.
It always amazes me how, on the brink of death, these people can get so worked up over a seat.
Original post by chocoholic.

This.
Personally, no matter what I'm feeling I always give my seat up when it's needed or if I see someone who I think deserves a seat I offer it up. But that's just me, everyone's different. Don't worry about it, not much you can do about it now and you were ill.
Reply 5
I don't give my seat regardless if I'm ill or not because where I sit on the bus elderly people don't know how to get there.
Whilst on one hand maybe you could have given up your seat, the people on the bus shouldn't have given you abuse for not standing up, you might have had an invisible condition like Cystic Fibrosis or Multiple Sclerosis.
Reply 7
Personally, I would have given up the seat, especially for the elderely...
Reply 8
Original post by Jennie027
Personally, no matter what I'm feeling I always give my seat up when it's needed or if I see someone who I think deserves a seat I offer it up. But that's just me, everyone's different. Don't worry about it, not much you can do about it now and you were ill.

Wow, even when your ill? That's amazing!

Original post by chocoholic.

I can't stand up for long when I'm "on" and add a cold to that... :frown:
Original post by uer23
I don't give my seat regardless if I'm ill or not because where I sit on the bus elderly people don't know how to get there.

what, upstairs? :tongue:
Reply 9
Old people feel very entitled. I've had to deal with this attitude before. I got a tirade of abuse for sitting at the front when the bus was almost empty, i.e. there were many seats for any subsequent OAP travellers to sit in. I got the 'youth of today' crap, i put my headphones in and let this young guy sitting behind me argue with the man. SCREW OFF.
Reply 10
This happened to me all the time. But this one occasion it happened the other way round:
4 years ago I had an operation on my spine and had a visible brace on and not one person thought to give up a seat for me even younger people at the front :redface: which I thought was so rude considering every time the bus is full I always stand.
Now I really don't care if anyone is standing you have to be selfish sometimes.
I hate it when I get on a train like, 20 mins early to get a seat, then old people jump onto the packed train just before it leaves and expect me or others who got there early to give up their seat for them. I know this is different to buses, because you can hardly get on it before it arrives... but I thought I'd voice my opinion anyway!
The fact you even try to explain yourself by going "Sorry, I'm sick" just makes them think it's an excuses and hate our generation of 20 something even more for not giving up the seat to an elderly. :moon:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
What doesn't kill them can only make them stronger. :smile:
Reply 14
You're right not to in some sense's, id of been tempted to cross my legs and place my hands behind my head and go "Ahh, sitting down is the life!" if people did that to me on the bus. I wouldnt, but still.

Its become a culture taken too far, sure you should give up your seat to those in need, I.e. frail elderly people, heavily pregnant, those who can barely stand. The counter argument is that they've managed to get out of the house perfectly well, and that the overpoliteness is being taken too far. I mean even 50 something year olds are getting seats now. Disgraceful how caring we are as a population.
Reply 15
Original post by Casshern1456
The fact you even try to explain yourself by going "Sorry, I'm sick" just makes them think it's an excuses and hate our generation of 20 something even more for not giving up the seat to an elderly. :moon:

After a while the disapproving glares got to me! I felt like barney in "how I met your mother" after he ran the marathon :rofl:
Reply 16
why didn't you tell them then, instead of ranting on tsr about it?
Reply 17
Original post by TheDubs
You're right not to in some sense's, id of been tempted to cross my legs and place my hands behind my head and go "Ahh, sitting down is the life!" if people did that to me on the bus. I wouldnt, but still.

Its become a culture taken too far, sure you should give up your seat to those in need, I.e. frail elderly people, heavily pregnant, those who can barely stand. The counter argument is that they've managed to get out of the house perfectly well, and that the overpoliteness is being taken too far. I mean even 50 something year olds are getting seats now. Disgraceful how caring we are as a population.

That can be of any age right?!! Also I hate the awkwardness sometimes when you offer your seat to someone you think is elderly but they take offence :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by Saranghea
So today I was on the bus and it was unbelievably packed. Luckily I managed to snag a seat. I look up and there is an elderly lady standing nearby and just by her side is an equally (if not more) elderly man. What to do? Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus! The lady next to me got up and offerred her chair to one of them and looked at me expectantly. I just smiled and put my headphones in. She tsk'd and the elderly man left standing shook his head at me and muttered something or other (probably about "youth of today") making me feel very ashamed :ashamed2:. The bus ride was quite long and there was an unusually high number of elderly people. I got a lot of dissapproving looks. I think at some point I said sorry I'm ill but alas to no avail. Nobody cared.

I wasn't sitting in the assigned "give your seat up" zone! just because I'm young I'm expected to be in top form health wise 24/7?! Why can't a young person be one of the "less able to stand"??? Don't get me wrong, I do give my seat up to the elderly/pregnant etc but not when I'm ILL shheeshh!

Do you give your seat up? Or do you believe you shouldn't have to? have you ever received abuse for not doing so even though you couldn't

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm getting negged; I spent the day in hospital (mostly in the waiting room but still!)and I actually was genuinely ill. I'm just pointing out that people on buses shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" as it were...

If you are genuinely ill, it would mean a clear indication that you are unwell to stand. And if you look at the signs for sitting it states that you should give up your seat for those who are unwell or unable to stand.

If you are feeling fainty then you clearly meet the requirement. It doesn't just apply to the elderly, it applies to a variety of people...... the negs are wrong. People shouldn't judge so easily.
Reply 19
Original post by alphabet
why didn't you tell them then, instead of ranting on tsr about it?

Erm, because it would be weird?

I wanted to see if others have been through the same and to understand why people are so quick to assume that because you're young you never need to sit down!

Latest

Trending

Trending