The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are chavs a countrywide problem?

This is a totally serious discussion so please respect that.

Im from the North, therefore my area is infested probably more than anywhere else. However, one thing i've often wondered, for possible future reference, are chavs a countrywide problem?

I know that no part of the UK is absolutely fantastic, however there must be better parts where I don't just get started on in the middle of the street for no reason...

London, gangs and the like therefore don't really wanna go there... However what about places like Norfolk or Hertfordshire? Area's like Bishop Stortford and Warrington, supposed affluent areas. Are these chav free? Wales?

Just looking for different opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Generally any urban area where there is a degree of socioeconomic deprivation.

That sounds like I'm mapping disease incidence. :laugh: But seriously, print this out for future reference:

PATHOLOGY OF THE 'CHAV':

Aetiology: conventional, potent strain thought to have emerged circa 1997; precise site of origin unknown, but most likely in western Europe.
Epidemiology: is pandemic in developed countries of the western hemisphere and mainland Europe; transmits via human social contact and is potentiated in environments with poor parenting and deprived socioeconomic conditions.
Symptoms: antisocial behaviour; typical strains depict variants of Nike Air Max trainers, but Adidas, and in isolated cases, Reebok, trainers are present in some localities; corrupted and often incomprehensible dialects; loitering in an intimidating fashion with bikes and dogs; indecorous outerwear initially manufactured for sporting purposes. Varies by country.
Prevention: hide yo wife, hide yo kids; known to be highly contagious during adolescence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
you get chavs wherever you go. including places like windsor
I think the term "chav" is subjective to each area.
In London, we'll probably use the sterotypical image of them wearing tracksuits around their ankles, nike hoodies and antisocial behaviour. This may not be necessarily the case everywhere, but I guess the one constant aspect is "antisocial behaviour". I can't quite imagine a place that doesn't have this. Even the more affluent places must have something similar. I don't think the term chav necessarily means that they have little money. Living proof is the Pink Floyd guitaist's son swinging from the Cenotaph. He had money, but absolutely no intelligence.

So, to summarise- yes, they're countrywide, even nationwide. Not necessarily all wearing trackies, but antisocial to some extent
Reply 4
I'm also from the north - They're so abundant you need to watch where you walk for fear of stepping on one :holmes:
Reply 5
Every country has a form of underclass so actually international. In the UK, chavs are wherever the council estates are (unless you get one winning the lottery :P). This means every town and city has chavs, as every town and city has council accommodation.
I live in, supposedly, one of the most affluent areas in the whole of the UK (the Bucks/Berks/Greater London intersection), and we are overrun with them. They're everywhere. I have family in rural areas in the West Country, and theirs isn't too bad a problem. But in all seriousness, my extended cousins have reported 'chavs' stealing their tractors. I kid you not.

By the way OP, brilliant avatar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
There are definitely chavs in Wales, I assure you.
Reply 8
We have chavs in this country because we're too soft. The police are a joke, they sentencing is a joke, everything's a joke. The death penalty would solve a lot of problems and make chavs think twice before beating up someone or kicking a man to death because he asked them to not sit on his car. In China they wouldn't stand for this.
Original post by Fargo
We have chavs in this country because we're too soft. The police are a joke, they sentencing is a joke, everything's a joke. The death penalty would solve a lot of problems and make chavs think twice before beating up someone or kicking a man to death because he asked them to not sit on his car. In China they wouldn't stand for this.

I do agree that the country is too soft and the police need to be a lot stricter, however a death penalty is way over the top.
Reply 10
Original post by Yorkshire_Don
I do agree that the country is too soft and the police need to be a lot stricter, however a death penalty is way over the top.

I don't think it's over the top. It will set an example to everyone else. The whole reason we had riots in this country is because we're too ****ing soft, and everyone knows it. What do these criminals even have to be scared of? Definitely not prison, it's cosy in there and they can kill time by playing playstation. We are a joke. Bring back hanging and watch the crime rate dramatically decrease.
Original post by whyumadtho
Generally any urban area where there is a degree of socioeconomic deprivation.

That sounds like I'm mapping disease incidence. :laugh:

Does the environment create the people or do the people create the environment?
Reply 12
Original post by Fargo
I don't think it's over the top. It will set an example to everyone else. The whole reason we had riots in this country is because we're too ****ing soft, and everyone knows it. What do these criminals even have to be scared of? Definitely not prison, it's cosy in there and they can kill time by playing playstation. We are a joke. Bring back hanging and watch the crime rate dramatically decrease.

Do you often wonder WHY they commit crimes?
Original post by Fargo

I agree it would decrease the level of crimes committed but still I think there are better ways than to simply kill them
I'm from the south, but I'm now at uni in the north.

If anything, they seem more prevalent in the south, but maybe that's because I tend to frequent the nicer areas of Manchester, and the less nice areas of Bristol!
Original post by PendulumBoB
Does the environment create the people or do the people create the environment?

They perpetuate each other once effectuated, but the initial agency of people induces environmental degradation, which attracts increasingly less favourable people who typically follow the often salient and unpropitious socio-cultural status quo in said degraded/deprived areas.
Reply 16
Original post by Hogwartz
Do you often wonder WHY they commit crimes?

I don't really care to be honest.
Reply 17
Original post by Fargo
I don't really care to be honest.

This therefore reflects that you are stupid my dear.
Original post by whyumadtho
They perpetuate each other once effectuated, but the initial agency of people induces environmental degradation, which attracts increasingly less favourable people who typically follow the often salient and unpropitious socio-cultural status quo in said degraded/deprived areas.

Y'know, I actually agree (to an extent).
Reply 19
Original post by Yorkshire_Don
I agree it would decrease the level of crimes committed but still I think there are better ways than to simply kill them

Maybe 100 lashes would help. All I know is criminals in this country aren't scared any more. If I went to China now and rioted, smashed shops, threw bricks at Police and beat people up... I'd probably be hanged, and rightly so. But over here, you 'll serve half your poxy sentence in a cosy cell and you're out again. We are a joke. The Police should be given guns and hanging should be brought back again.

Latest

Trending

Trending