The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Does first year nightlife revolve around clubbing? Is there anything else at Bristol?

I've got a couple of days before my UCAS descion has to be submitted, one thing which is worrying me is the social life.
My health is bad atm, and unless it gets better I won't be up to clubbing.
Do Bristol first years, ever just go to a pub for drinks?
How often do house parties in halls happen?
Are the bars in the halls just used for pre-drinks, or do people ever end up staying there?
Anything ever happen like a block of accomodation, just crowd into one room for a movie night?

Also if I do get better, decide to go clubbing, then realise I'm not up for it and need to go back to halls, are there any nightbuses or anything back to stoke bishop halls? I've always been told as a female, not to get a taxi at night by myself!

I'm worried everyone bonds on nights out at big clubs at freshers and I'll miss out on making friends!

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure all those things happen, it just depends on your group of friends! To my knowledge, there is a plethora of pubs and such (i.e. anything that is not a club) in Bristol. There are lots of things to do without clubbing... personally I have never been to a nightclub so I doubt I will become a diehard partygoer now. :rolleyes:

At the very least, we can stick together during Freshers! :tongue:

Also, there are buses to and fro SB, and these should run until relatively late.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
There is also a lot of local bands playing every night so you can go with friends to a gig and have a beer (make sure to check out The Fleece- it is amazing venue!). And yes, people also stay in halls and have movie nights and stuff. Don't worry, if you don't want to/can't go clubbing there will be plenty other things to do.
Reply 3
Original post by punctuation
I'm sure all those things happen, it just depends on your group of friends! To my knowledge, there is a plethora of pubs and such (i.e. anything that is not a club) in Bristol. There are lots of things to do without clubbing... personally I have never been to a nightclub so I doubt I will become a diehard partygoer now. :rolleyes:

At the very least, we can stick together during Freshers! :tongue:

Also, there are buses to and fro SB, and these should run until relatively late.

Hey thanks for the response! That sounds massively reassuring! Hey I might become a diehard partygoer if my legs decide to start functioning properly.... it could happen :rolleyes: If nightclubs aren't your scene, what is?

Yes that sounds like a plan! And maybe atleast first day of lectures too - I'm doing psychology as well and worried I won't be able to find it! I think I managed to get lost inside my duvet once... and at my old school after I'd been there for five years...
Reply 4
Original post by anka16
There is also a lot of local bands playing every night so you can go with friends to a gig and have a beer (make sure to check out The Fleece- it is amazing venue!). And yes, people also stay in halls and have movie nights and stuff. Don't worry, if you don't want to/can't go clubbing there will be plenty other things to do.

Ahh I love gigs! Beer not so much :tongue: However, local gigs I've been too have been on a small scale and had areas to sit down, I know this isn't always the case with big venues; are there are seating areas in The Fleece?
In first year, my flatmates and I did a mixture of things. WE did go clubbing (and more so than we have in 2nd and 3rd year), but rarely every week. We more often than not sat in one room watching films and chatting. We occassionally go out for meals and to the cinema. I don't think health problems will hold you back, as it hasn't held back any of my friends who don't feel up to clubbing :smile: There's plenty to do here if you'd rather not go clubbing (I personally go rarely, as I'm not a massive fan and I haven't felt I have had a rubbish social life).
Original post by xfirekittyx
Hey thanks for the response! That sounds massively reassuring! Hey I might become a diehard partygoer if my legs decide to start functioning properly.... it could happen :rolleyes: If nightclubs aren't your scene, what is?

Yes that sounds like a plan! And maybe atleast first day of lectures too - I'm doing psychology as well and worried I won't be able to find it! I think I managed to get lost inside my duvet once... and at my old school after I'd been there for five years...

Hmm, probably cafés or the comfort of my own bedroom (with a solid internet connection and a good computer, that is). :colondollar:

Oh, you're psychology? HOORAY! How exciting! :biggrin: What's your name and which accommodation are you looking at? I'm Julie and I'll probably be putting Goldney as first choice and The Hawthorns as second choice.

Also, join the Facebook group! :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolfirmers2012/

Ahh I love gigs! Beer not so much :tongue: However, local gigs I've been too have been on a small scale and had areas to sit down, I know this isn't always the case with big venues; are there are seating areas in The Fleece?

I'm glad you don't like beer! We can, you know, not-drink together. :beard:
Reply 7

If you arrive early, there is a few stools to sit on... Or you can always ask, people are really nice there :wink:
Reply 8
Never heard of The Fleece to be honest but if you stay at a hall with a bar then lot's of people congregate there in the evenings to play pool, chat, board games etc. If your hall has a good JCR then they organize frequent events like movie nights, poker etc but this depends on the quality of the JCR, some are better than others (hint Badock/Wills/Hiatt Baker).

Freshers and early first term will basically be about clubbing mainly but once that's over then people settle down a bit and if you have a decent group of friends then I'm sure they'd be up for going to a bar/pub.
Reply 9
Hmm, probably cafés or the comfort of my own bedroom (with a solid internet connection and a good computer, that is). :colondollar:

Oh, you're psychology? HOORAY! How exciting! :biggrin: What's your name and which accommodation are you looking at? I'm Julie and I'll probably be putting Goldney as first choice and The Hawthorns as second choice.

Also, join the Facebook group! :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolfirmers2012/

I'm glad you don't like beer! We can, you know, not-drink together. :beard:

I'll PM you my name... never know who's lurking on the internet :cool: I think Goldney looks AMAAAZING, I have imagined living in that place for months :colondollar: I was thinking Goldney first, Durdham second but I've sort of completely changed my mind and think it may conserve a lot of energy (not having to cook or washup so much) so I may go catered, but then it's a. Convincing the parents it's worth the price b. No idea if the food is actually edible and c. Probabaly no chance of an en-suite! I'm deciding tonight/tommorow morning, that's the annoying thing if I choose Sussex I'm definetely allowed an en-suite. :angry: If I do go catered, I need to befriend someone who's selfcatered so I can steal their oven to make the odd batch of cookies :wink: How did you come to a decision?

Thanks I may join the facebook group when I stop being a 'tard. I haven't really gone on facebook in months. I decided it just causes too many problems and it's best to hide from it :tongue: Even though I keep getting in trouble for missing peoples' birthdays because I've relied on facebook for the last three years :rolleyes:

How likely do you think it is you'll make your offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mattyness
Never heard of The Fleece to be honest but if you stay at a hall with a bar then lot's of people congregate there in the evenings to play pool, chat, board games etc. If your hall has a good JCR then they organize frequent events like movie nights, poker etc but this depends on the quality of the JCR, some are better than others (hint Badock/Wills/Hiatt Baker).

Freshers and early first term will basically be about clubbing mainly but once that's over then people settle down a bit and if you have a decent group of friends then I'm sure they'd be up for going to a bar/pub.

Thanks for the advice that sounds like a plan:smile: Which is better out of Badock/ Hiatt Baker? In terms of room size, food how grimey the bathrooms are etc?
I'll PM you my name... never know who's lurking on the internet :cool: I think Goldney looks AMAAAZING, I have imagined living in that place for months :colondollar: I was thinking Goldney first, Durdham second but I've sort of completely changed my mind and think it may conserve a lot of energy (not having to cook or washup so much) so I may go catered, but then it's a. Convincing the parents it's worth the price b. No idea if the food is actually edible and c. Probabaly no chance of an en-suite! I'm deciding tonight/tommorow morning, that's the annoying thing if I choose Sussex I'm definetely allowed an en-suite. :angry: If I do go catered, I need to befriend someone who's selfcatered so I can steal their oven to make the odd batch of cookies :wink: How did you come to a decision?

Thanks I may join the facebook group when I stop being a 'tard. I haven't really gone on facebook in months. I decided it just causes too many problems and it's best to hide from it :tongue: Even though I keep getting in trouble for missing peoples' birthdays because I've relied on facebook for the last three years :rolleyes:

How likely do you think it is you'll make your offer?

Catered you still have to cook lunch and some meals on the weekends. :redface: However, not having to cook, and especially not having to wash up, does sound appealing.

You should look at Woodland Court, they're self-catered but it's right by the precinct and every room is an en-suite! :smile: There's also Colston St, also self-catered, also in the precinct, and almost every room is an en-suite. The latter is new and very nice! Talk to Pheebs on TSR, she's staying there now and she's a psych student.

I initially wanted catered because I didn't want to cook, really, but the only option at the time (since I'm under-18) was Clifton Hill House. After a bit of deliberation, I realised it wasn't nearly as nice as Goldney. The latter has beautiful grounds and a great-looking room. The JCR is also quite nice.

On the other hand, The Hawthorns is literally around the corner from my future lectures AND it's spacious/modern/clean. However, since I will probably only have lectures three out of seven days of a week, I decided Goldney because it's in Clifton with all those lovely shops!

I still haven't gotten that PM from you! :moon:

It's quite likely I'll make my offer, since I have already finished most of my exams. I've actually already technically met the conditions. It's complicated since I'm in the Canadian school system. :tongue:

I look forward to receiving your PM :lol:
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice that sounds like a plan:smile: Which is better out of Badock/ Hiatt Baker? In terms of room size, food how grimey the bathrooms are etc?

Badock and Hiatt Baker are pretty similar to be honest. Badock has a better reputation outside of Bristol so it is more over-subscribed but they are very similar in terms of culture, people etc.

But if you apply to Badock, you have to put it as your first choice so I would strongly advise Badock as first choice, then Hiatt Baker as your second. You have about an even chance of getting Badock and then even if you don't you'll definitely get Hiatt Baker, which is just as good.
Reply 13
Original post by Mattyness
Badock and Hiatt Baker are pretty similar to be honest. Badock has a better reputation outside of Bristol so it is more over-subscribed but they are very similar in terms of culture, people etc.

But if you apply to Badock, you have to put it as your first choice so I would strongly advise Badock as first choice, then Hiatt Baker as your second. You have about an even chance of getting Badock and then even if you don't you'll definitely get Hiatt Baker, which is just as good.

Would Wills first then Hiatt Baker be a safe combination too then?
Saying this, I don't know if Wills is suitable for me, I have back problems and the dining room has benches which may make them worse cause of the lack of lumbar support. There were a few chairs, but I don't know if they are just for staff/senior people? I don't know if sticking a chair on the end of the table for me would just be just completely against the halls tradition or something :tongue: I guess Badock would better for in in actually having chairs, but I've heard some horror stories about the food? Do you know anything about the social life at Clifton Hill House?
Saying this, I don't know if Wills is suitable for me, I have back problems and the dining room has benches which may make them worse cause of the lack of lumbar support. There were a few chairs, but I don't know if they are just for staff/senior people? I don't know if sticking a chair on the end of the table for me would just be just completely against the halls tradition or something :tongue: I guess Badock would better for in in actually having chairs, but I've heard some horror stories about the food? Do you know anything about the social life at Clifton Hill House?

Yes apparently badock hall has horrible food. I wouldn't recommend clifton hill house, apparently it is very dull and filled with internationals? It doesn't seem like something bad, in fact I initially wanted to put it as my first or second choice... But on the whole it didn't look very lively... Coming from me, that's saying something, seeing as I don't drink, go to clubs, or whatever most people would consider "being social" :wink:
There's a nice bridge.
Reply 16
Catered you still have to cook lunch and some meals on the weekends. :redface: However, not having to cook, and especially not having to wash up, does sound appealing.

You should look at Woodland Court, they're self-catered but it's right by the precinct and every room is an en-suite! :smile: There's also Colston St, also self-catered, also in the precinct, and almost every room is an en-suite. The latter is new and very nice! Talk to Pheebs on TSR, she's staying there now and she's a psych student.

I initially wanted catered because I didn't want to cook, really, but the only option at the time (since I'm under-18) was Clifton Hill House. After a bit of deliberation, I realised it wasn't nearly as nice as Goldney. The latter has beautiful grounds and a great-looking room. The JCR is also quite nice.

On the other hand, The Hawthorns is literally around the corner from my future lectures AND it's spacious/modern/clean. However, since I will probably only have lectures three out of seven days of a week, I decided Goldney because it's in Clifton with all those lovely shops!

I still haven't gotten that PM from you! :moon:

It's quite likely I'll make my offer, since I have already finished most of my exams. I've actually already technically met the conditions. It's complicated since I'm in the Canadian school system. :tongue:

I look forward to receiving your PM :lol:

I wouldn't have to cook lunch though, having some hot meals provided I'd be happy living on sandwiches and microwave meals for the rest of the time. Where as I don't think it'd be healthy to have a microwave meal every day if I have no energy. I know I probabaly wouldn't eat any vegetables like that!

Woodland Court is my least favourite of all the halls! Apart from the en-suites and location it has nothing going for it. No facilities, it's a part of orbital rather than having it's own community events, no sunbathing space and most importantly for me I wouldn't be able to bring my car. Ok I may be able to manage the walk on most days at the distance, but then I'd just be completely stuck, I don't know how I'd manage to get anywhere else, I don't think I'd even be able to get home on public transport!

Haha I know Pheebs :smile: Again for Colston street it's the car issue!

I will reply to that PM now :wink:

Aww you're a young un XD Is is normal in Canada to go to uni that young? Yes if I was set on selfcatered/being in Clifton I'd definetly put Goldney first! Absolutely beautiful! What are you thinking of second choice?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes apparently badock hall has horrible food. I wouldn't recommend clifton hill house, apparently it is very dull and filled with internationals? It doesn't seem like something bad, in fact I initially wanted to put it as my first or second choice... But on the whole it didn't look very lively... Coming from me, that's saying something, seeing as I don't drink, go to clubs, or whatever most people would consider "being social" :wink:

Haha it's so bad, it's like people have replaced 'lepers' with internationals. I personally would probabaly love it, just because there'd be so many accents to try and learn! Is your accent strong? But I know what people mean, at my ex's hall there's an international bloke on his floor, who if anyone in says hi to him, he just blanks them and only mixes with other internationals!

Did you visit it at on a visit day. Cause I saw Wills on the visit hall and it was just compleeetely empty in all the communal areas apart from the tours going on, so maybe they do that on purpose?

I want to put HB down as insurance if I'm definite on the being catered... but living in a building that looks that ugly will probabaly destroy a little piece of my soul. I'm trying to think of it like how you'd judge a person though, on the inside... but it's hard when some of the halls look so lovely!
Nah, most people in Canada turn 18 the year they have to go to uni, but I skipped a year so I'm turning 17 this year. :colondollar: My second choice is the hawthorns which has the advantage of being around the corner from both my departments and pretty modern-looking! However, it doesn't have a nice garden like Goldney and I'd definitely miss the "halls" aspect. Plus I don't have lectures every single day so if I'm tied up in my room I'd rather it be near the lovely shops of Clifton :biggrin:

So since I'm guaranteed accommodation I figured try for the "competitive" hall then if not I get the still really great second choice. It's like a win-win situation.

Ah, I only have what most people would call an "American" accent since I was born and raised in Canada. :wink: I didn't go to the visit day, no. Too far away haha.

I know, I'm completely won over by the architecture of the halls like Goldney and Wills' old quad. :tongue: The Hawthorns also looks quite nice on the outside, and very new on the inside, which seems like a good combination to me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19

Wills, Hiatt Baker is a safe combination. About the seating, no idea but if it is a serious medical condition they might help you.

As for CHH, don't see loads of internationals as a benefit and some sort of great 'global village' melting pot. Instead, it will probably just mean a lot of quiet nights. Although this isn't to say that CHH is that bad, I know a few people who went there and they enjoyed it, just that there are better halls out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending