The Student Room Group

Why are Muslim's portrayed as terrorist's in today's society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by FCI
Again untrue- but thanks for illustrating exactly my point. By readint ghe thread you can see the moslems on it have all not denounced islamists, rather they try re-direct aggression toward USA (when the thread has nothing to do with US). And then they make up stats and ignore the truthful ones- ie that islamists killed more moslems than any US soldier or drone. US have successfully killed more islamists than any moslem force, so it also shows who is motivated to reduce terrorists. Most of us non partizan people that excersise common sense know we would rather US reduce islamist fanatics, and the media reports that fact. it is evident that there is warped bias , and you illustrate this, by putting false spin on conflicts- others have about other wars involving moslems, you have mentioned "oppression (eg in Afghanistan" when there is none in afgan, US went there to take out terroists and taelban that threatened them, and are there at request of afgan government. If they actually wanted to conquer and "oppress Afghanistan" they could do so easily with a succession of air strikes and napalm obliterating afgans forces, and also paksitan too. The reason they are instead using tiny drones and special froces is that they are chasing cowardly islamists that hide behind woemn and children , which is why casualties occur. Hypocracy is also illustrated when for example, a western school teacher names a bear mohammed, a thousand moslems march angrily on streets accross the moslem world and attack embassies. When an islamist attacks moslems in an iraq, afganistan, sudan etc killing hundreds on a daily basis, moslems are silent. This the reason why terrorism is festered in moslem society and why also media links the two.

Lol, do you want me to take out the stats? Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, The atrocities committed by American forces in these areas is disgusting.

Let me tell you a truth. But brace yourself, as your innocent mind may find it hard to bare.
Why are terrorists seemingly always in Pakistan, when the Pakistani government can't seem to do anything about it? The president is the epitome of corruption. There are no terrorists residing in Pakistan, it is all a very cunning strategy to infiltrate enemy lands and render the national government useless. Why do they want control over Pakistan? for the same reason they wan control over Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Libya, etc.

Open your eyes.
Reply 181
Original post by Azarimanka
Suicide bombing obviously did not exist when your madman was raving in the 6th century. Still - Martyrdom 4.74 9.111 etc. Mohammad himself was violent - fighting a war.

What in the world..
Reply 182
'Religion of peace' is an oxymoron.
Reply 183
Original post by ed-
'Religion of peace' is an oxymoron.

Do you even know what an "oxymoron" is?

Here are some examples:

Living death.
Accurate estimate.
Elected King.

Now tell me how "Religion of Peace" is an oxymoron?
Why is it that Islam is misinterpreted so much more than any other religion? There must be something in it that allows for these people to take it and justify doing these awful things.
Reply 185
Original post by Mazy95
It's really none of the West's business what Muslim countries do. Who died and made America the world police?
bin laden :dontknow:thats not the point is it, if you apply aggression toward america, what will you get, a response, that is the leasson to learn. if islamists learn to live peacefully, there wouldnt be the need the 'world police' would there. islamists have conflict with everyone , not just usa, read the news.
Reply 186
Original post by tomclarky
Why is it that Islam is misinterpreted so much more than any other religion? There must be something in it that allows for these people to take it and justify doing these awful things.

Well, for one we don't have a central figure. Islamic education is really bad, especially in those corrupt countries where Islamic schools were removed.
From that we have lack of knowledge and random person with beard who looks 'wise' can then preach nonsense who then gains and audience and then it spreads and so on. From that bad Islamic teachings and ignorance leads to not understanding the Qur'an, non Muslims, terrorists, and generally ignorant people do the same thing.
Reply 187
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
I don't want to know what you have to say, I want proof in the Qur'an or sunnah to back up your false claims.The first caliphs were voted by clan elders and respected religious scholars.Freedom of speech was allowed in many caliphates/dynasties and people criticised Islam openly, As well as the caliphs themselves.So on all counts you are wrong.Posted from TSR Mobile
what 'clan' islam has not a clan, educate yourself. the first caliphs seized power with their armies, there was no 'moslem vote' and then curshed all opposstion (riddah wars) and then followed the shia-sunni split (another big islamist terroism issue). Then all following clapihs came about from other warlords conquering or assasintaing the prior. that is intrenched in the histroy of islam, regieme change after regieme change- so what usa did is nothing but historically accurtate
Original post by Minion
Well, for one we don't have a central figure. Islamic education is really bad, especially in those corrupt countries where Islamic schools were removed.
From that we have lack of knowledge and random person with beard who looks 'wise' can then preach nonsense who then gains and audience and then it spreads and so on. From that bad Islamic teachings and ignorance leads to not understanding the Qur'an, non Muslims, terrorists, and generally ignorant people do the same thing.

But why so with Islam more than any other religion? Clearly there must be parts of the koran that allow for it to be misinterpreted so badly. A perfect holy text would make it absoltely clear that this kind of thing isn't allowed.

It doesn't matter if suicide bombing was not around at the time, If suicide itself is a major sin, Then so is suicide bombing, However much people try and justify it.

Though martyrism trumps the sin of suicide.

If you do care to look back, I was not asking for justification of martyrdom in Islam, But answers to the following two questions.

Who is a martyr in Islam?

What are the ways one can become a martyr?

Since you want to use martyrdom in the context of a physical jihad, Then what are the grounds for a physical jihad to be declared?

If a jihad is null and void, Then are they martyrs?

I never said anything about jihad. But according to the parts of the Quran I quoted (amongst numerous others in the Quran and hadiths), dying for Allah is considered a good thing.

Whether you and extremists agree on whether what they do counts as martyrism, or whether they are dying in the name of Allah is irrelevant. They can use the scripture to justify their actions, and the fact that martyrism trumps all other sin, any arguments about how murder or suicide is sinful is completely irrelevant.

As usually when it comes to religious texts, it comes down to interpretations. This is the inherent problem in placing trust into an inherently immutable system.

Original post by getoom

Also on suicide bombing:

I can't watch the second two videos. But the first one still has the problem that martyrism trumpts suicide. In their mind, their interpretation of the scripture supports their actions.

To both of you.

I see no reason to see your interpretation as more correct than that of a terrorist. Pretending that the Quran, or Islam does not or cannot support terrorism is wrong. Much is still open to interpretation, and the closest you have to a ruling on the subject, is through religious leaders, which as we know are divided on the subject.
Reply 190
Original post by Minion

Our role model is Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Our guidance is the Qur'an and the Hadith and Sunnah explain most other things. It's really not a hard religion to follow. Scholars such as Dr Zakir Naik and Ahmed Deedat can clear up a lot of things.
We don't need any other 'central figure'.
Reply 191
Original post by FCI
bin laden :dontknow:thats not the point is it, if you apply aggression toward america, what will you get, a response, that is the leasson to learn. if islamists learn to live peacefully, there wouldnt be the need the 'world police' would there. islamists have conflict with everyone , not just usa, read the news.

BBC/CNN? No thanks.

Who is applying 'aggression towards America'? How many Muslims 'terrorists' have killed people in America compared to the numbers of Muslims that Americans have killed in THEIR OWN COUNTRIES?
The same reason the Irish were portrayed is terrorists a while back - propaganda!
Reply 193
Original post by Error4001
Your values may not be the same as your neighbor's and to force your values on them would be contradictory to your values. Ironic, huh? .
it doesnt matter, unless they instigate conflict (ie train terrorists and send them to threaten usa etc) then it becomes an issue to be dealt with.
We do have a "voting" system in the loosest of sense. .
no you dont, not in sunnah anyway. You now have a mish-mash of western influenced voting rights (ie egypt ) and an 'islamic elected governemt, whcih is a contradiction in terms.
Which he himself must also follow. .
eh? the caliph makes up the rules as he goes along.
Research the definition of "dictatorship"... .
its the same as caliphate.
Which were supported by numerous Western Governments who oppressed their people to satisfy their Western puppet masters. .
they oppressed some people not all, there were hundreds of thousands that fought against rebels you prob dont realise, as is the case in all turmoil in middle east. depending on what side you are on there is opression, or enforcment of law and order. to western eyes this is just more moslem civil war. Yes puppets were installed (by us british not US) to keep peace in a region that couldnt be relied upon tp be peaceful otherwise. Has anything since proved this theory wrong? Is there any islamic country that doesnt have issues with islamist terrorism?
Will these "Islamic terrorists" be above the law?Will these "Islamic terrorists" make their own law? .
almost certainly, who would stop them, ordinary moslems?
Not every Caliph. .
pretty much every
How do you "vote out" a President who decides to nuke a country because he doesn't like their national flag? .
meaning what?
Uh huh.
yes it is uh huh. histroy explains the present.
Original post by Farm_Ecology

I can't watch the second two videos. But the first one still has the problem that martyrism trumpts suicide. In their mind, their interpretation of the scripture supports their actions.

To both of you.

I see no reason to see your interpretation as more correct than that of a terrorist. Pretending that the Quran, or Islam does not or cannot support terrorism is wrong. Much is still open to interpretation, and the closest you have to a ruling on the subject, is through religious leaders, which as we know are divided on the subject.

I just posted fatwa (a ruling) from 3 major scholars, If you want to ignore it then go ahead. And i don't know any scholars which issue a blanket impressibility on Suicide bombing (apart from Anwar al Awlaki whose proofs were refuted on this matter).
Reply 195
Original post by Mazy95
BBC/CNN? No thanks. Who is applying 'aggression towards America'? How many Muslims 'terrorists' have killed people in America compared to the numbers of Muslims that Americans have killed in THEIR OWN COUNTRIES?
neither as many as islamists have killed in moslem countires which is the point you ignored earlier- showing your childish bias on this matter. you are not concerend about casualties, you are making a political statement that usa killing moslems is worse than moslems killin moslems. That is backward thinking and i pointed it out to ash92 earlier.if there were no islamists or terrorists, the usa would not be in iraq or afganistan. It is not jsut the USA that you conflict with is it. If islamists learnt to live peacefully and tollerantly with other religions, the media would have nothing to report- these are the bare bones of the whole subject. But you dont want to face up to them.
Reply 196
Original post by ash92:)
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! It just fascinates me how you attempted the circular reasoning to bring Osama into the discussion. Bravo!Osama lived in a cave to avoid getting assassinated, was that not obvious to you? lolYou make me laugh. How do you suggest that these 'caliphs' living in luxury, with palaces and guards and money beyond their requirements would be stopped by the peasants? Why does nobody stop islamists? Many reasons: corrupt presidents, hidden agendas of foreign powers, hidden location of the terrorists, etc. etc.Lol you're like an American puppy. Just the fact that you think Osama was killed in Abbotabad shows how you can't be taken seriously. You are seriously lacking in both knowledge and understanding of the matters at hand.How old are you, out of interest?
we are talking about islamist terrorists here arnt we, what are you talkin about?bin laden hid in a cavem then moved to a luxury mansion.lol yes you are right these terrorists are 'well hidden' :rolleyes: i mean brilliant hiding place isnt it, in a big walled mansion down the road from pakistani intellegence headquarters. what chance did they have to know?all these islamists all over he world, so well hidden their own moslem governemnts cant find them, but usa cant hit them in the face from 3 miles up in the sky directed from langley virginia.i think you need some real -life experiecne before continuing this debate.and i asked you where ottomans and sultans lived? no answer
Original post by FCI
Again untrue- but thanks for illustrating exactly my point. By readint ghe thread you can see the moslems on it have all not denounced islamists, rather they try re-direct aggression toward USA (when the thread has nothing to do with US). And then they make up stats and ignore the truthful ones- ie that islamists killed more moslems than any US soldier or drone. US have successfully killed more islamists than any moslem force, so it also shows who is motivated to reduce terrorists. Most of us non partizan people that excersise common sense know we would rather US reduce islamist fanatics, and the media reports that fact. it is evident that there is warped bias , and you illustrate this, by putting false spin on conflicts- others have about other wars involving moslems, you have mentioned "oppression (eg in Afghanistan" when there is none in afgan, US went there to take out terroists and taelban that threatened them, and are there at request of afgan government. If they actually wanted to conquer and "oppress Afghanistan" they could do so easily with a succession of air strikes and napalm obliterating afgans forces, and also paksitan too. The reason they are instead using tiny drones and special froces is that they are chasing cowardly islamists that hide behind woemn and children , which is why casualties occur. Hypocracy is also illustrated when for example, a western school teacher names a bear mohammed, a thousand moslems march angrily on streets accross the moslem world and attack embassies. When an islamist attacks moslems in an iraq, afganistan, sudan etc killing hundreds on a daily basis, moslems are silent. This the reason why terrorism is festered in moslem society and why also media links the two.

Team America: World Police isn't a documentary.
Reply 198
Original post by Mazy95
So basically you haven't had much influence or exposure to Islam by your family?
I am a Muslim.

Oh no, I have learnt Arabic, fasted, prayed etc. all the 5 pillars(apart from hajj), the same for my older brother, who I do not see that often so he does not influence me as such... in the sense that we do not talk about religion and he does not force his ideas on me. It is just something I have chosen myself, I would say I am probably a humanist. I respect you for having faith, I am just a very cynical person...^-^
Original post by FCI
what 'clan' islam has not a clan,

Where did I imply it had?
Original post by FCI

educate yourself.

Your making yourself look like a clown.
Original post by FCI

the first caliphs seized power with their armies,

No they were voted in.
Original post by FCI

there was no 'moslem vote'

If you say so.
Original post by FCI

and then curshed all opposstion (riddah wars)

The rebels planned to attack Medina.

Muhammed (saw) ruled Arabia and the leadership of it would be succeeded by his successor as it said in a sahih hadith.

Since Abu Bakr (r.a) was elected, He was to be a successor and keep civil order a d peace, defeat rebels who were causing mayhem and havoc in the state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending