The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do southerners think of Northerners?

Scroll to see replies

lol at Southerners and their crappy 10 cubic foot houses.
They're people too. That's my only reconception
Original post by OU Student
Good.

I have friends who live up north. They refer to me as Almost French because I live closer to France than them...

Yay! :smile:
Original post by Archimonkey
What do Southerners think of Northerners? Eg, accent etc. What kind of impression do you have? Let's say Southern as in South of Nottingham.....

Southern as in south of Watford you mean?
Reply 24
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I find that Northerners can be a bit grating with their belief that Southerners are soft and weak because our climate is marginally warmer than theirs.

I have never come across a person that thinks that.
they can think what they like with their variety of comedy accents and average football teams.............
Reply 26
Do northerners struggle to use automated phone services? I've often wondered at this :lol:
Reply 27
Original post by Archimonkey
I understand, the same could be said of the lack of distinction of clumping Lancashire people with Yorkshire people, they're quite different types, but in the wider picture they're more similar than say the general south. Would it not be the same with regards to comparing south of Notts with the general south-east. how are they different? just interested.

To be honest it's quite difficult to define, partly because people move around a lot more these days so local stereotypes don't stay fixed, but also because the ideas about the North-South divide are based on a lot of vague generalities which often don't apply on an individual level.

My best explanation would be that the cities/large towns in the Midlands are often ex-industrial, with large swathes of fairly rural countryside around them. The people there are (in my experience) in general reasonably friendly and matter-of-fact, and consider themselves to be geographically and socially quite different from London and the South East. Obviously they are closer in terms of distance than somewhere like Sheffield or Hull, but I don't think that necessarily comes across in how they live. And a Brummie accent is just as different from a London one as a Yorkshire accent is!

The only major difference IME is that Midlanders care a lot less about stereotypes about either the North or South.

Tim2341
You sound quite stuck up, just like a typical southerner.

I didn't intend it to sound that way. I'm not a born southerner - I grew up in the Midlands, so have had a lifetime of Northerners telling me I'm a Southern nancy/posh girl and Southerners telling me I'm a scruffy Northern git living somewhere in the Arctic wastelands, when obviously the truth is somewhere between those two extremes. It's the wilful ignorance of both sides that really irritates me.

I live in London now, so I suppose I am a Southerner geographically, but I don't think that I've changed much as a person simply by moving location. And I can't wait to move out and back to somewhere I can actually afford to buy a house.
Reply 28
Northerners think southerners are posh, and southerners think northerners are the opposite, pretty much. I live in the south now but still consider myself a Yorkshire girl at heart :tongue:

And I love northerners accents!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'll be honest because what's the point in the thread otherwise? A lot of northern/midlands accents annoy me. Liverpool and Newcastle especially.

If you keep going North you get to Scotland whose accents I like.
Reply 30
They drink bitter, follow rugby league and all their meals are in batter.
Reply 31
Those damn accents!
Original post by OU Student
Northerners talk funny.:tongue: Seriously, I don't really have an opinion on them. But to me, anything above Ivybridge is north.

I'm amazed to see Ivybridge mentioned on here. I'm from Ivybridge haha, no one knows where it is.

I don't really see why there is an issue between north/south. We are all just people. I'm not a fan of Liverpudlian accents as I think it sounds too harsh but people can't help what accent they have.
(edited 11 years ago)
I find that Northerners can be a bit grating with their belief that Southerners are soft and weak because our climate is marginally warmer than theirs.

This is so true.

After moving to London I like to walk around in a t-shirt and comment non-stop about now nice the weather is in the south :tongue:
There's snow deep enough to bury vans up here at the moment, and it's March.
Original post by Rooster523
Southern as in south of Watford you mean?

I think you mean south of Watford Gap(service station on M1 commonly conceived by us southerners as the marker of ventuing up north), watford is a town definitely in the south , deep into it infact in north Greater London but definitely too low to signify the south by your reckoning cambridge wouldn't be in the south
Reply 36
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Do northerners struggle to use automated phone services? I've often wondered at this :lol:

A mate of mine got an iPhone 5 the other day. Siri understands him about 40% of the time, hahaha.
Reply 37
Being from Nottingham, I've always wondered whether people would consider me to be from the north or the south. To be honest I can't imagine there being much difference between people apart from accents, I think there's more of a difference between people depending on the place they live, be it a large city or a rural village.
Northerners... From the ones I've met I always thought they were friendly, funny, freakishly immune to the cold (Geordies, I'm looking at you specifically here!), annoying with their sense of superiority over us 'soft' southerners though!! Also all passionate footy fans (which I like) even the girls, which is even better!
While I agree there is a lot of 'banter' about the North/ South divide, I love my Northern monkey of a BF all the same. Tea-cakes and all!

Although his dad has to talk to me like I'm a child sometimes; accents regardless of dialect often throw me off!

Latest

Trending

Trending