The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do southerners think of Northerners?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nick d terrier

I think you mean south of Watford Gap(service station on M1 commonly conceived by us southerners as the marker of ventuing up north), watford is a town definitely in the south , deep into it infact in north Greater London but definitely too low to signify the south by your reckoning cambridge wouldn't be in the south

My apologies, I did indeed mean everything north of Watford.

Cambridge is full of northeners.
"Its grim up north"
As a Southerner I think that Northerners are filthy, uncouth and common.
Reply 43
Original post by Helenia
The fact that they think that anything south of Nottingham is the South is quite endearingly naive. The Midlands is a very different sort of area from the South East, which is what most people think of when they think of stereotypical Southerners.

Northerners consider the Midlands to be the south and southerners consider it to be the north. Only midlanders consider the midlands to exist :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by Psyk
Northerners consider the Midlands to be the south and southerners consider it to be the north. Only midlanders consider the midlands to exist :tongue:

Midlands = No Mans Land.

But for me, everything below the M62 is the south of the country, everything above the north. Look on a map of England, that's the real middle.
Reply 45
They prefer rugby league to rugby union, which is silly.
Reply 46
Original post by OU Student
Northerners talk funny.:tongue: Seriously, I don't really have an opinion on them. But to me, anything above Ivybridge is north.

Agree :smile:.

I get scared when people mention more North than Ivybridge :smile:.
I live on the South East coast of England. I went to the midlands for a university interview, obviously, as a Southerner, considered it to be the North :wink: Everybody was really friendly, to be honest. I got called a "duck" quite a few times .. :tongue:
Original post by Psyk

A friend lives in the Midlands. I remember her moaning about how left out she feels. If she goes anywhere down south, she's a northerner and if she goes anywhere north, she's considered a southerner.

When I lived in London, I was taken to a football match between Brighton and Charlton. The Brighton fans were calling the Charlton fans northerners. I don't think my friend was too happy that I agreed with them.:tongue: And he was taking the piss out of them for not talking properly. Apparently, they say "Bwighton" and not "Brighton".
Reply 49
That they're from the north XD
Reply 50
Original post by Archimonkey
What do Southerners think of Northerners? Eg, accent etc. What kind of impression do you have? Let's say Southern as in South of Nottingham.....

The odd joke about Northerners being a few years behind the South, the accents, our History teacher (Mancurian) jokes about the poor diet consisting of only pies etc. But nothing personal or actually offensive
Original post by A_Howells
Agree :smile:.

I get scared when people mention more North than Ivybridge :smile:.

Do you find that your northern friends say things like "you live on the edge of nowhere"? I also think the words "a billion miles from civilisation" came up. As has being now known as Almost French, because I'm closer to France than I am them.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
As a Southerner I think that Northerners are filthy, uncouth and common.

Southerners are just poncy, illiterate parasites with no personal hygiene.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Drewski
Midlands = No Mans Land.

But for me, everything below the M62 is the south of the country, everything above the north. Look on a map of England, that's the real middle.

Ah ****, Southern by 2 miles :frown:
Original post by geetar
They prefer rugby league to rugby union, which is silly.

This isn't even a Northern thing, more just a narrow corridor pretty much exactly aligned with the M62 and mainly consisting of smaller towns (only Leeds has a team of the big cities).
Reply 54
Well I went up north for a few uni days and they seemed much nicer than most at London :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Archimonkey
I understand, the same could be said of the lack of distinction of clumping Lancashire people with Yorkshire people, they're quite different types, but in the wider picture they're more similar than say the general south. Would it not be the same with regards to comparing south of Notts with the general south-east. how are they different? just interested.

London is like a different country-

England splits into 5 bits:

London and South East

South West

MIDLANDS

North East

North West
Reply 56
I think they tend to be labour supporters, tend to dislike Maggie!

Quite friendly and much better at queuing than Londoners who are almost always in a rush!
Reply 57
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I find that Northerners can be a bit grating with their belief that Southerners are soft and weak because our climate is marginally warmer than theirs.

To be fair, a large amount of southeners who come up here for university don't fail to complain about how 'cold' it is all the time :lol:, nor do they fail to laugh at the accents of the locals.

You're a funny breed you southeners :wink:
Reply 58
Original post by a729
London is like a different country-

England splits into 5 bits:

London and South East

South West

MIDLANDS

North East

North West

You missed out Yorkshire and the Humber :rolleyes:

Edit: East Anglia too.