The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do southerners think of Northerners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
What's a 'Northern' accent? There's more than one accent in my county never mind the whole of the 'North' :rolleyes:
Original post by roh
Ah ****, Southern by 2 miles :frown:

This isn't even a Northern thing, more just a narrow corridor pretty much exactly aligned with the M62 and mainly consisting of smaller towns (only Leeds has a team of the big cities).

Bradford and Hull? Sheffield and York have a team, they're just not very good.
I'm from the south east and the general conception of northerners seems to be that they're quite rude and chavvy, (sorry just telling the truth), I always imagined it to be not a very rich area with small housing and people on how income but thats probably not true for all areas...
Reply 103
I see them as beneath me tbh
Reply 104
Original post by 90pies an hour
Bradford and Hull? Sheffield and York have a team, they're just not very

They're not that big compared to Manc, Liverpool and Leeds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by Bluffroom
you'd hate mine... my accent is awful

You're from Cumbria, hmm... I don't think I've ever heard a Cumbrian accent. I've just been looking through google to find them now!
Original post by Vionar
You're from Cumbria, hmm... I don't think I've ever heard a Cumbrian accent. I've just been looking through google to find them now!

I can skype you or PM you a voice clip?
Reply 107
Original post by Bluffroom
I can skype you or PM you a voice clip?

If you'd PM me a voice clip, that would be wonderful! I guess my Surrey accent isn't very interesting in return.
Original post by Vionar
If you'd PM me a voice clip, that would be wonderful! I guess my Surrey accent isn't very interesting in return.

Give me say 5-10 minutes.
Also, a lot of southerners have a sort of 'grudge' because southern taxes are higher and often get distributed up north, which isn't really fair since there are more unemployed/on benefits in the north.
My boyfriend's southern family legit look scared when I've spoken too scousely/quickly for them to realise what I've said.:s-smilie:
My friend is Northern and I love how he shortens every word/sentence as much as possible and always rib him for it i.e in the bar becomes 'int bar'. Endearing really.
Original post by roh
They're not that big compared to Manc, Liverpool and Leeds.

]
Aye, still big cities though and technically Bradford is a bigger city than Manchester and Liverpool.
Reply 113
Don't really have one.
Reply 114
Original post by _SussexStudent
Also, a lot of southerners have a sort of 'grudge' because southern taxes are higher and often get distributed up north, which isn't really fair since there are more unemployed/on benefits in the north.

But the government invest more into infrastructure 'down south', you only have to look at London to see that so there are two sides to every coin.
Reply 115
Original post by 90pies an hour
]
Aye, still big cities though and technically Bradford is a bigger city than Manchester and Liverpool.

True, and Bradford have cleverly expanded by turning the traditional town centre into parkland these days. Fear it will always be Leeds' poor relation though (and I'm going to work there!).
Original post by roh
True, and Bradford have cleverly expanded by turning the traditional town centre into parkland these days. Fear it will always be Leeds' poor relation though (and I'm going to work there!).

Bradford has so much potential it's just a shame the people who run the city are cretins.
Where the word "the" gets left behind - M1 Junction 25. According to McIntyre.

Reply 118
"Go to the pub, drink 10 pints get completely plastered, go back home and beat the wife, dirty northern b******s". This football song from my area (Devon) pretty much sums up the attitude of most southerners towards northerners (not my personal opinion). However being sung by fans from Devon (e.g. Plymouth Argyle and Torquay united fans), this song is aimed at pretty much every other team in the country, not just those from the north, as most places are north of here.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Turty
A mate of mine got an iPhone 5 the other day. Siri understands him about 40% of the time, hahaha.

Say Siri again. I love it when you say it. :sexface:

Latest

Trending

Trending