The Student Room Group

The seven social classes of the UK

Scroll to see replies

Emergent Service Worker!

This would be really interesting when coupled with a political compass test
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Yes, I mean high level bankers who can influence other societies (which they have to catastrophic effect) and thus can't be constrained to a singular upper class but have to be acknowledged as part of an international community.

Sorry you feel my refinements are warped :lol:

Feel free to propose an alternative set of terminology that could encompass the modern class system if your opinion is different.

In all honesty, it sounds like you should be agreeing with me. This is exactly what I take issue with in the OP definitions and what I feel I cover with my own.

I do agree that the survey is flawed, but I just don't like your counter proposals too much either! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
I do agree, but I just don't like your counter proposals too much! :biggrin:

That's a shame, howcomes? The more critical appraisal it gets the better my understanding :yep:

I'm guessing you're going into banking and assumed I was giving out some sort of bankers = illuminati crap?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
That's a shame, howcomes? The more critical appraisal it gets the better my understanding :yep:

I'm guessing you're going into banking and assumed I was giving out some sort of bankers = illuminati crap?

nah just innaccuracy gets on me OCD :wink:
Reply 24
I am now branded as one of the 'Elite'

Middle class, yes. Elite, no.
Apparently (Done via my father) Elite...can guarantee this is wrong Middle Class, yes...Elite pushing the boat. I think it's a load of ****.
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
nah just innaccuracy gets on me OCD :wink:

Well tell me what was inaccurate then, or if you can't then at least admit you read my post and got angry at the mention of bankers being able to influence society :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Its a load of old rubbish. Apparently I'm "new affluent worker", yeah so affluent I'm reliant on tax credits.
There are so many anomalies it's ridiculous. And the BBC is pushing it like it's the next best thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Established Middle Class :erm:
Elite, because my parents paid off the mortgage extremely quickly, with none of the holidays most people would enjoy (ie we went camping every summer for my childhood, instead of tanning in various countries).

I think it's pretty accurate though, although the 'cultural' portion seemed a bit arbitrary, as it assumes that things like ballet and opera is something culturally enlightened people would do, when some may just see it as a load of rubbish
Reply 31
Social class isn't something you can really measure. It's got more to do with things like your accent, the area you live in and grew up in, your attitude to things like education, careers, the way you raise your kids, your ambitions and interests. I think in a huge way it's something you inherit from your parents and is difficult to change, as anyone who's ever read The Great Gatsby will know :tongue:.

You can be working class and rich, middle class and poor, etc. In my family, my mum's parents were medium income middle class and my dad's parents were working class farmers who had become wealthy through their work. By the time I was born, due to circumstances we were very poor, lived off benefits etc for my entire childhood but we lived in a pretty wealthy area (housing benefit), went to school with middle class kids and spoke with a middle class accent. Whenever I do these types of quizzes for my family they tell me I'm lower working class, but I know I'm not.

It's definitely less easily defined than say, 100 years ago (or even 50), and that's a good thing.
It sounds stupid. I like Gustav Holst. Why should liking classical music have a bearing other than that degenerates wouldn't listen to it? Also I couldn't fill out a few things regarding who I know because I'm a bit of a social reject.
Definitely "New Affluent Workers"

Was solidly working class growing up but now probably lower middle-class.
Reply 34
Traditional working class, parents are Military/driver/factory worker and low ranking Civil servent, and my grandparents on both sides were Miners and Farmers for generations.
Reply 35
I am apparently in the social elite. I'm not convinced.

I don't think the calculator takes in enough information to be reliable. I would definitely say that my family (I'm still at home) should fall into the upper-middle class, but "elite"? Hmm.
Reply 36
Original post by Martyn*
I'm precariat. I would consider myself more cultured than a lot of affluents.

hmmm :beard:
Original post by Treeroy
I am apparently in the social elite. I'm not convinced.

I don't think the calculator takes in enough information to be reliable. I would definitely say that my family (I'm still at home) should fall into the upper-middle class, but "elite"? Hmm.

Also consider how much your position would change if you moved out and lived alone. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
New affluent worker o.O
Reply 39
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Also consider how much your position would change if you moved out and lived alone. It doesn't really make sense to me.

Well, I guess I meant that my family is elite, not me.

Thinking about it now, maybe it is accurate for my family. My parents both went to Oxbridge, my dad is CEO of a leading research company and we live in a very middle class area of the country, so have lots of rich friends. But I wouldn't say we are massively rich. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending