The Student Room Group

Is gene therapy the future of treating genetic disease?

Hi guys!
I am currently doing my EPQ on gene therapy and wanted to get people's opinions as part of my research.
If you could answer a few of my questions, I would really appreciate it.
My questions are:

1) How far do you agree that gene therapy is the future of treating genetic disease and why?
2) Which factor should be considered the most important when developing a new treatment for illnesses? (e.g. cost effective, quality of life, effectiveness/success rate)
3) Should the government and the NHS fund gene therapy treatment for patients?

Thank you very much!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by amahmood95
Hi guys!
I am currently doing my EPQ on gene therapy and wanted to get people's opinions as part of my research.
My questions are:

1) How far do you agree that gene therapy is the future of treating genetic disease and why?
2) Which factor should be considered the most important when developing a new treatment for illnesses? (e.g. cost effective, quality of life, effectiveness/success rate)

Thank you very much!!!!

1) In the cases where the new genes can be expressed in all relevant cells, I agree 100% that gene therapy should be used because then all the symptoms will be permantly gone and no further medication will be needed

2) Definately quality of life is most important, but it still has to be cost effective (i.e. harsh as it sounds, if the person will never work then it shouldn't be given or if the person is predicted to only have a few years of life anyway it shouldn't be given)

3) Like my answer for number 2, it should be provided by the NHS only if the person will be able to work in the future and will gain life from it (i.e. someone who is already 70 years old shouldn't be eligible)
Original post by amahmood95
Hi guys!
My questions are:

Thank you very much!!!!

1) It is the mid term future I believe. The long term future will be the eradication of genetic abnormalities either by abortion or some gene removal technique. I think we will see a day in the future where unborn babies with genetic abnormalities are terminated by force.

2) Quality of life is the most important factor when deciding medical treatment. Any other factors that come into consideration are plain wrong. IE, why should we worry about the cost to the NHS of cancer drugs when we are spending billions on less worthy causes? Worry about cost with those causes. Also, all these people making a fuss now about the cost of drugs, how about 20 years down the line when they need drugs? I guess really this is a worthless point as the people who make these decisions will have access to the best private medical care.

3) One 100 percent yes.

My only fear with gene technology is the idea of creating super humans and hybrids. This I think is the prime reason for gene technology, and solving genetic medical problems is an add on used to sell it to the population in general.

Original post by Scotty Bear
1) In the cases where the new genes can be expressed in all relevant cells, I agree 100% that gene therapy should be used because then all the symptoms will be permantly gone and no further medication will be needed

2) Definately quality of life is most important, but it still has to be cost effective (i.e. harsh as it sounds, if the person will never work then it shouldn't be given or if the person is predicted to only have a few years of life anyway it shouldn't be given)

3) Like my answer for number 2, it should be provided by the NHS only if the person will be able to work in the future and will gain life from it (i.e. someone who is already 70 years old shouldn't be eligible)

This is a bit harsh. That 70 year old will have paid thousands (minimum) more into the system than someone much younger than them. They funded the developments of their working life so why should they not benefit now?!
Reply 3
Original post by Interchange

This is a bit harsh. That 70 year old will have paid thousands (minimum) more into the system than someone much younger than them. They funded the developments of their working life so why should they not benefit now?!

You said it yourself, gene therapy will create superhumans. Now where exactly to draw the line is difficult, but providing retirement stays at 65, that still gives people 5 years after retirement to enjoy their well earned retirement. If you start treating people over 70, either they won't actually gain many years from it so per year the therapy is actually more expensive (i.e. a 10 year old has the potiental to get 70 years + so cost divided by 70 years is a lot less than for a 70 year old who may get 10 good years out of it). You may argue, well the 10 year old could be involved in a freak accident and die 2 days after treatment, but in general since the treatment in the beginning would be very expensive, the biggest gainers should get it. Also a 70 year old has no dependants, whereas a 30/40 year old is likely to have dependant children. Also, I read that the chances of gene therapy working after the age of 60 (or could have been 50 I can't quite remember) is significantly lower.
Original post by Scotty Bear
You said it yourself, gene therapy will create superhumans. Now where exactly to draw the line is difficult, but providing retirement stays at 65, that still gives people 5 years after retirement to enjoy their well earned retirement. If you start treating people over 70, either they won't actually gain many years from it so per year the therapy is actually more expensive (i.e. a 10 year old has the potiental to get 70 years + so cost divided by 70 years is a lot less than for a 70 year old who may get 10 good years out of it). You may argue, well the 10 year old could be involved in a freak accident and die 2 days after treatment, but in general since the treatment in the beginning would be very expensive, the biggest gainers should get it. Also a 70 year old has no dependants, whereas a 30/40 year old is likely to have dependant children. Also, I read that the chances of gene therapy working after the age of 60 (or could have been 50 I can't quite remember) is significantly lower.

I see your point and it is logical.

However, people are living longer and many people in their 70's may live for another 30 odd years.

I have a problem with the cost of medicine in general. How can we deny people life changing medication when we spend so much money on other things? Also, the companies that make these medicines make huge profits at our expense.
Reply 5
Depends in whether we are talking somatic or germ line. Its an ethical minefield for a start.
If germ line the patient cannot consent only the parent and as the alteration may be inherited nor can offspring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your responses guys! They've been a real help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending