The Student Room Group

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoffreyBaratheon
Yeah, but the point is that it doesn't corroborate his '99%' claim.

If that was your point, then state it.
Come to holland one day in the summer, we have a gay party in Amsterdam every year with 1 000 000 gay loving people, the gay parade !!
Reply 162
Original post by MittenRef
Title says it all. I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the pure hatred that some people have for the LGBT community.

Just noticed the other thread was removed - "Why should society accept Gay people?"

Very unfortunate that those with alternative views cannot express them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by wardah2
Obviously I'd be angry, as would a homosexual if I told them my views, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I wouldn't force people to follow my religion, as some people in society are trying to force people to accept homosexuality.

People forcing you to engage in homosexual activity would be equivalent to you forcing people to follow your religion, not people forcing you to accept it. Plenty of people 'accept' your religion, just as you should accept homosexuality.
Reply 164
Original post by Ronove
People forcing you to engage in homosexual activity would be equivalent to you forcing people to follow your religion, not people forcing you to accept it. Plenty of people 'accept' your religion, just as you should accept homosexuality.

I think again with this you are back to tolerating vs accepting.
Reply 165
Original post by ufo2012

Switch accepting for tolerating and my point is exactly the same. Don't try to distract from what I was saying.
Reply 166
Original post by Ronove
Switch accepting for tolerating and my point is exactly the same. Don't try to distract from what I was saying.

Excuse me for 'distracting' from what you were saying.

My point is just as valid and relevant as yours.
Original post by ufo2012

I think you are wrong.

To tolerate is to allow the existence of something, under sufferance. Despite the delusions of some yokels, homophobes are not in a position to dictate our lives or "allow" us to live.

So you can either accept it, or drive yourself insane and become increasingly isolated by bizarre anti-gay rhetoric and conspiracy theories.
Whilst I don't understand how people of the same sex are attracted to each other it doesn't bother me at all, I have friends which are gay and it doesn't concern me whatsoever. One thing that perplexes me is why gay people want marriage over civil partnerships, they have the same legal standing, the only difference is the religious aspect. Considering no religion that I know of tolerates homosexuality let alone embraces it, I don't understand why homosexuals would want marriage as same sex marriage would be against whatever religion they follow.

I'm not religious or gay and am not against the idea, just wondering what the mindset behind it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BradWills20
Whilst I don't understand how people of the same sex are attracted to each other it doesn't bother me at all, I have friends which are gay and it doesn't concern me whatsoever. One thing that perplexes me is why gay people want marriage over civil partnerships, they have the same legal standing, the only difference is the religious aspect. Considering no religion that I know of tolerates homosexuality let alone embraces it, I don't understand why homosexuals would want marriage as same sex marriage would be against whatever religion they follow.

I'm not religious or gay and am not against the idea, just wondering what the mindset behind it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference is not just the religious aspect, and they don't have the same legal standing. Even if they did they still aren't being granted access to the same secular institution.
Plus Quakers (branch of Christianity) and I believe a certain kind of Jews (I should really learn what they're called) are pro-gay and want to marry gay people.
Reply 170
Because people are stupid. Ignoring religion, often people dislike the gay community due to their family's views, friend's views, what they see on TV etc... I think that the dislike for the gay community is passed down through generations. Children these days, even more in the olden days, are always presented with a man and women couple. Those who show the man and the man and the woman and the woman often get slated horrifically. Why? Because like someone above said, the majority of people hate change. They hate different people. Different people are there to be poked fun at, and laughed at, and humiliated. Unfortunately society will always be this way. We can only hope it improves. For example, gay marriage being allowed in NY. Yes it is only a small step, however hopefully this means that homosexual individuals will be treated right one day.

To whoever keeps giving a thumbs down to the comments that are for gay people, learn to deal with opinions. Being homophobic is not going to get you anywhere in life. No matter what you religion, parents and friends say, homophobia is not to be tolerated and should not be accepted.

Myself, i am straight, but throughout the years i have fought long and hard for homosexual people to have rights, and i will continue to do so. There is nothing dirty about being gay. Nothing sinful. Nothing about being gay should make people turn against you.
Original post by ufo2012
Just noticed the other thread was removed - "Why should society accept Gay people?"

Very unfortunate that those with alternative views cannot express them.

I don't think it was shut down because the thread starter had alternate views, in fact it was open for a very long time. I think it was removed because it got off topic, people were focusing too much on whether or not incest and bestiality and polygamy were okay and not focusing on gay people (although incest was mentioned in the first post).
They're not shut down because they have unpopular opinions, they are shut down if they break rules. Other people may have something to say if you have an alternate view, but it doesn't mean you can't have it or express it, just that we don't have to take it seriously if you can't back it up (and you will be asked to back it up).
Original post by minimarshmallow
I don't think it was shut down because the thread starter had alternate views, in fact it was open for a very long time. I think it was removed because it got off topic, people were focusing too much on whether or not incest and bestiality and polygamy were okay and not focusing on gay people (although incest was mentioned in the first post).
They're not shut down because they have unpopular opinions, they are shut down if they break rules. Other people may have something to say if you have an alternate view, but it doesn't mean you can't have it or express it, just that we don't have to take it seriously if you can't back it up (and you will be asked to back it up).

I HATE it when homosexuality is compared to incest!
What does my sexual preferences have to do with having an increased chance of bringing a potentially handicapped child into the world?!
Original post by Scienceisgood
I HATE it when homosexuality is compared to incest!
What does my sexual preferences have to do with having an increased chance of bringing a potentially handicapped child into the world?!

Let's not take this thread off into the land of the other thread and have it closed too.
The point is that isn't the people with alternate views who are being silenced, it's the people who take threads off topic who are silenced, because that's the rule!
(edited 11 years ago)
Here are some reasons why I'm against gay marriage.

1. Being gay is not natural. Here in the UK we always reject unnatural things such as glasses, polyester and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, the same way hanging around with tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalising gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour, like marrying pets- because a dog has a legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage would be less meaningful if gay marriage was legal; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55 hour just for fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriage is valid because they produce children, that's why old people and infertile straight couples can't marry.

7. Obviously gay parents would raise gay children, as straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion, in a theocracy like ours, the values of only one religion are imposed on our country, that's why we have only one religion here.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and female role model at home... That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society, we can never adapt to new norms, that's why we still haven't gotten used to cars, the service sector economy and longer life spans.

Ps: I'm the biggest queen going.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 175
Original post by liamsclarke
Here are some reasons why I'm against gay marriage.

1. Being gay is not natural. Here in the UK we always reject unnatural things such as glasses, polyester and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, the same way hanging around with tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalising gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour, like marrying pets- because a dog has a legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage would be less meaningful if gay marriage was legal; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55 hour just for fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriage is valid because they produce children, that's why old people and infertile straight couples can't marry.

7. Obviously gay parents would raise gay children, as straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion, in a theocracy like ours, the values of only one religion are imposed on our country, that's why we have only one religion here.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and female role model at home... That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society, we can never adapt to new norms, that's why we still haven't gotten used to cars, the service sector economy and longer life spans.

Ps: I'm the biggest queen going.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

There are so many things wrong with what I've just read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by MostUncivilised
Did I say that it was? No.

But equally, it was nothing like your claim that those who engaged in same-sex intercourse were hunted down by packs of rabid peasants.

And your recourse to Tacitus is a real stretch, considering we're talking about pre-Christian medieval Europe, not antiquity.

Because antiquity wasn't pre-christian.

Hmm....
Reply 177
Original post by DEVVO

To whoever keeps giving a thumbs down to the comments that are for gay people, learn to deal with opinions. Being homophobic is not going to get you anywhere in life. No matter what you religion, parents and friends say, homophobia is not to be tolerated and should not be accepted.

Oh the Irony....the Irony, you shout out against some people and say "DEAL WITH OPINIONS" yet cry out against people who hold a different one.

Let's re-word that statement shall we.

"To whoever keeps giving a thumbs down to the comments that against gay people, learn to deal with opinions. Being homosexual is not going to get you anywhere in life. Mo matter what your religion, parents and friends say, homosexuality is not to be tolerated and should not be accepted.
Original post by Syrokal
Oh the Irony....the Irony, you shout out against some people and say "DEAL WITH OPINIONS" yet cry out against people who hold a different one.

Let's re-word that statement shall we.

"To whoever keeps giving a thumbs down to the comments that against gay people, learn to deal with opinions. Being homosexual is not going to get you anywhere in life. Mo matter what your religion, parents and friends say, homosexuality is not to be tolerated and should not be accepted.

Neither is heterosexuality because, heterosexual people *tend* to have kids which mostly ends up burning a hole in your wallet/back pocket.
Original post by Syrokal
Because antiquity wasn't pre-christian.

Hmm....

Oh right, so the Germans were Christian in the 1st century AD were they?

Enough with your unlettered rants and tiresome "contributions".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending