The Student Room Group

copolymers

I'm struggling on understanding how you know which alkenes have been used to create a copolymer when you are given the copolymer's structural formula. I just don't get how you do it and the Chemical Ideas book isn't so helpful :frown:. Any advice?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by krisshP
I'm struggling on understanding how you know which alkenes have been used to create a copolymer when you are given the copolymer's structural formula. I just don't get how you do it and the Chemical Ideas book isn't so helpful :frown:. Any advice?

Thanks

A copolymer consists of 2 monomers. There are certain types of copolymer.
The monomers would have to be distinct enough for you to tell apart.
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
A copolymer consists of 2 monomers. There are certain types of copolymer.
The monomers would have to be distinct enough for you to tell apart.

But how do I know which ALKENES were used to create a given copolymer?
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP
But how do I know which ALKENES were used to create a given copolymer?

The alkenes are the monomers . . . Except that the double bond has been broken in the polymerization reaction. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
The alkenes are the monomers . . . Except that the double bond has been broken in the polymerization reaction. :smile:

See the attachment
copolymers.jpg

This question is bugging me. Can you please help me with it? The answer is but-1-ene and propene. But I need to actually understand why??? I know that if the chain has repeating monomers. So if you take out one monomer, you should just see the 2 alkenes used to make the copolymer. But for some reason when I take out a single monomer and draw it, I get stuck since I get a wrong structure.
Reply 5
Original post by krisshP
See the attachment
copolymers.jpg

This question is bugging me. Can you please help me with it? The answer is but-1-ene and propene. But I need to actually understand why??? I know that if the chain has repeating monomers. So if you take out one monomer, you should just see the 2 alkenes used to make the copolymer. But for some reason when I take out a single monomer and draw it, I get stuck since I get a wrong structure.

Start by drawing out the ethyl and methyl groups completely, it should clarify where the propene and butene come from.
EDIT: Don't let the bend in the chain confuse you - its still a straight chain monomer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by joostan
Start by drawing out the ethyl and methyl groups completely, it should clarify where the propene and butene come from.
EDIT: Don't let the bend in the chain confuse you - its still a straight chain monomer.

I did that and then the rest looked easy.

Reply 7
Original post by krisshP
I did that and then the rest looked easy.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest