The Student Room Group

Women only carriages on trains

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Women here dont have enough of an issue with gropers as the other countries mentioned so there is no point

I have had issues with men on trains, but luckily it has been non physical, even if a bit strange and rather frightening. I certaintly never felt the need for a women's only carriage at any time though.
Original post by CodeJack
More cameras, places at stations that women can report this immediately, people of authority on trains? A whole lot cheaper and quicker than more train carriages which cost through the earth and are in short supply due to there only being one or two British companies making them any more. This means importing from other countries (Even more expensive).

Importing more carriages is a bit moot, as I'm not (and nor is anyone, bar the OP) suggesting this is a necessary policy in the UK. The problem with Japan, at least as I understand it (and this has been ongoing since at least the 1980s when my parents lived there) is that the carriages are soooooo full, cameras would be useless, as the reason the men do it is because there is extremely little chance they would be caught. Unless you do as my mother's friend did, and grab the hand, force it skywards and call out in your best japanese demanding to know who's hand this is, and see who goes reddest first. Unlikely that there would be room for 'people of authority' on the trains to move around (seriously, they have 'pushers' CRAMMING people in through the doors - imagine the Tube then times by 10), so I suppose this seemed like the only solution.

Of course, what really needs to be changed is a culture where men think it is ok to grab a woman without her consent (and that IS a feminist statement).
Reply 22
Can't see that there'd be any point to this, especially in the UK. Perhaps we need to reflect on our culture as to why this could be considered as being plausible (anywhere, let alone the UK)
Reply 23
Original post by flying plum
Importing more carriages is a bit moot, as I'm not (and nor is anyone, bar the OP) suggesting this is a necessary policy in the UK. The problem with Japan, at least as I understand it (and this has been ongoing since at least the 1980s when my parents lived there) is that the carriages are soooooo full, cameras would be useless, as the reason the men do it is because there is extremely little chance they would be caught. Unless you do as my mother's friend did, and grab the hand, force it skywards and call out in your best japanese demanding to know who's hand this is, and see who goes reddest first. Unlikely that there would be room for 'people of authority' on the trains to move around (seriously, they have 'pushers' CRAMMING people in through the doors - imagine the Tube then times by 10), so I suppose this seemed like the only solution.

Of course, what really needs to be changed is a culture where men think it is ok to grab a woman without her consent (and that IS a feminist statement).

True but it's near enough impossible to change the culture, but more men get assaulted, attacked, robbed and that on trains then women. May want to focus on the bigger things like people dying on trains, or preventing terrorism on them, rather than touching a woman. Which is why its pretty unlikely to happen and is countries where it does happen, it has raised a lot of issues about it.
They should sit wherever the men don't want to, bitches be grateful they have an opportunity to leave the kitchen :wink:

:tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by ed-
I can see absolutely no reason why this would be beneficial.

Agreed.

Japan has issues with sexual contact on trains but thats not a huge issue here at all.
Reply 26
True but it's near enough impossible to change the culture, but more men get assaulted, attacked, robbed and that on trains then women. May want to focus on the bigger things like people dying on trains, or preventing terrorism on them, rather than touching a woman. Which is why its pretty unlikely to happen and is countries where it does happen, it has raised a lot of issues about it.

Disgusting that you view someone getting sexually assaulted (which is what touching someone in an inappropriate manner or area is) as worthy of almost ignorance, just because there are 'bigger' issues.
You evidently have no idea how intimidating and horrible it can be.

Better to focus on all the issues possible, rather than ignoring one because you think its less important. Although how you can think sexual assault isnt important is beyond me.
Reply 27
Original post by kunoichi
Disgusting that you view someone getting sexually assaulted (which is what touching someone in an inappropriate manner or area is) as worthy of almost ignorance, just because there are 'bigger' issues.

Better to focus on all the issues possible, rather than ignoring one because you think its less important. Although how you can think sexual assault isnt important is beyond me.

I'm not saying I'm ignoring it, I'm saying that the people who make these decisions will end up putting a lot of things in front of this. There are limited resources so they can't do everything that people campaign for. I'm not being disgusting, I'm saying what will most likely happen. If you want them to change then you can go out there and make a stand, but posting on TSR and quoting me, not going to make a difference.
Original post by SannaS
London don't have it, everyone too busy to have time to annoy women on trains

They have time to do this:

Reply 29

How's he ignoring it? He even agreed it was a problem. He was merely pointing out an obvious statistic that men get assaulted more than women on public transport. And to be honest I'd rather get groped once than have my head kicked in.
Reply 30
I'm not saying I'm ignoring it, I'm saying that the people who make these decisions will end up putting a lot of things in front of this. There are limited resources so they can't do everything that people campaign for. I'm not being disgusting, I'm saying what will most likely happen. If you want them to change then you can go out there and make a stand, but posting on TSR and quoting me, not going to make a difference.

The quickest and easiest way is being done by these countries where there is a problem - namely separate carriages. Why should this (very simple) method of prevention not be used.

Better that they can solve what is a relatively easy problem on trains quickly and then focus on other things, than just push it to the bottom of the pile.
Reply 31
Original post by Kiss
How's he ignoring it? He even agreed it was a problem. He was merely pointing out an obvious statistic that men get assaulted more than women on public transport. And to be honest I'd rather get groped once than have my head kicked in.

I dont think they do tbh. If you counted every single woman who got assaulted (sexually or otherwise) on public transport im not sure the numbers would be higher for men when also considering numbers of various assaults on public transport.
If you compare just violent assault then yes men get that more than women, but assault in general is debatable.
(Assuming this conversation is about places where this is a problem, im not talking about the uk right now)

Isnt the sexual assault percentage something like 80% for women in India? There was a big thing about the problems on their transport a couple months back.
I dont think 80% of guys there will have got beat up.

Not that it isnt a problem, but making one more important than the other, whatever the statistics (and the stats will be very high for both) is ridiculous.
Reply 32
Original post by The Socktor
They have time to do this:

Minority
Reply 33
I dont think they do tbh. If you counted every single woman who got assaulted (sexually or otherwise) on public transport im not sure the numbers would be higher for men when also considering numbers of various assaults on public transport.
If you compare just violent assault then yes men get that more than women, but assault in general is debatable.
(Assuming this conversation is about places where this is a problem, im not talking about the uk right now)

Isnt the sexual assault percentage something like 80% for women in India? There was a big thing about the problems on their transport a couple months back.
I dont think 80% of guys there will have got beat up.

Not that it isnt a problem, but making one more important than the other, whatever the statistics (and the stats will be very high for both) is ridiculous.

Yes there are more incidents in which men are the victims by a long shot. and that fact that no one can spare carriages here, they are already far to busy, as said before like in Japan, pushing people onto the train. they cost thousands and thousands of pounds and simply cannot spare trains, especially seeing as they will have to be imported. It's not just a simple fix.
Nope I don't think that there should be. In Japan it is more acceptable to have men grope women in public and do things to them so can see why they have women only area's on transport. Whereas in the UK this doesn't happen or very rarely happens so makes no sense and would be more hassle
I'm not really sure why you keep wittering on about implementing this here. I realise that was the original question, but it's not what I posed to you in my response. You complained that this was a 'feminist' thing and women wanting 'special measures'. I pointed out that it wasn't needed here, and no one was calling for it (bar the original, male poster). My point was that where it had been brought it, it wasn't women wanting special measures because they were being whingey, it was because they had a real problem, which (I then pointed out) could not be addressed by the alternative solutions you suggested. Hence the solution of separate carriages, which is far from ideal.

Why are you harping on about the cost of implementing it here? Neither of the people you are discussing this with are suggesting this is a good idea. I merely was a bit pissed off about your stupid 'bloody feminists' reaction, which clearly showed you hadn't read the initial post properly, or just wanted a chance to have a snide comment about 'bloody feminists'.
Reply 36
Yes there are more incidents in which men are the victims by a long shot. and that fact that no one can spare carriages here, they are already far to busy, as said before like in Japan, pushing people onto the train. they cost thousands and thousands of pounds and simply cannot spare trains, especially seeing as they will have to be imported. It's not just a simple fix.

Well they seem to be doing it pretty well.

Also womens only carriages have been going on for years in Japan now, I think my martial arts instructor first mentioned them about 4 or 5 years ago maybe.
Its not like its even a new thing.

here we dont need the carriages, as its not really an issue on trains here.

Also if you are trying to tell me that more men get beaten up on a train service everyday than women get their asses slapped, groped, boob touched, then get real. How often do you hear of guys getting beaten up on a train in this country? Not very often.
far more common to hear a girl complain about inappropriate touching.

Neither is acceptable of course, but mild sexual assault seems to be seen as such sometimes. Violent assault never is and never is seen as such.
(edited 11 years ago)
What is the benefit of this:confused: most women would either cry sexism or just laugh at it, and, if you introduced women only carriages why stop there, men's only carriages, carriages for gay people... See where I'm going it would lead to greater division
Original post by jack clarke
What is the benefit of this:confused: most women would either cry sexism or just laugh at it, and, if you introduced women only carriages why stop there, men's only carriages, carriages for gay people... See where I'm going it would lead to greater division

1st class women, 1 St class men, 1st class gay ectect

if they don't have these it could be discrimination if the others do have it
(edited 11 years ago)
I feel this is a splendid idea that can be progressed even further.

I have an idea; If they were to supply ironing boards and perhaps a sandwich table in the trains then women could iron their husbands clothes on the way to work and make him a sandwich on the way home from work so their husband isn't left waiting for something to eat when he gets home. Another positive is men won't have to put up with nagging, fidgeting and moaning on the way to work in the morning they can enjoy a train ride in peace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending