The Student Room Group

Why is Star Wars so expensive??

I have never seen the original trilogy and been looking to buy the trilogy on Dvd but its so expensive!

It's almost £70-80 new even on Amazon and at least £30-40 on eBay.. Even the prequel is the same amount.

Can anyone recommend where else I can get all six films?
(The originals, not edited version)

I would like to own them not just stream them, even the free download versions are really bad quality.

Thanks
Reply 1
Buy them pre-owned from any Computer Exchange (CeX) shop - all 6 films will cost you a lot less than £30 in total. Have a look here:

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?rad_which_stock=1&stext=star+wars&section=all&catid=40
Reply 2
If you think that's a bad price, you haven't tried buying anime on DVD.
Buy your DVD's second hand, can save you a ransom.
Reply 3
Just from the reputation CeX have, I wouldn't trust them. Look at their Facebook page; it's full of complaints from both in store customer service and the condition of the items. They're very stingy with returns, so it might be worth spending a little bit extra and buying them from somewhere else. I saw them in Asda for about £40 a little while ago :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Louise262
Just from the reputation CeX have, I wouldn't trust them. Look at their Facebook page; it's full of complaints from both in store customer service and the condition of the items. They're very stingy with returns, so it might be worth spending a little bit extra and buying them from somewhere else. I saw them in Asda for about £40 a little while ago :smile:

I didn't know that before now - just had a look at their Facebook page and it is pretty awful. I guess I've been lucky that I never experienced any problems with the staff or stock.

For peace of mind, maybe the OP could buy the films from a more reputable source?
Reply 5
Original post by asif007
I didn't know that before now - just had a look at their Facebook page and it is pretty awful. I guess I've been lucky that I never experienced any problems with the staff or stock.

For peace of mind, maybe the OP could buy the films from a more reputable source?
I REALLY wouldn't use a facebook page to be any judge of how good a product or service is. You think when someone gets a good product or service they go on facebook pages to yammer about it? No, they get on with enjoying the product. Its only the complainers you hear from on facebook pages so OF COURSE its going to be full of complaints and people... elaborating, or exaggerating the truth. ITs fun to do, I recommend you try it next time Tesco mess up your online order or you feel like a shop assistant has been rude, go get creative on their facebook page. None of the staff will ever read it. Its a one way medium. They put up the page, they put up adverts on it.
But don't kid yourself that anyone is actually going to READ the complaints. Apart from really bored people.
Reply 6
OT: Its the goddamned original Star Wars. £70 isn't too much to pay for them :P
Play.com £45 new, and used versions starting from £25.
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/164454/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Box-Set/Product.html?searchstring=star+wars&searchtype=&searchsource=2&searchfilters=s%7bstar+wars%7d%2bc%7b57%7d%2b&urlrefer=search

Original post by Louise262

Hmm that's really strange, I used to buy tonnes of DVDs and games there with no problems, I guess it depends on which store it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
HMV are/were having a blue cross sale atm, it might be cheaper there!

:P
The complete saga is £60 on Bluray on Amazon. Unfortunately they don't do the same thing in dvd.

Quick Reply

Latest