What is your favourite film genre and why?

Watch
Poll: What is your favourite film genre?
Horror (43)
11.88%
Thriller (39)
10.77%
Comedy (67)
18.51%
Action (39)
10.77%
Animated (17)
4.7%
Rom-com (36)
9.94%
Fantasy (29)
8.01%
Musicals (11)
3.04%
Sci fi (55)
15.19%
Other (26)
7.18%
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For me, my favourite genre is horror, without a doubt. I've always been a huge fan of horror work, both in terms of films and books. I find them the most exciting, thought provoking and thrilling kind of films. Paranormal and possession type horrors are my favourite. There are some great modern horrors out there but to me, nothing beats the classics and the old made for TV horrors from the 70s and 80s that no one has really heard of in modern times

As Stephen King famously said - "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones"

I also love fantasy, thrillers, action, comedy and musical films but nothing comes close to horror for me :teehee:
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
For me, my favourite genre is horror, without a doubt. I've always been a huge fan of horror work, both in terms of films and books. I find them the most exciting, thought provoking and thrilling kind of films. Paranormal and possession type horrors are my favourite. There are some great modern horrors out there but to me, nothing beats the classics and the old made for TV horrors from the 70s and 80s that no one has really heard of in modern times

As Stephen King famously said - "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones"

I also love fantasy, thrillers, action, comedy and musical films but nothing comes close to horror for me :teehee:
Thrillers are quite good.

I like films with good storylines. Examples are like the Game, Scent of a Woman, and Primal Fear
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
(Original post by SGHD26716)
Thrillers are quite good.

I like films with good storylines. Examples are like the Game, Scent of a Woman, and Primal Fear
Primal Fear is a brilliant film :yep: I haven't seen the other two you mentioned but I'll check them out

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Sci-if, but in all honesty everything but Romance, because I don't like romance.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like action the most but not just pure action. Needs other qualities like a decent story (e.g. Logan and dark knight) or quality humour (deadpool and kick ass. Those 4 I named are in my top 5 (other being shawshank) but the only other action films close to it are dark knight rises and Star Trek into darkness, others I find up to enjoyable.

Reason for this probably is because I rate films on enjoyability (**** the oscars) and action films with another quality always do extremely well at that.
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Primal Fear is a brilliant film :yep: I haven't seen the other two you mentioned but I'll check them out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both brilliant films. The Game is like a mystery throughout with all sorts of twists. I won't ruin it further. It's the Michael Douglas film by the way from 1997

Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino won an Oscar for that film. They're quite long films though. Over 2 hours. 😂😂😂
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
(Original post by SGHD26716)
Both brilliant films. The Game is like a mystery throughout with all sorts of twists. I won't ruin it further. It's the Michael Douglas film by the way from 1997

Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino won an Oscar for that film. They're quite long films though. Over 2 hours. 😂😂😂
Ah wait The Game is something to do with a birthday party isn't it? I've seen it, but not for a few years so I'll need to re- watch it but from what I remember it was great

Posted from TSR Mobile
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah wait The Game is something to do with a birthday party isn't it? I've seen it, but not for a few years so I'll need to re- watch it but from what I remember it was great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. The guy's brother gets his brother a gift for his birthday...
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought The Game was just okay

My fav genres are crime/thriller/mystery, dramas, sci-fi and genre/franchise films like superhero/star wars etc. Don't have much time for comedies, romcoms and only select fantasy stuff. Not big on LOTR/Warcraft style swords and monsters/elves type thing
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Fantasy. It's the stuff I grew up on.
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Comedy - I love a good laugh tbh
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was going to vote Sci-fi, but then I noticed that 'animated' was listed as a genre, so it had to be that... more of a medium though, TBH! :p:
Gnatt27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Transformers films are my fave
i love grimes
Badges: 10
Report 3 years ago
did you forget to add just 'romance' on its own?
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I quite like Sci-fi, but I'll honestly watch anything, provided it's good.
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Historical films.... I'm quite a boring person
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Y does other have the same amount of votes as horror

Horror. I don't really need to explain...
filmaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
am i the only one who thinks its super hard to put movies into one genre nowadays theyre a mixture of multiple
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rom-com all the way! I can settle for just comedy, action comedies are also good. I love animatied but rom-com wins
HazMusicPanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How and why am I the only one voting for musicals (so far)? :O
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (13)
20%
Better than expected (16)
24.62%
Worse than expected (36)
55.38%

Watched Threads