The Student Room Group

What is your favourite film genre and why?

Poll

What is your favourite film genre?

For me, my favourite genre is horror, without a doubt. I've always been a huge fan of horror work, both in terms of films and books. I find them the most exciting, thought provoking and thrilling kind of films. Paranormal and possession type horrors are my favourite. There are some great modern horrors out there but to me, nothing beats the classics and the old made for TV horrors from the 70s and 80s that no one has really heard of in modern times :colondollar:

As Stephen King famously said - "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones"

I also love fantasy, thrillers, action, comedy and musical films but nothing comes close to horror for me :teehee:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Spock's Socks
For me, my favourite genre is horror, without a doubt. I've always been a huge fan of horror work, both in terms of films and books. I find them the most exciting, thought provoking and thrilling kind of films. Paranormal and possession type horrors are my favourite. There are some great modern horrors out there but to me, nothing beats the classics and the old made for TV horrors from the 70s and 80s that no one has really heard of in modern times :colondollar:

As Stephen King famously said - "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones"

I also love fantasy, thrillers, action, comedy and musical films but nothing comes close to horror for me :teehee:

Thrillers are quite good.

I like films with good storylines. Examples are like the Game, Scent of a Woman, and Primal Fear
Reply 2
Original post by SGHD26716
Thrillers are quite good.

I like films with good storylines. Examples are like the Game, Scent of a Woman, and Primal Fear

Primal Fear is a brilliant film :yep: I haven't seen the other two you mentioned but I'll check them out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Sci-if, but in all honesty everything but Romance, because I don't like romance.
I like action the most but not just pure action. Needs other qualities like a decent story (e.g. Logan and dark knight) or quality humour (deadpool and kick ass. Those 4 I named are in my top 5 (other being shawshank) but the only other action films close to it are dark knight rises and Star Trek into darkness, others I find up to enjoyable.

Reason for this probably is because I rate films on enjoyability (**** the oscars) and action films with another quality always do extremely well at that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Primal Fear is a brilliant film :yep: I haven't seen the other two you mentioned but I'll check them out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both brilliant films. The Game is like a mystery throughout with all sorts of twists. I won't ruin it further. It's the Michael Douglas film by the way from 1997

Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino won an Oscar for that film. They're quite long films though. Over 2 hours. 😂😂😂
Reply 6
Original post by SGHD26716
Both brilliant films. The Game is like a mystery throughout with all sorts of twists. I won't ruin it further. It's the Michael Douglas film by the way from 1997

Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino won an Oscar for that film. They're quite long films though. Over 2 hours. 😂😂😂

Ah wait The Game is something to do with a birthday party isn't it? I've seen it, but not for a few years so I'll need to re- watch it but from what I remember it was great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ah wait The Game is something to do with a birthday party isn't it? I've seen it, but not for a few years so I'll need to re- watch it but from what I remember it was great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. The guy's brother gets his brother a gift for his birthday...
I thought The Game was just okay

My fav genres are crime/thriller/mystery, dramas, sci-fi and genre/franchise films like superhero/star wars etc. Don't have much time for comedies, romcoms and only select fantasy stuff. Not big on LOTR/Warcraft style swords and monsters/elves type thing
Fantasy. :h: It's the stuff I grew up on.
Comedy - I love a good laugh tbh :tongue:
I was going to vote Sci-fi, but then I noticed that 'animated' was listed as a genre, so it had to be that... more of a medium though, TBH! :p:
Transformers films are my fave
did you forget to add just 'romance' on its own?
I quite like Sci-fi, but I'll honestly watch anything, provided it's good.
Historical films.... I'm quite a boring person :smile:
Y does other have the same amount of votes as horror:frown:

Horror. I don't really need to explain...
am i the only one who thinks its super hard to put movies into one genre nowadays theyre a mixture of multiple
Reply 18
Rom-com all the way! I can settle for just comedy, action comedies are also good. I love animatied but rom-com wins
How and why am I the only one voting for musicals (so far)? :O

Quick Reply

Latest