The Student Room Group

Men have it harder then women

We are expected:

- to be successful, independent and able to provide for a woman (if in a r.ship). Every girl I have been with, eventually expects me to pay for everything.
- With pin up boys like Ronaldo etc, the pressure on men to look good is a bigger deal now then in the past. So that they have a heads up in the dating game. A LOT of women on the other hand, can get sex much more easily then men.
- Acquire status, respect from our peers otherwise are considered weak.
- Not meant o show weakness/emotions to anyone. As a result men bottle things up more easily.

Failing any of the 3 (not so much point 2), the man is normally treated as a loser.

Do you agree that men have it harder then women?

Discuss.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fat_hobbit
We are expected:

- to be successful, independent and able to provide for a woman (if in a r.ship). Every girl I have been with, eventually expects me to pay for everything.
- With pin up boys like Ronaldo etc, the pressure on men to look good is a bigger deal now then in the past. So that they have a heads up in the dating game. A LOT of women on the other hand, can get sex much more easily then men.
- Not meant o show weakness/emotions to anyone. As a result men bottle things up more easily.

Failing any of the 3 (not so much point 2), the man is normally treated as a loser.

Discuss.
You haven't given any points about women though?
Reply 2
Original post by Multitalented me
You haven't given any points about women though?

Yeah, Sorry.

Women:

- Have a pressure to look pretty. But I have known many unattractive women who go in and out of relationships. So probably never have to face the prospect of dying alone. These include morbidly obese women. Who are in double figuers in terms of the amount of men they have been with.
- Feminism means that women are equal in terms of men career wise providing that they are as smart as them.
- Women are allowed to be emotional, when men are, they are considered sensitive and weak..
- Even if the girl does not have a career, and is a bit dimwitted, many can just marry a guy and get him to provide for her. This is especially true for the pretty ones.
(edited 10 years ago)
We are expected:.

Personally I will never expect my partner to pay for more than I do on a regular basis. It's a point of personal pride to have my own career and make a contribution. However, I agree that women have more options - there are ways out if we don't have a career, which are a lot harder for men, who can't so easily be housewives.

I disagree with this one. The pressure on women is just as big, if not bigger.

I agree with this one - it's a problem we don't have.

Again, I agree - women have an easier time in terms of sympathy and emotional support. However, we also find it harder to get taken seriously.

I came on here ready to disagree, but actually, in many ways you do have a point. Not in every way - women have difficulties in areas you haven't addressed (not to mention childbirth etc :tongue:) - but that doesn't invalidate the other side. I once went on a forum as a boy, just to see what it was like, and the drop in sympathy levels and rise in 'man up' comments was very noticeable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral

Personally I will never expect my partner to pay for more than I do on a regular basis. It's a point of personal pride to have my own career and make a contribution. However, I agree that women have more options - there are ways out if we don't have a career, which are a lot harder for men, who can't so easily be housewives.

I disagree with this one. The pressure on women is just as big, if not bigger.

I agree with this one - it's a problem we don't have.

Again, I agree - women have an easier time in terms of sympathy and emotional support.

I came on here ready to disagree, but actually, in many ways you do have a harder time. Not in every way - women have difficulties in areas you haven't addressed (not to mention childbirth etc :tongue:) - but you do have a point. I once went on a forum as a boy, just to see what it was like, and the drop in sympathy levels and rise in 'man up' comments was very noticeable.

I was going to mention childbirth, ex was going bang on about it.

But then I realised:

1) what its like being literally kicked in the balls, which is painful as hell. Women will never have to experience this.

and

2) Women these days can always get a cesarean or choose not to have children at all.

So the pain is self inflicted if they go the natural route.
We are expected:

Discuss.

I think you've been aiming for girls with massively high expectations. I don't expect my boyfriend to provide for me, I don't expect my boyfriend to look like a pin up and I find it very very unhealthy when he bottles up his emotions. I just want him to be happy: I don't care if he has a massively successful career (it's his life not mine). I obviously find my boyfriend very attractive but he's not conventionally attractive, people have different tastes. And I think it's much more weak to be scared of showing emotions than crying or being a bit sad or whatever.

The only point I agree with is the status thing: no one wants a guy who people don't like because it probably means he's a bit of a jerk. In my experience people that loads of people dislike usually did something to make it that way.
Reply 6
There are more expectations on men no doubt but the fact is that when men get older that's when the tables turn.

Most women really go south after about 25, most men haven't even reached their prime by 25. Most women lose most of their value after 30. So if you can slug out the first few years of your 20's, get your life in order and get your priorities straight it should actually be plain sailing from there. So although women may have it easier earlier they have it much harder later on. Men have it harder earlier on but, unless they put in zero effort, they have a much much easier ride later on. So in the long term the men end up winning.
Reply 7

But then I realised:

1) what its like being literally kicked in the balls, which is painful as hell. Women will never have to experience this.

and

2) Women these days can always get a cesarean or choose not to have children at all.

No one can ever experience both. So your argument is completely idiotic.

Having a cesarean isn't the easy option either. You have to spend 6 weeks recovering, it's a serious operation. Plus you have to recover while looking after a newborn baby.

I dare you to go up to a woman in her 30th hour of labour with serious complications like foetal distress or the danger caused by a narrow pelvis and say "well you could've had an abortion, love."
Reply 8
Original post by Ultimate1
There are more expectations on men no doubt but the fact is that when men get older that's when the tables turn.

Most women really go south after about 25, most men haven't even reached their prime by 25. Most women lose most of their value after 30. So if you can slug out the first few years of your 20's, get your life in order and get your priorities straight it should actually be plain sailing from there. So although women may have it easier earlier they have it much harder later on. Men have it harder earlier on but, unless they put in zero effort, they have a much much easier ride later on. So in the long term the men end up winning.

TBH im 27 now, If anything I am finding it harder, in terms of pressure.

After you land your first job, it goes from what you are doing for a living to what you have accomplished in your career.

Then there is the pressure to own your own property, get your first car etc.**** like that
As I said, I think you do have a point, but for the sake of a balanced argument, here are some downsides to being female;

- Difficulty getting taken seriously. If a man gets angry they shout, but if a woman does the same they get laughed at and patronised. I swear this is the reason we have such a bad reputation for holding grudges - it's our only way of taking things out on people.

- Lack of role models and traditions, current and historic. Not a massive one, but it causes an occasional twinge when I want to go for a pint with my Dad and he says it's not ladylike.

- Childbirth and periods.

- Pressure to look pretty. I know you seem to be acquainted with hordes of promiscuous obese women, but I can promise that doesn't feel like the reality for most of us.

- 'Sell-by date'. Men can be attractive and able to create children until far later than women.

Again, this is just for balancing - it doesn't invalidate your points.
I strive for excellence anyway. Having more expected of me just encourages me to try harder.

I'd rather people demand more of me as a man than expect less of me as a woman.
Reply 11
Original post by rosee92
No one can ever experience both. So your argument is completely idiotic.

Having a cesarean isn't the easy option either. You have to spend 6 weeks recovering, it's a serious operation. Plus you have to recover while looking after a newborn baby.

I dare you to go up to a woman in her 30th hour of labour with serious complications like foetal distress or the danger caused by a narrow pelvis and say "well you could've had an abortion, love."

Well you dont have to have children at all. World is over populated anyway.

Or can adopt.

It's totally, optional., whereas for many of the things I have listed for men its a requirement.
Reply 12
TBH im 27 now, If anything I am finding it harder, in terms of pressure.

After you land your first job, it goes from what you are doing for a living to what you have accomplished in your career.

Then there is the pressure to own your own property, get your first car etc.**** like that

What pressure mate?

Do you actively go out and try to meet new people?

Really if you take good care of yourself have a nice place and have make a decent amount of money (not even anything insane, just enough to live comfortably) you really shouldn't be having problems getting girls.

Just remember to not to fall for the first girl that gives you interest, it's something I see a lot of guys your age do. They don't realise their potential and then fall for someone who's declining/ on the decline big time.
(edited 10 years ago)

But then I realised:

and

That is a very one minded view,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151600821429450

Watch this and then say men have it harder.

Your opinion is very biased. I don't believe you'd last 10 minutes being a woman.

But then I realised:

and

I see. Well come back when you've rammed a watermelon up your anus and tell me which hurts more.

In all seriousness, I'm not too worried about childbirth - it's a little bit daunting, but it just kind of comes with life. A caesarian isn't an option to take lightly. Also it's not really optional - most people want a child more than they don't want the pain, but that doesn't invalidate the pain. However, I'll admit it's a once (or twice) off thing, as opposed to a perpetual one. I guess you can't really compare being male and female - both sides are going to see things the other wouldn't even think of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Leonie_Kavanagh
That is a very one minded view,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151600821429450

Watch this and then say men have it harder.

Your opinion is very biased. I don't believe you'd last 10 minutes being a woman.

Again, optional.

You dont have to give birth.
It's all subjective, not objective, m'dear.

Also, don't make assumptions. I don't expect any man to pay for me. I will pay, he will pay. Sharing of finances. No-one should be expected to financially carry somebody else in a relationship.
Reply 17
Well you dont have to have children at all. World is over populated anyway.

Or can adopt.

It's totally, optional., whereas for many of the things I have listed for men its a requirement.

When people decide not to have children it's rarely because of fearing the pain of childbirth. Plus the possible complications that can arise from having children (y'know like, dying) sorta outweigh being kicked in the gonads.

Reminds me of a private health provider I heard of that wouldn't pay out for maternity care because it was "self inflicted", having children is a biological imperative, it's an anthropological inevitability.

If you're having the problems with girls that you mentioned in your OP, you should look for less high maintenance girlfriends. No one I know expects their boyfriend to be rich/gorgeous/stoic all at once. I feel guilty when my boyfriend pays for dinner!
Original post by Jacob :)
I strive for excellence anyway. Having more expected of me just encourages me to try harder.

I'd rather people demand more of me as a man than expect less of me as a woman.

I completely agree - the second line is why women fought for equality in the first place. It's human nature to want more than a comfortable life as a housewife.

I guess the OP is saying that women have the choice, and men don't.
Reply 19
Original post by Ultimate1
What pressure mate?

Do you actively go out and try to meet new people?

Really if you take good care of yourself have a nice place and have make a decent amount of money (not even anything insane, just enough to live comfortably) you really shouldn't be having problems getting girls.

Just remember to not to fall for the first girl that gives you interest, it's something I see a lot of guys your age do. They don't realise their potential and then fall for someone who's declining/ on the decline big time.

tbh this isnt a thread about my sex life.

It is a general discussion about the genders.

But as we are on the topic, many of my male friends are still living at home and get **** for it by women who think they are a bit of a mummys boy. Despite themselves being at home too.

One comes to mine, he is on a very poorly paid job but due to peer pressure moved out, but because of that he will never be able to save money for a 'nice place'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending