The Student Room Group

Are ethnic minorities insecure about their British identity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Mudaari
We're British based on land, not on culture.

Not all of us drink alcohol every night, gamble, go clubbing every other night, smoke cannabis, prostitute ourselves (and others) or support a tyrannical and unjust war etc.

Exactly this, so I wouldn't describe myself "British" just because I reside in Britain. I don't follow the modern day cultural British traditions, as a lot of them are against my beliefs.

To be honest, If someone asked me what would do consider yourself to be I wouldn't know how to answer. Not because I'm insecure or confused but I don't think it bears much relevance.
I feel like there's a lot of misconceptions between the cultures within British society. I met a Muslim family (neighbours) who came over from England and one girl (my age) asked me with all sincerity 'How many men had I slept with? Had I ever taken drug?'. I was pretty stunted, since I was 15 then, and I'm the kind of average, good-grades, self-respecting girl who would never involve herself in that sort of behaviour. I know of a lot of people who do or don't do that, but they're always in the minority. When I said 'No, I don't know anyone who has,' she laughed and said 'I thought all British people were sluts!' :erm: I'd just like to point out that white people get just as sick of that stereotype as ethnic minorities do for being labelled as 'uneducated' or that all Muslims are suicidal terrorists - it just isn't true. :frown: Moreover I wouldn't feel a sense of shame in calling myself 'British', if a person judges me on pre-conceived nationality-stereotypes then I'd love to prove them wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by de_monies
Canada comes under "commonwealth"

Forgot to read that part sorry.
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
I feel like there's a lot of misconceptions between the cultures within British society. I met a Muslim family (neighbours) who came over from England and one girl (my age) asked me with all sincerity 'How many men had I slept with? Had I ever taken drug?'. I was pretty stunted, since I was 15 then, and I'm the kind of average, good-grades, self-respecting girl who would never involve herself in that sort of behaviour. I know a lot of people who do or don't do that, but they're always in the minority. When I said 'No, I don't know anyone who has,' she laughed and said 'I thought all British people were sluts!' :erm: I'd just like to point out that white people get just as sick of that stereotype as ethnic minorities do for being labelled as 'uneducated' or that all Muslims as suicidal terrorists - it just isn't true. :frown: Moreover I wouldn't feel a sense of shame in calling myself 'British', if a person judges me on pre-conceived nationality-stereotypes then I'd love to prove them wrong.

You should have asked her how many other wives her husband had or whether she had been allowed to learn to read and write.
Reply 24
Original post by Zürich
Well at least you can admit that your presence is parasitic and destructive.

Good old British culture, no adab (manners).

Original post by Zürich
and just highlight the complete failure of the Islamic world to achieve anything other than violence, ignorance and poverty.

1. I think you should look into the Islamic Golden age.

2. Congrats, the great civilization does not preach violence or poverty or ignorance. Except when they rape and murder millions abroad and steal their resources.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25

2. Congrats, the great civilization does not preach violence or poverty or ignorance. Except when they rape and murder millions abroad and steal their resources.

And the golden age has long been left behind.
Original post by Zürich
You should have asked her how many other wives her husband had or whether she had been allowed to learn to read and write.

:redface:
Original post by Zürich
If you dislike the culture so much, why do you choose to live here? You would not be missed if you left to the glorious, cultured, enlightened Islamic world...

I second this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deehee
Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

Yes.

I am British Pakistani, but often when I meet people, they see me as Pakistani first then British.

I have to then work hard , to convey that I am actually very British.

Makes me sick to be honest given that blacks, and browns have had a long history due to british imperialism. But the poles and e europeans are likely to be seen as more british, 2 or 3 generations time because they blend in better appearance wise.
Reply 29
Original post by tehforum
And the golden age has long been left behind.

Someone in the year 3000 may look at a "backward Britain" and say the exact same thing Zurich said.

You get the reason why I mentioned it, since it's a baseless argument in the first place.

Honesty is a virtue that's often preferable to manners.

The so called Islamic Golden age didn't last very long did it? More books are published in Spain every year than in the entire Arabic speaking world combined.

Islamic societies would never rape, murder or conquer would they? The Ottoman empire did not systematically kidnap and enslave Christian women for its harems and the Moors were invited into Spain right? Naturally, the Western world has done terrible things too but on balance its been a force for progress like no other.
(edited 10 years ago)
Someone in the year 3000 may look at a "backward Britain" and say the exact same thing Zurich said.

You get the reason why I mentioned it, since it's a baseless argument in the first place.

It's pretty much a given that the golden age no longer exists. At the same time, the UK is no longer this great inventing nation, where every thing comes from. The world has become far, far more globalised than ever before. In my eyes, in the eyes of history, there won't be a "Western golden age" or an "Eastern golden age" But this era would be more "global" which would greatly help with any things we're wrongly thought ie: the fact that the dark ages didn't exactly affect every one

It's funny. Both Britain and Islamic countries have been able to exploit a vast wealth of information due to conquering other people's lands. That is not how the work works today (Well if you're the US, you can exploit people with puppets, but that's another topic)

Also, because of Britain's colonial past, I think that membes of the commonwealth have that stenghtened tie by default and because Britain KNOWS about its colonial past, whereas the US's grip on the world is only just beginning. Consider that the UK Pakistan relationship is far better than the US Pakistan relationship

The difference is, is that our best weapon isn't bombing the **** out of another country, it's about paying for schools, which are both cheaper and more effective
Reply 32
I often refer to myself as British first and foremost, seeing as Britain has offered me most of what I've come to identify with culturally. However, the nucleus of this identity is still something that eludes me i.e. what exactly is "British culture?"
Why would I when I feel British, I was born here and have lived here my whole life... :curious:
Reply 34
Original post by Zürich
Honesty is a virtue that's often preferable to manners.

You can be honest with keeping your manners in tact - you have neither.

Original post by Zürich
The so called Islamic Golden age didn't last very long did it?

Yes, 500-700 years isn't long is it, not longer than 200 years or so of the "age of enlightenment" in the Europe.

Um yeah, try again.

Original post by Zürich
More books are published in Spain every year than in the entire Arabic speaking world combined.

Yes, because Spain has a better economy, more literate people, more writers, more publishers etc. It's quite straight forward really.

I think it's already established that many parts of the Middle east aren't as technologically advanced as the west, but there's many reasons for this, such as poverty, dictatorship and the after effects of colonialism.

Original post by Zürich
Islamic societies would never rape, murder or conquer would they?

If you're comparing the whole of history, then the Islamic world doesn't even come anywhere near as the atrocities of the west. And when it comes to conquest, the difference was that Islamic societies didn't use the people, steal their resources and then dump them.

On many occasions no armies even set foot in some lands, leaving the people to continue as they are as long as they pay a tribute which was distributed or used to help the people that needed it.

Also, unlike the "British Empire", the Islamic State wasn't based on a superior race. You had all kinds of people that came from different races and nationalities that would rule as Sultans and Caliphates.

Original post by Zürich
The Ottoman empire did not systematically kidnap and enslave Christian women for its harems

A rare instance in history, congrats. Certainly wasn't something that the Ottomon's always did, nor was it Islamic.

Original post by Zürich
aand the Moors were invited into Spain right? Naturally,

Actually, as far as Muslims are concerned the Chief of the Christians, Julian was the one who pleaded to Musa ibn Nusair to help them (not that it matters much).

We then invaded, and were able to conquer it with extreme ease (due to the generous terms we were offering, as opposed to their former oppressive rulers - the Visigoths). Over the years, many ethnic spanish people reverted to Islam in big numbers. It was quite a sad tragedy in the end when they were forced to abandon their faith.

Original post by Zürich
the Western world has done terrible things too but on balance its been a force for progress like no other.

Yeah, keep deluding yourself with that one whilst your murdering millions abroad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Personally no, I feel quite secure being British I know most of my family members follow a religion which often conflicts with western culture but that's just my opinion, I don't drink, gamble or go clubbing or anything but I like quite a lot of aspects of British culture & have met some very friendly British people as well :smile:
Reply 36
Though born in Singapore to ethnic Chinese and Indian parents both of whom has some English blood in them and I do have RoA in UK and now I hold Swedish citizenship though to date I've probably spent more days in UK than I had in any other country, what do I consider myself? I'm personally someone that the only thing I really care about is economics and wealth, I choose not to be a British citizen simply because it might affect my non-domicile and non-resident status.
If I tell my British friends I'm Singaporean they'll tell me to not bull**** them.
If I wave my Swedish passport most people think it's a fake passport.
If I tell someone I'm Chinese or Indian they'd say I must be having an identity crisis.
In the neighbourhood I live in Norway, most people assume my MiL is either my mum or adopted mum and my missus is her DiL, she is Norwegian and Swedish so they automatically assume I must have been raised in Norway or Sweden.

Consider myself British? I suppose when it is convenient to do so why not?
When it isn't advantageous to admit being British well then I just don't admit to being one, I just admit to being something else.

In sporting events, I never support any team based upon nationality I support the team whom I think has the best chances of winning..... betting cost money :P

Car choices? Though I liked Italian cars in the past, these days I only buy Swedish or British made vehicles :smile:

With the exception perhaps of the commonwealth nations/Germany/Nordic countries, I honestly don't think that you'll find many places where you're treated with fairness ie: in other countries, your ethnicity or religion would HEAVILY put you down. In the UK, this is not the case at all.

Where do you get the idea that Nordic countries are any more fairer than it is in UK?
Original post by Alfissti
Though born in Singapore to ethnic Chinese and Indian parents both of whom has some English blood in them and I do have RoA in UK and now I hold Swedish citizenship though to date I've probably spent more days in UK than I had in any other country, what do I consider myself? I'm personally someone that the only thing I really care about is economics and wealth, I choose not to be a British citizen simply because it might affect my non-domicile and non-resident status.
If I tell my British friends I'm Singaporean they'll tell me to not bull**** them.
If I wave my Swedish passport most people think it's a fake passport.
If I tell someone I'm Chinese or Indian they'd say I must be having an identity crisis.
In the neighbourhood I live in Norway, most people assume my MiL is either my mum or adopted mum and my missus is her DiL, she is Norwegian and Swedish so they automatically assume I must have been raised in Norway or Sweden.

Consider myself British? I suppose when it is convenient to do so why not?
When it isn't advantageous to admit being British well then I just don't admit to being one, I just admit to being something else.

In sporting events, I never support any team based upon nationality I support the team whom I think has the best chances of winning..... betting cost money :P

Car choices? Though I liked Italian cars in the past, these days I only buy Swedish or British made vehicles :smile:

Where do you get the idea that Nordic countries are any more fairer than it is in UK?

I didn't say they're fairer,but I get the impression (Nothing backed up) that they're pretty tolerant, after the whole Breivik thing, there were lots of reports about community cohesion over there :smile: Though Sweden has it's fair share of extreme right wing MP's
Reply 38
I didn't say they're fairer,but I get the impression (Nothing backed up) that they're pretty tolerant, after the whole Breivik thing, there were lots of reports about community cohesion over there :smile: Though Sweden has it's fair share of extreme right wing MP's

Scandinavian countries have long had plenty of extreme right wing representatives as they are not a FPTP system, in Sweden you gain a seat if your party has 4% of the vote. There are far more far-right representatives in Norway than in Sweden, they aren't racist though just that they want less state and no EU as well as strict limits on immigration which somehow or rather translates to being racist in modern Scandinavia.

Tolerant? To a certain extent they can be but discrimination is a big problem for not just ethnic minorities but also for Whites who aren't originally from here.
Reply 39
With the exception perhaps of the commonwealth nations/Germany/Nordic countries, I honestly don't think that you'll find many places where you're treated with fairness ie: in other countries, your ethnicity or religion would HEAVILY put you down. In the UK, this is not the case at all.

I really appreciate the relative freedom and fairness that I'm allowed in spite of my ethnicity and religion but to say they is no racism at all today in Britain will be denying that they is room for improvement in many areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending