The Student Room Group

Are ethnic minorities insecure about their British identity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Almar
I really appreciate the relative freedom and fairness that I'm allowed in spite of my ethnicity and religion but to say they is no racism at all today in Britain will be denying that they is room for improvement in many areas.

Of course there's racism, but it's imo a lot lower than a lot of other nations. Actually, there was a real map put together, concerning other races:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

It's interesting how both India and Pakistan were both British colonies, and the fact that the culture is pretty similar, but India doesn't seem to be as tolerant :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by deehee
Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

"Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?" Where have you got this information from?..
I'm 'Black British' and when I go to the country where my parents are from it feels like a massive culture shock. I know that I'm British and need no reassurance about it.
Reply 42
Original post by Almar
I really appreciate the relative freedom and fairness that I'm allowed in spite of my ethnicity and religion but to say they is no racism at all today in Britain will be denying that they is room for improvement in many areas.

There has been improvement. Take the country where you are originally (or your parents) from, would be the chances for people of different ethnicity or religion?
Reply 43
Original post by deehee
Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

I personally identify myself with the place I was born in/where my parents have come from (Moldova) despite having a British citizenship
Original post by meenu89
There has been improvement. Take the country where you are originally (or your parents) from, would be the chances for people of different ethnicity or religion?

This! Muslims in India and Christians in Pakistan :frown: So much for both of them being "democracies"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Words
"Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?" Where have you got this information from?..
I'm 'Black British' and when I go to the country where my parents are from it feels like a massive culture shock. I know that I'm British and need no reassurance about it.

I agree with this. When I went to Nigeria back in 2009 with my parents, it was a huge culture shock. Now, I'm not denying that I'm ethinically Nigerian, but my nationality and cultural identitiy is British. That trip made me realise it even more.
Ill tell you what annoys me. In Britain, you might get abuse like using your ethnicity in a derogatory way, and in Pakistan, you can get abuse using your nationality in a derogatory way. It's like "screw you all" :tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by Almar
Am the only one who feels that way? To be honest I can't really explain it. I mean I have always admired British people for, all the advances in science and technology that they have achieved but apart from that the label carries negativity to me. Maybe this might have something to do with the area I live (not far from a council estate), it's full of narrow minded dumb British people who act like sluts and thugs. I generally feel that British society is degenerate in nature at least compared to my country of origin. I know my view is not representative of all British people, but it's hard to shake of this view if you only hang out with your own people and all you experience of Britishness is my neighbourhood and EastEnders

If you don't like it then get out.
Reply 48
Original post by Ajibola
I agree with this. When I went to Nigeria back in 2009 with my parents, it was a huge culture shock. Now, I'm not denying that I'm ethinically Nigerian, but my nationality and cultural identitiy is British. That trip made me realise it even more.

Exactly the same for me!
Reply 49
Original post by meenu89

Honestly- no:dong: but they is very few other ethnic minorities so tolerance has not had a chance to be developed

Original post by Kiss

If someone doesn't like school, can they just leave- every decision has implications but anyway, you misunderstood me, I like Britain and like living here, I just don't identify as British.
Original post by Kiss

She said she can't afford it :redface:

I have never actually considered myself British. Ever. Consider myself more Dutch.
Reply 51
Original post by Zürich
Honesty is a virtue that's often preferable to manners.

The so called Islamic Golden age didn't last very long did it? More books are published in Spain every year than in the entire Arabic speaking world combined.

Islamic societies would never rape, murder or conquer would they? The Ottoman empire did not systematically kidnap and enslave Christian women for its harems and the Moors were invited into Spain right? Naturally, the Western world has done terrible things too but on balance its been a force for progress like no other.

To be honest, the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is probably more evil than all of that combined:frown:
Reply 52
I'm not insecure about my identity, but I don't think everyone sees me (/ethnic minorities) as being British.

I label myself as a 'British Pakistani', though if we were going on culture I'm not sure I would be considered British...but then the question arises - what is British culture??

Anyway, generally, I think minorities are seen as too British for their home countries and too much (e.g) Pakistani for British/English people. Unless an individual is completely assimilated which is when others may insult them by calling them things like coconut.

EDIT: I think the sense of identity can be different depending on what generation of immigrants a person is, too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by omar333
To be honest, the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is probably more evil than all of that combined:frown:

Why is it more evil?
Reply 54
Original post by Al-Mudaari
I'm here for my reparations for British Colonialism :wink: I mean, you can't be expecting German's to pay it, and not yourself, especially for far worse crimes.

Also, culture doesn't define someone being British. The culture that many people conform to in this land today, was something else centuries ago and will be something else centuries later. It's just a present social acceptance that will change (which mind you, not everyone adheres to anyways) - whereas the land you were born and grew up in will always remain the same.

edit: lmao, always bringing religion into it.

Incorrect. Culture is one of factors that determines Britishness. :fyi:
Original post by Almar
I generally feel that British society is degenerate in nature at least compared to my country of origin.

What's your country of origin?
Reply 56
We all are, by land and nationality British. I know a lot of people which would give their left testicle to say that.

We should be proud of our countries achievements and hope our country improves further. But at the same time we should be allowed to criticize the country without being called Anti-British.
Reply 57
Original post by Juichiro
Incorrect. Culture is one of factors that determines Britishness. :fyi:

Not Really. Not all British people spend Friday night getting drunk out of their heads nor eat Fish and Chips 3 times a day.

Reply 58
Original post by Kutta
Not Really. Not all British people spend Friday night getting drunk out of their heads nor eat Fish and Chips 3 times a day.

1. I never implied that.
2. You imply that culture is a practice shared by ALL british people. That's incorrect. :fyi:
3. There is nothing that only all members of a country do. :fyi:
Reply 59
Original post by Juichiro
1. I never implied that.
2. You imply that culture is a practice shared by ALL british people. That's incorrect. :fyi:
3. There is nothing that only all members of a country do. :fyi:

Cool, there is no issue then. Have a nice night :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending