The Student Room Group

Bags taking up seats on trains

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Algorithm69
Not being polite =/= "aggressive". You seem to have plucked that word out of thin air. Telling you to move your bags is not "aggressive" and it isn't "intimidating". You're the one who has admitted you'd be aggressive and intimidating.

I love this:

"I have not refused you a seat, if you are polite you will get one"

As if you have any authority to demand how I acquire a seat I paid for? As if you have started this scenario thinking you own that seat until you feel otherwise? How self-entitled are you exactly? And when your demands aren't met, what do you do? Throw a temper tantrum, hurl abuse, and then run to the police claiming victim-hood.

Oh, that's right, you're a feminist. Mystery solved.

This is hilarious. I'm loving this. Please continue.

This has nothing to do with feminism.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because I don't expect someone to be rude?

No, by putting your bag on the seat and then not paying attention to whether or not the vehicle is filling up. Some people (as evidenced by other replies in this thread) feel uncomfortable asking a person to move their belongings, so end up standing up. By all means, put your bag next to you when their are other available seats but then be polite and aware and make space for other people. They shouldn't have to ask you for permis​sion to sit on a public seat.
(edited 10 years ago)
I travel on trains every day and it drives me up the wall. I tend to glare at them and then ask loudly 'can you move your bag please?' I've got making self-righteous people uncomfortable down to a fine art.
Most people move them fairly quickly in my experience, even those who sit in an outside seat to try and have two seats for themselves.
Reply 64
as one who is not afraid of confrontation, I use trains regularly travelling from Liverpool to Leeds and I have no problem moving other peoples belongings off an available seat when the train is full. I moved a woman’s purse off a seat not long ago and placed it on the table in front of her so I could get a seat, yeah she looked at me funny but she then proceeded to apologize that her items were in the way... Too many people standing is a safety hazard and if you think your belongings are more valuable than a person’s safety then I don't think you should be allowed out your house. Why should someone feel the need to enquire about an available seat? What if there is someone who has a physical disability? What if someone is autistic and hide away from such interaction but require a seat? Its general respect and whoever feels they are 'above' another is one despicable human being!
x.

I'd like to see this person in London, on the underground, on the Central line, at rush hour.

Sorry my dear, but the world does not revolve around you. :biggrin:
I would just ask them to move their bags and glare at them until they do. Though, not such an intense glare as to be awkward. :p:

Personally I do put my bag on the seat when I'm on a train, but as soon as I start to notice it get busier I put it on the floor and put my feet on it - I have small legs so it's not an inconvenience at all. People who don't move their bags are just rude. :mad:
people really should move their bags..you don't know what kind of people might be getting on train. Sometimes its hard for people to stand on the bus or train for a long time.

The most annoying thing is people with suitcases on the tube... who insist on putting them in the aisle infront of them.. PLEASE PUT THEM NEAR THE DOOR.. NO ONE CAN WALK DOWN THE AISLE. thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JCharrison
as one who is not afraid of confrontation, I use trains regularly travelling from Liverpool to Leeds and I have no problem moving other peoples belongings off an available seat when the train is full. I moved a woman’s purse off a seat not long ago and placed it on the table in front of her so I could get a seat, yeah she looked at me funny but she then proceeded to apologize that her items were in the way... Too many people standing is a safety hazard and if you think your belongings are more valuable than a person’s safety then I don't think you should be allowed out your house. Why should someone feel the need to enquire about an available seat? What if there is someone who has a physical disability? What if someone is autistic and hide away from such interaction but require a seat? Its general respect and whoever feels they are 'above' another is one despicable human being!

yes. this.
Original post by TheNorthStar
No, by putting your bag on the seat and then not paying attention to whether or not the vehicle is filling up. Some people (as evidenced by other replies in this thread) feel uncomfortable asking a person to move their belongings, so end up standing up. By all means, put your bag next to you when their are other available seats but then be polite and aware and make space for other people. They shouldn't have to ask you for permis​sion to sit on a public seat.

Yeah!!

I hate how unaware people are sometimes..

wakeup?! You might as well be at home if you're not going to have any respect or look at the world around you?
Reply 70
And if you touched my stuff I would go to the police.

rofl. I don't think you have any idea how stupid you sound right now.
so middle class
Reply 71
Not really. If someone wants to sit by me, they can ask.

Yes, it is. It's rude, intimidating and not fair

I'm not going to look around and count the seats.

I'd complain that I was intimidated, harassed and had my property manhandled by a rude intimidating individual.

You sound like a bitch, wouldn't you offer your seat to a pregnant or elderly person who might feel too intimidated themselves to ask or do your precious bags warrant seats themselves? I'd have no qualms throwing it down the aisle if that happened, I'd find it amusing to see your reaction :smile:
Reply 72
I put my bag on the seat next to me al the time, but as soon as it gets busy I put it in my lap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-pixie-x
You sound like a bitch, wouldn't you offer your seat to a pregnant or elderly person who might feel too intimidated themselves to ask or do your precious bags warrant seats themselves? I'd have no qualms throwing it down the aisle if that happened, I'd find it amusing to see your reaction :smile:

And yet, you certainly had qualms about telling me, as you didn't quote my name. :rolleyes:
Reply 74
Can you all just stop arguing with tyrion? You're obviously being trolled ( unless she really is that much of a childish bitch). Continuing this little thing is a waste of time.
Reply 75
Yes, really grates on me. I recently told a lady to move her bag so I can sit down, she frowned as she moved it. I didn't really care about her to be honest, all I wanted to do was sit down and I did. I guess it hurts a little more as I'm quite considerate on public transport so i feel i don't deserve it. What I hate too are 'youths' using a seat for their legs, this probably annoys me more than the bags...
I don't generally have an issue with it as I'll just ask them to move their bag. A simple, "Hi, do you mind if I sit here?" is all you need. Unless they turn around and say, "Yes, I would mind, go away."

I found it more annoying on the train on Sunday (the 4 hour train from Birmingham to Edinburgh) when I was sat at a 4-seater thing around a table and a girl got on and put her massive bag under the seat, giving me hardly any leg room and squashing my feet. I asked her if she wanted help moving it to the luggage rack, to which she responded, "Oh, no, it's fine thanks."
):<
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by arkhamz
Can you all just stop arguing with tyrion? You're obviously being trolled ( unless she really is that much of a childish bitch). Continuing this little thing is a waste of time.

Lol, she has been destroyed in this thread, she doesn't normally troll from what I've seen so dunno what was wrong with her here.:dontknow:
Reply 78
And yet, you certainly had qualms about telling me, as you didn't quote my name. :rolleyes:

Yep, shame I only noticed once I'd posted. Clearly you couldn't come up with a constructive answer though, you're obviously the type of person who values material possessions quite highly. I wonder what that's making up for. My pricey bags happily sit on my lap or on the floor - they're just bags after all. :rolleyes:
Reply 79
I used to just leave it but from commuting a four hour round trip to uni, I've grown balls and now just ask people to move their stuff. Some people don't look happy but it really infuriates me when there is an empty seat. If they want to put bags there, fine, just buy an extra ticket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending