The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katala21
First of all, this is my opinion, so please don't get angry about it :smile:

I personally think hunting is immoral and wrong because if you took the concept of hunting, and replaced animals with people, you'd be put in jail pretty quickly! I think of animals as equal to people, and sometimes I value them even more; So many species of wildlife have become extinct because of hunting, and I respect that before, people hunted animals for food, because we didn't discover farming until we were quite advanced as a species, but when people hunt for pleasure, I think it's awful. None of these poor animals have ever done anything wrong to us, and then we go and shoot them, and most of the time, the bullets miss and leave the animal in horrific pain. Just imagine if that ever happened to you, you are walking along minding your own business, maybe to find food for your family and then BANG! you're left in the open, with a stinging gun wound bleeding out, uncertain if you're going to live or die, if you'll ever see your family again. It sounds like something from a nightmare, doesn't it. I'm not a vegetarian but I also believe (On an unrelated topic) that faming animals for meat, or testing medicine and cosmetics on them against their will is even worse, even on a small scale. I know we have evolved the way we have to chase prey and chew meat, but we have also evolved empathy, one of the most basic and crucial skills that is found in every animal, including us, and if you think that killing another living creature, snuffing out their light of life simply because you can, shows you have no empathy at all, and THAT is what separates us, monsters that kill because we can and have savaged the land we call home, from animals, gentle creatures that only ever kill to keep their families alive and to survive. To survive us.

Why aren't you vegetarian/vegan if you believe that then?
snuffing out their light of life simply because you can, shows you have no empathy at all

Yet you eat meat? Humans can survive without it, and I would have thought we eat more than enough meat needed to be healthy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 282
it's not fun if they're not shooting back
Reply 283
Original post by nimrodstower
Oh aren't I silly, of course I should have realised, you use a Butterfly net.

No I don't, I use a Compound Bow and when hunting in England/Scotland a Ruger 77 Bolt Action

What religion has hunting as an obligation?

Not a specific obligation, but it is traditional and has always been traditional in Asatru and traditional Norse Paganism/Heathenry to sacrifice an animal and offer the meat.
Reply 284
Original post by smd4std
it's not fun if they're not shooting back

We need to genetically alter Deer and give them all Colts.
Reply 285
First of all, this is my opinion, so please don't get angry about it :smile:

Not a worry, I enjoy the dicussion, and sorry for the late reply!

I personally think hunting is immoral and wrong because if you took the concept of hunting, and replaced animals with people, you'd be put in jail pretty quickly! I think of animals as equal to people, and sometimes I value them even more;

This point here is what will stop us having a valuable discussion on the subject, because I do not view other animal species as being the same as humans.

So many species of wildlife have become extinct because of hunting,

This saddens me also.

and I respect that before, people hunted animals for food, because we didn't discover farming until we were quite advanced as a species,

Actually we started farming about 12000-14000 years ago, and we still had to hunt to supliment our diet.
It wasn't until really the last forty years when world trade got to a suffiicently advanced point that it has become possible to completely healthily remove meat from our diet.

but when people hunt for pleasure, I think it's awful. None of these poor animals have ever done anything wrong to us, and then we go and shoot them, and most of the time, the bullets miss and leave the animal in horrific pain.

I know im reducing the argument and that you do bring up a point later in this paragraph about us being different.
But no animal ever does anything to a predator, the predator just hunts either for food or for enjoyment.
Most Bullets however do not miss, and if they do it's only a few minutes of pain before any decent hunter will coup-de-gras.

Just imagine if that ever happened to you, you are walking along minding your own business, maybe to find food for your family and then BANG! you're left in the open, with a stinging gun wound bleeding out, uncertain if you're going to live or die, if you'll ever see your family again.

As a human with a grater mental faculty and emotional concerns than other animals, this does indeed sound worrying, however if I were out in a hostile area and knew that I had predators or enemies, this would be something I would be wary off.

Very few animals have evolved out of there natural instincts of knowing they are prey for other animals.

It sounds like something from a nightmare, doesn't it. I'm not a vegetarian but I also believe (On an unrelated topic) that faming animals for meat, or testing medicine and cosmetics on them against their will is even worse, even on a small scale. I know we have evolved the way we have to chase prey and chew meat, but we have also evolved empathy, one of the most basic and crucial skills that is found in every animal, including us, and if you think that killing another living creature, snuffing out their light of life simply because you can, shows you have no empathy at all, and THAT is what separates us, monsters that kill because we can and have savaged the land we call home, from animals, gentle creatures that only ever kill to keep their families alive and to survive. To survive us.

Then by your own admission you have no empathy.
You eat meat, you partake in the and I quote an "even worse" type of pain and torture.
You aknowladge that suffering, and without even a second thought partake in the fruits of it.

Untill you become a full vegeratarian(possibly Vegan) I don't think you have the moral grounds to judge hunting either as a sport or as a means of survival.
Original post by Syrokal
Ah we come to an impass in the debate.

You believe Animals have an unchallengable right to life.

I do not.

That's fine though, world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

People are cruel to animals but when an animal attacks a human, it's a huge disaster, especially when animal defends itself by attacking human, still it's the one to blame for everything!
Reply 287
Original post by ForgetMe
People are cruel to animals but when an animal attacks a human, it's a huge disaster, especially when animal defends itself by attacking human, still it's the one to blame for everything!

Is it?

Oh, I never realized...I usually just think "Your own stupid fault for getting to close to an animal...things can be dangerous"

Humans are to complacent , I agree.
Original post by Syrokal
Is it?

Oh, I never realized...I usually just think "Your own stupid fault for getting to close to an animal...things can be dangerous"

Unfortunately the media rarely shares this view.

Look at what happens everytime someone is killed by a Shark in australia, a big bounty is put on the shark which results in the deaths of about twenty of them most of which, if not all, weren't the culprit.

If you're intrested look up Jim Corbett. He was a hunter about 70 years ago, who became a conservationist but still would hunt down genuinely dangerous big cats such as Champawat tiger, that killed about 400 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett_%28hunter%29
Reply 289
Original post by Gwilym101
Unfortunately the media rarely shares this view.

Look at what happens everytime someone is killed by a Shark in australia, a big bounty is put on the shark which results in the deaths of about twenty of them most of which, if not all, weren't the culprit.

If you're intrested look up Jim Corbett. He was a hunter about 70 years ago, who became a conservationist but still would hunt down genuinely dangerous big cats such as Champawat tiger, that killed about 400 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett_%28hunter%29

Sadly...the media is ****e.

But that does sound interesting, I shall browse!
Original post by ForgetMe

Original post by Syrokal
Is it?

The media generally likes to change the story and regularly uses words like 'maul', 'destroy' and 'butchered' to describe something as little (even if it is a nasty experience) as a dog bite. I was bitten by a dog when I was five but despite being that age I could admit I was bothering it so just got a shot and nothing happened to the dog and looking back, I am happy that the dog got to live. Also, they make it one sided they often describe it as the animals fault but if it had an owner, the owner is hardly mentioned, just the breed of animal etc etc. And with the recent fox dragging away baby incident, it is highly likely that the family had fed the fox or encouraged it earlier and also a baby that young and vulnerable should not have been left alone especially since the family lived in an area with a high concentration of foxes.
Reply 291
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
The media generally likes to change the story and regularly uses words like 'maul', 'destroy' and 'butchered' to describe something as little (even if it is a nasty experience) as a dog bite. I was bitten by a dog when I was five but despite being that age I could admit I was bothering it so just got a shot and nothing happened to the dog and looking back, I am happy that the dog got to live. Also, they make it one sided they often describe it as the animals fault but if it had an owner, the owner is hardly mentioned, just the breed of animal etc etc. And with the recent fox dragging away baby incident, it is highly likely that the family had fed the fox or encouraged it earlier and also a baby that young and vulnerable should not have been left alone especially since the family lived in an area with a high concentration of foxes.

Stupid humans ,aye?
Original post by Syrokal
Stupid humans ,aye?
If you are serious, then aye in many cases. If you are being sarcastic however...
Reply 293
I seriously think they should have a thing called Chav hunting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annnnnd Shamelessly raised(I'm the OP)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 295
What beautiful animals. And you kill them for fun, they had a right for a life, they've fought to survive over hundreds upon hundreds of years, fighting against nature and it's challenges, and then you people come in and hide behind your advanced weaponry and destroy them.

Just for fun. When a species kills for entertainment, we should be worried. That's what differentiates us from animals, our conscious awareness that our actions are destroying a life, yet we still do it anyway, for fun.

If you had any appreciation for nature, for our wildlife then you'll put down the gun. I honestly don't understand how you can sit right next to those animals and maintain that expression on your face.
(edited 10 years ago)
(Just to let you know I'm the OP)

Original post by pandabird
What beautiful animals. And you kill them for fun, they had a right for a life, they've fought to survive over hundreds upon hundreds of years, fighting against nature and it's challenges, and then you people come in and hide behind your advanced weaponry and destroy them.

That's nature, you survive and you struggle until something more advanced, better adapted or luckier comes and kills you.

You have a problem with the natural order of things?

Just for fun. When a species kills for entertainment, we should be worried. That's what differentiates us from animals, our conscious awareness that our actions are destroying a life, yet we still do it anyway, for fun.

Loads of species kill for fun, it's hardly limited to humans.

Why should the life of an animal be held in equal regard as the life of a human?

If you had any appreciation for nature, for our wildlife then you'll put down the gun.

It's a Bow, not a gun.
And I have nothing but appreciation for nature.

I honestly don't understand how you can sit right next to those animals and maintain that expression on your face.

Because to hunt them was an honor and a challenge, it was mentally and physically exhilarating and good fun on top!
Original post by pandabird

If you had any appreciation for nature, for our wildlife then you'll put down the gun. I honestly don't understand how you can sit right next to those animals and maintain that expression on your face.

Most humans don't need to eat meat, fish and other animal products to live so isn't that the same? So unless you're a vegan then you will be accused of hypocrisy.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Why should the life of an animal be held in equal regard as the life of a human?

Humans taking an anthropocentric view? Goodness me. What justified humans treating animals they way they do to you then?

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Because to hunt them was an honor and a challenge, it was mentally and physically exhilarating and good fun on top!

Join the military and hunt man. Then you're a hunter. Most of the time people are just shooting Bambi.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Humans taking an anthropocentric view? Goodness me. What justified humans treating animals they way they do to you then?

Power

Join the military and hunt man. Then you're a hunter. Most of the time people are just shooting Bambi.

Ex-Military.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending