The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'Fat' Comments Should Be Illegal

.................or so Jennifer Lawrence would have us believe:

Jennifer Lawrence: weight comments 'should be illegal'

Actress Jennifer Lawrence has said she thinks "it should be illegal to call someone fat on TV", after red carpet criticism of her own figure.

Speaking to US host Barbara Walters, The Hunger Games star added: "Because why is humiliating people funny?"

The 23 year-old actress, who plays Katniss Everdeen in the teen franchise, said she was worried about how the media's attitude affected young people.

Lawrence features in Walters' series The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2013.

"I get it, and I do it too, we all do it," the actress told Walters.

"[But] the media needs to take responsibility for the effect that it has on our younger generation, on these girls who are watching these television shows, and picking up how to talk and how to be cool," Lawrence said.

"So all of the sudden being funny is making fun of the girl that's wearing an ugly dress. And the word fat! I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV."

Lawrence added: "I mean, if we're regulating cigarettes and sex and cuss words, because of the effect they have on our younger generation, why aren't we regulating things like calling people fat?"

The film actress, who won an Oscar earlier this year for her performance in Silver Linings Playbook, has previously spoken out against gossip magazines and TV shows such as E!'s Fashion Police, presented by Joan Rivers, which criticise the way women look.

Last month the American Hustle star told BBC Radio 1 that hearing negative things about her appearance "was like being in high school".

Her own figure became the subject of much debate, after being branded "fuller" by industry standards.

She told the December 2012 issue of Elle magazine that "in Hollywood, I'm obese. I'm considered a fat actress".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25427990

First time I read this I actually thought it was a joke because of how ridiculous it is, but then I realised our government might actually be stupid and PC enough to enforce something like 'weightism' or 'fatism'.

I mean come on, if the word 'fat' is made into a new offensive hate word then how is anyone going to be able to describe things anymore? People like Lawrence don't understand the long term consequences of their propositions because they're selfish and just want short-term relief for some troubles they receive now and then.

This almost makes me wish Globogym was a real thing:

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be much more useful to make sure the media doesn't portray a hyperinflated unrealistic representation of body images. I mean, if by their standards Jennifer Lawrence is fat, what hope is there for the rest of us?
(edited 10 years ago)
Comments like this should not be made illegal, but the media does have a problem when it's calling Jennifer Lawrence fat.
She wants to make stating a fact illegal? Not that Jennifer Laurence is fat, but some people are.
Reply 4
Jennifer Lawrence is referencing to the fact that the media tries to avoid mentioning cigarretes, swear words and sex, as to not encourage children to engange in such behaviour, then they should also avoid showing children that it is "fun" and "ok" to bully other people or negatively label them, such as calling them fat.
Reply 5
I think fatties should be fed to Africa.
While I agree that banning it outright is probably not a solution, the fact is that when young people see things like this they become concerned about their weight. If Jennifer Lawrence (who is most definitely not fat) is a subject of media teasing about her weight, then what hope does a chubby 12 year old (or similar) have. By saying "we should be allowed to say whatever we want", we expose these easily influenced people to criticism of something which is often not a problem - but to them it is. I've seen eating disorders and they aren't pretty. The media definitely has an influence.
Fat should be illegal as a term to describe someone - it's a hateful word that causes a lot of damage to boys and girls alike.

And as said above, if Jennifer Lawrence is considered fat, what hope do young girls have?
Reply 8
The media does not call Jennifer Lawrence fat the media loves her and she can't do any wrong in their eyes. She's kicking up a fuss over nothing.

Why should we show tolerance for fat people? It's a massive, expensive epidemic that's costing us millions a year. No we should not show toleration for it.

And the cigarette analogy is so stupid. The reason smoking is regulated in film is because we don't want to increase cigarette use and addiction. We don't want to show tolerance for it. Banning fat comments does the absolute reverse to something as equally as damaging as cigarettes, it shows tolerance for obesity.

I don't understand, I find it so incomprehensible that we show such a judgemental intolerance and disdain for people with drug and alcohol addiction, when we're told to show complete acceptance for fat people. Look at how Nigella is being treated by society for her cocaine addiction. Yet people like Adele are adored for their addiction to food.

When will the government crack down on obesity? Not even obesity, they should crack down on being overweight, crack down on the overconsumption of food in general.
It is not normal for humans to be overweight, it is costly and signifies everything wrong with the western world- greed and lack of control.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by That Bearded Man
Fat should be illegal as a term to describe someone - it's a hateful word that causes a lot of damage to boys and girls alike.

And as said above, if Jennifer Lawrence is considered fat, what hope do young girls have?

Of course. I'd like to see how many doctors prescribe diet pills and exercise routines for clients who are morbidly 'big-boned', lest the F word hurt their poor feelings.
Reply 10
Don't think it should be made illegal - but some people use it just for the purpose of putting others down, saying it in a spiteful way. To be honest, if someone is fat others can see it - no need to constantly remind them that they are. So yeah, I can see why it's not just a descriptive adjective but offensive term.
Original post by Kiss
Of course. I'd like to see how many doctors prescribe diet pills and exercise routines for clients who are morbidly 'big-boned', lest the F word hurt their poor feelings.

Doctors should be allowed to say it. The difference between the media and doctors is that they deal on a case by case basis. Put a 50 year old obese man in front of the doctor, and it would be reasonable to say "You need to lose weight, you're morbidly obese." Put a twelve year old girl in front of the doctor, and you wouldn't say that, let alone "You're fat" or "Go on a diet" or whatever. You're not just dealing with hurt feelings here, you are dealing with psychology which is a dangerous game.
Reply 12
The media loves pointing out features in people that make them less-than-'perfect'. be it their weight (both over and underweight), clothing, the food they eat and any other aspect of someone's life, even more so when they're famous.

Maybe not illegal to call someone fat, but the media really shouldn't concern themselves with trivial matters, but then again that's the only way they think they can make money.

'Fat' is a descriptive word, it's ambiguous as to what level makes someone 'fat', but due to the ambiguity and the misuse of the word that's where the problem is.

[[Fat is also a noun, but in the context here it's a verb]]
Reply 13
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Doctors should be allowed to say it. The difference between the media and doctors is that they deal on a case by case basis. Put a 50 year old obese man in front of the doctor, and it would be reasonable to say "You need to lose weight, you're morbidly obese." Put a twelve year old girl in front of the doctor, and you wouldn't say that, let alone "You're fat" or "Go on a diet" or whatever. You're not just dealing with hurt feelings here, you are dealing with psychology which is a dangerous game.

You could be 5 years old or 55 years old - being fat shouldn't exclude them from hearing the truth.
Reply 14
The solution is to stop being fat.
Original post by Kiss
You could be 5 years old or 55 years old - being fat shouldn't exclude them from hearing the truth.

So you'd tell a 5 year old that they were fat, with no regard for their mental or physical health?
What might be more productive is if Jennifer Lawrence (and her A-List friends) boycotted any newspaper or magazines that promoted unrealistic body images to its readership. By refusing, en masse, to give interviews or feature on the cover, editors might be forced to think twice about the language they threw around.
Original post by Kiss

Pffff.....you can still neatly dance around the f word by saying "you're weight is above healthy limit" or "you need to lose weight"

It's not hard, but it's a little bit more sensitive towards people who would consider being called fat very demoralising.
A lot of *******s on this thread it seems
Reply 19
A lot of *******s on this thread it seems
<br />
<br />

And why's that? If you're overweight it's not healthy. Don't know why you're trying to promote an unhealthy lifestyle. Fatties gotta learn.

Pffff.....you can still neatly dance around the f word by saying &quot;you're weight is above healthy limit&quot; or &quot;you need to lose weight&quot; <br />
<br />
It's not hard, but it's a little bit more sensitive towards people who would consider being called fat very demoralising.
<br />
<br />

I'm not going out of my way to tread on eggshells for other people. If they can't handle the criticism then they shouldn't be piling on the pounds.

Latest

Trending

Trending