The Student Room Group

Does society look down on vegetarians? Do you?

Most people, when they find out I'm a vegetarian act as if I told them I have two head. It goes something along the lines of 'What? You mean like, no bacon? But you eat fish right? No???! Why????' And then I get all these questions like, how long have you been one, will you never eat meat again, why did you become one, are your families all vegetarians....

Why is it such a big deal? Just because I chose to eat meat? I have read things before with people saying they would not date a vegetarian, and then there are the derogatory jokes and people assuming we are tree huggers :rolleyes:

And another thing is people find it hard to understand why vegetarians eat quorn, they say 'why eat quorn which looks like meat when you can eat meat?':confused: The whole point is that it is a substitute for meat.

So what's your view? Are vegetarians 'weird' to you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i get the piss taken out of me for being vegetarian! not in a mean way but friends and family make jokes which is really confusing because all i'm doing is not eating animals?? i dunno. But i've had all the same questions you've mentioned! I think it's considered a fad by a lot of people which is a shame but we've all been raised in a culture that accepts eating meat as the norm! anything that goes against the majority is normally considered kinda shocking i guess
Reply 2
I've literally never come across any derogatory comments ever. Yeah, people ask how I can live without bacon or if my family are vegetarians, but they've never been rude about it. I think you're just looking to get offended.
Original post by *Dreaming*
Most people, when they find out I'm a vegetarian act as if I told them I have two head. It goes something along the lines of 'What? You mean like, no bacon? But you eat fish right? No???! Why????' And then I get all these questions like, how long have you been one, will you never eat meat again, why did you become one, are your families all vegetarians....

Why is it such a big deal? Just because I chose to eat meat? I have read things before with people saying they would not date a vegetarian, and then there are the derogatory jokes and people assuming we are tree huggers :rolleyes:

And another thing is people find it hard to understand why vegetarians eat quorn, they say 'why eat quorn which looks like meat when you can eat meat?':confused: The whole point is that it is a substitute for meat.

So what's your view? Are vegetarians 'weird' to you?

No; I am a veggie myself. The reason why they respond as such, I would presume is because they really enjoy their meat.

The same can be applied with a non-meat item, like a brand of chocolate.

Do you get me?
I don't find vegetarians weird at all :smile:
Reply 5
I think it depends why they do it. If they do it because they don't like the taste of meat then i'm sorry but they're just weird :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by yepyepyep
I've literally never come across any derogatory comments ever. Yeah, people ask how I can live without bacon or if my family are vegetarians, but they've never been rude about it. I think you're just looking to get offended.

Not comments aimed at me but seen them posted on facebook.

Examples:

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Unless he's a vegetarian.

Then you can get there through his fanny.

and

Seen on a menu in Scotland

vegetarian Option - F off

and

I think I'd most hate to be a vegetarian at Christmas time.

I mean, imagine how **** Christmas must be if you have no friends.
Reply 7
Lol I get lots of weird reactions when I tell people i'm vegetarian and have been my whole life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I don't think most people care tbh? Restaurants these days have yummy vegetarian food, I often find myself ordering vegetarian dishes when there are no halal eateries about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by *Dreaming*
Not comments aimed at me but seen them posted on facebook.

Examples:

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Unless he's a vegetarian.

Then you can get there through his fanny.

and

Seen on a menu in Scotland

vegetarian Option - F off

and

I think I'd most hate to be a vegetarian at Christmas time.

I mean, imagine how **** Christmas must be if you have no friends.

Those are all jokes though, they aren't to be taken seriously. No-one is actually out inciting hatred against vegetarians. You don't get meat-eater-only restaurants.
Reply 10
Lol most vegetarian optics are so **** in most places. They chuck some stuff together with no animal and give it to you whilst spending so much more time, effort and money on the animal dishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I know what is society's big beef with vegetarians? :tongue:

In all seriousness I’ve never really been looked down upon for being vegetarian. I turned vegetarian last summer so I’ve had a few questions asked but that’s out of people’s general curiosity. :dontknow: Then again I’m not the kind of person who is interested in forcing vegetarianism down people's throats, I just request that my views be respected and that a suitable meal alternative be provided when I'm invited somewhere. I understand that most of the negative reputation comes from the vegetarians that like to preach to meat-eaters and have a superiority complex. I feel like those qualities are annoying with any point of view and it might not be the vegetarianism itself that is off putting.

This kind of attitude is sometimes present in the media though, look at the channel Food Network, whenever there's a grill special or something, the deep voiced invisible man goes "Look out Vegetarians" or "Vegetarians beware!", "If you're a vegetarian, you may want to change the channel right now" as if all vegetarians suddenly start to hurl and pray when pushing a shopping cart along the meat isle. :rolleyes:

Most people's thoughts are along the lines of "meat is delicious" "I can't live without bacon" and "I don't have the willpower to stop what I've always done," which all boil down to the simple truth that people don't like change. I think that people are even less likely to make changes if they're unsure that their individual effort will even matter, and because we live in such a pro-meat society people are more than willing to jump up and defend it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't find vegetarians weird at all :smile:

:sexface:
Reply 13
I don't look down on them, as long as they understand and accept that meat eating is better
I think its a bit pathetic when people try and claim themselves superior to vegetarians in some way.

I eat meat but don't have any issues with veggies. You go out to eat with them, you get what you want, they get what they want. No dramas.

But sometimes you will come across someone in your group that has to make such a big deal about why this person is a veggie, and start coming out with "but you wear leather shoes", "salads have feelings too" and all this, its about the most boring conversation you can have.

I suppose its like some people get all superior if someone in the group doesn't drink or doesn't want to drink much, most people accept it but you do get some that want to go on about it.

Generally its one of those things that's the hallmark of being a knob.
Yes, every time I hear about/meet a vegetarian I will eek in pain and make it my sole goal to take them down and to make them feel like they are not worthy of the corn meat they eat.
Reply 16
I have this really cool superiority complex from being a vegetarian my entire life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I look at them levelly, but with a faint air of smugness.
People make jokes and stuff, but I've never had anyone look down on me for not eating meat.
Reply 19
No, I tried it for over a month. In the end I decided to stop because I wasn't eating enough protein and there are only so many nuts, beans and cheese you can eat :tongue: (I'm not looking for anyone telling me you can still be veg and eat healthily, I know, but this was a personal decision I made in the end. At first it was really difficult because I did it for animal right reasons).

Spoiler

When I was a vegetarian people asked what I wanted to eat, before knowing I turned vegetarian, and they picked up on I wasn't eating meat. They didn't care, some were interested in knowing why and offered recipes etc.

In general people shouldn't care because it's not their business what people eat. They just have misconceived ideas that it's for "hippies" :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending