The Student Room Group

Should Germany apologise for World War II

I don't personally think so because it all started because Germany was using its military power to being together the German population areas in the surrounding countries into Germany.

If Germany had to apologise then Britain would have to apologise for occupying areas which were neither neighbouring not containing its own people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The 50's called, they want their issues back.
Reply 2
'No'.

Children should not be held responsible for the sins of the father. As bad as WW2 was, what is done is done. The war has ended and today Germany and the UK are allies and dare i say friends (as countries go).

As much as i feel historical documentation is important i feel there is no more reason to celebrate WW1 or WW2 than there is the Battle of Waterloo or the defeat of the Spanish Armada. I would rather the issue was consigned to history and people moved forwards.
Germany is probably the most apologetic nation in the entire world. The amount of guilt the Germans have is incredible. Other countries like America, Japan and Britain also committed terrible atrocities in their history and none of them have apologised.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Germany is probably the most apologetic nation in the entire world. The amount of guilt the Germans have is incredible. Other countries like America, Japan and Britain also committed terrible atrocities in their history and none of them have apologised.

I've never been to Germany so i don't know how they feel personally but the media perception is certainly that they feel a sense of guilt and shame. In addition while they do partake as a non-permanent member of the UNSC in many conflicts they seem almost afraid to take a strong view or threaten force. It's not like Swizz neutrality but it's almost like they hold themselves back.
Reply 5
The people that did this are dead. Sons are NOT responsible for what their fathers did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, considering that the amount of the surviving German population, who contributed towards the war, is such a ridiculously low figure, I'd say no. What's the ****ing point? It's not going to change history is it?

I can't stand all this 'reparations' bull****, for something your mostly dead ancestors (i.e., another person) did. It's quite frankly insulting, and suggestive that most Germans today would support such ideals as held by the Nazis.
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
The people that did this are dead. Sons are responsible for what their fathers did.

Why?
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
Why?

I meant "sons are NOT responsible". :tongue:
Original post by Juichiro
The people that did this are dead. Sons are responsible for what their fathers did.

Are you personally going to apologise for the bombing of Dresden, the Slave trade, the dislocation of native American tribes, the British attitude which lead to the the empire, the ravaging of northern France, the crusades, etc, etc...
Reply 10
I haven't seen a UK apology for the cod-war yet either.
Reply 11
Original post by mojojojo101
Are you personally going to apologise for the bombing of Dresden, the Slave trade, the dislocation of native American tribes, the British attitude which lead to the the empire, the ravaging of northern France, the crusades, etc, etc...

I forgot to add the NO. :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
I've never been to Germany so i don't know how they feel personally but the media perception is certainly that they feel a sense of guilt and shame.

There's a lot of guilt, but as somebody else said, it's our parents and grandparents (in my case) who did this, and we as a nation learned from it, which is:

Original post by Rakas21
In addition while they do partake as a non-permanent member of the UNSC in many conflicts they seem almost afraid to take a strong view or threaten force. It's not like Swizz neutrality but it's almost like they hold themselves back.

Which is why we don't want to be drawn into another world war that easily, it takes a lot for our forces to get active, Afghanistan I think was the first time we actively took part in a military operation since WW2 - and unlike the UK, we knew from the beginning that the US was talking bull**** about Iraq's involvement in 9/11 and the WMD stuff.

And we would love to have a permanent seat in the UNSC - or have the whole system reformed, but that's not going to happen soon.
Reply 13
Original post by Tinder
I don't personally think so because it all started because Germany was using its military power to being together the German population areas in the surrounding countries into Germany.

yeah, especially they had to "help" the german population within Poland...
in one word- bull****e
Of course not, the current germans are not responsible for the actions of their forbears.
Reply 15
Absolutely not. Nobody is guilty for the crimes of their ancestors. Guilt for an action is a direct consequence of responsibility for that action. And modern Germans are pretty much universally not responsible for WWII
Reply 16
All states/ cultures/ peoples have committed their share of atrocities. The ones that haven't have been those too weak to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending