The Student Room Group

A2 temperature, heat and internal energy (edexcel)

In a experiment measuring the specific heat capacity of aluminium, we insert a immersion heater into the aluminium block.
one of the error in the experiment is that, there is air gap between the metal block and the heater, to improve this situation , we add little oil on the heater to ensure a good thermal contact (this is what my teacher says). I wonder if OIL is a good thermal conductor, isn't it a poor conductor of heat?

also, I would like to ask that will the liquid or solid state of one thing affects its heat capacity? i.e. will ice and water have the same heat capacity?

thank you very much!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Lamalam
In a experiment measuring the specific heat capacity of aluminium, we insert a immersion heater into the aluminium block.
one of the error in the experiment is that, there is air gap between the metal block and the heater, to improve this situation , we add little oil on the heater to ensure a good thermal contact (this is what my teacher says). I wonder if OIL is a good thermal conductor, isn't it a poor conductor of heat?

also, I would like to ask that will the liquid or solid state of one thing affects its heat capacity? i.e. will ice and water have the same heat capacity?

thank you very much!!!!!

U said oil is a good thermal conductor which is same as saying it is a good conductor of heat....
For your next query i think its no as to measure the heat capacity you would require temperature difference which in the case of water will be less as compared to ice having more difference , so guess its a no!
Original post by Lamalam

thank you very much!!!!!

You say it's either an air gap or an oil gap.
Oil is a much better conductor than air.

Look up the specific heat capacity of ice and water here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity#Table_of_specific_heat_capacities

No they are not the same.
Reply 3
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest