The Student Room Group

Good enough for Medicine?

Hi, I'm expected the following grades do you think they would be reasonable enough for a medical student?

Core Maths-A*
Further Maths-A
Core Science- A*
Additional Science-A*
History-A*
Business Studies-A-A*
English Language-A
English Literature-A
Design&Technology Graphics A
ICT-B-A

I've selected the following for AS/A2;
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
History(AS)

Your thoughts?
Hey :smile: those grades are really good I think they're more than reasonable for a med student - good luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tayabq
Hi, I'm expected the following grades do you think they would be reasonable enough for a medical student?

Core Maths-A*
Further Maths-A
Core Science- A*
Additional Science-A*
History-A*
Business Studies-A-A*
English Language-A
English Literature-A
ICT-B-A

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
History(AS)

Your thoughts?

I think they normally say about 5A*s and the rest A's for a decent med school, so yh they're fine
Not for Oxbridge, but anywhere else is fine.
Reply 4
Original post by MidnightDream
Hey :smile: those grades are really good I think they're more than reasonable for a med student - good luck in your exams :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Original post by tayabq

Core Maths-A*
Further Maths-A
Core Science- A*
Additional Science-A*
History-A*
Business Studies-A-A*
English Language-A
English Literature-A
ICT-B-A

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
History(AS)

Your thoughts?

Depends on the medical school. As they are predicted I would advise that you put every effort into getting the best grades you can as a lot of medical schools use GCSE grades as one of the first parts of selection, so the better the grades the more likely to be interviewed.

Additionally have you any work experience or volunteering? If not then that is your priority. Without either you would get binned immediately. As much variety as possible but do get some.

Any other questions (I'm a 1st year medic at Cardiff) then feel free to PM me :smile:

Good Luck
Reply 6
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Not for Oxbridge, but anywhere else is fine.

I was thinking about going to Manchester or possibly Liverpool as they are quite local so yeah i wasn't really planning on Oxbridge but thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Muppet Science
Depends on the medical school. As they are predicted I would advise that you put every effort into getting the best grades you can as a lot of medical schools use GCSE grades as one of the first parts of selection, so the better the grades the more likely to be interviewed.

Additionally have you any work experience or volunteering? If not then that is your priority. Without either you would get binned immediately. As much variety as possible but do get some.

Any other questions (I'm a 1st year medic at Cardiff) then feel free to PM me :smile:

Good Luck

I was planning on starting in the summer before college? Do you think this is too late or?
Original post by tayabq
I was planning on starting in the summer before college? Do you think this is too late or?

It's before I started and I got in :smile:

The earlier the better but getting work experience is also important and arguably more important.

Quick Reply

Latest