The Student Room Group

Graduate medicine 2024 entry

Hi,

I am a graduate of BSc global health (1st class with hons) and I am applying for medicine this year, for 2024 entry. For a bit of contextual info, my A Levels are: Biology, geography and history (A*A*A*) so no I do not have chemistry which is a bit unconventional and limits the universities I can apply to a bit.

However I managed to get a good score in my UCAT (3000+), but I did not sit the GAMSAT or BMAT. I am currently in between a few universities, and was wondering if anyone has any advice? I want to maximise my chances of getting in, and ideally would prefer unis that prioritise the UCAT. I have over 70 hours of work experience, but am not sure if its enough compared to other applicants...

The universities im considering for graduate entry are:
Southampton (Definite)
Warwick (Definite)
Surrey (most likely)
And maybe Newcastle? but am not sure if it is more/less competitive than the others

And for undergraduate
Either UEA (most likely) or Kent Medway

Am also stuck between Worcester and Chester for grad entry, as I know Worcester has another entry test (Casper test) so not sure if its worth applying there, plus they are both a bit far from where I live

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it, as it has always been my dream to go to medical school but I always convinced myself I was not good enough to do it, but now I am actually going to bite the bullet and apply, but am afraid my application won't be prioritised or viewed as good as others, given my non-science degree and having less work experience!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Hi!

Congratulations on your UCAT and 1st class degree!

I would not consider Surrey if I was you as they are only offering 2 UK places this year. Your other options sound great. Worcester has the Casper and two interviews but they do like locals and NHS workers. Newcastle has really high cutoffs but if you have a 3070-3100's you should be fine, they only offer 25 places though. If your degree has enough chemistry you might be eligible for Queen Mary's 4 year course as well.

I would say definitely go for Warwick as they've said in the open day you only need the 70 hours experience so having more does not give you any advantage. Southampton A101 is a great option as well and perhaps A100 too if you decide against Chester and Worcester. Chester is Warwick's sister school so they have a similar structure if that's what you like about Warwick. UEA and Kent sound good if you want yo give yourself a better shot (more places).

Hope this helps and good luck!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Melliexx
Hi!

Congratulations on your UCAT and 1st class degree!

I would not consider Surrey if I was you as they are only offering 2 UK places this year. Your other options sound great. Worcester has the Casper and two interviews but they do like locals and NHS workers. Newcastle has really high cutoffs but if you have a 3070-3100's you should be fine, they only offer 25 places though. If your degree has enough chemistry you might be eligible for Queen Mary's 4 year course as well.

I would say definitely go for Warwick as they've said in the open day you only need the 70 hours experience so having more does not give you any advantage. Southampton A101 is a great option as well and perhaps A100 too if you decide against Chester and Worcester. Chester is Warwick's sister school so they have a similar structure if that's what you like about Warwick. UEA and Kent sound good if you want yo give yourself a better shot (more places).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi! Thank you for the reply! I was wondering where you found the information that surrey only offers two places this year as i haven’t seen it?
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student applying to GEM for 2024 entry.

May I have your insight into my chances for an interview(s)?

I have a 2:1 in BSc Neuroscience and 2740 for UCAT with 600 in VR. I also have 78 hours of work experience (52 hands-on care, 16 shadowing, and 10 virtual).

The only uni that I'm certain of applying to is Warwick but don't know if I should.

What other GEM unis do you think I should apply to that don't ask for GCSEs?

Thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by xoxlaurenxox
Hi! Thank you for the reply! I was wondering where you found the information that surrey only offers two places this year as i haven’t seen it?

Sorry for the late reply!

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago. It's worth emailing them again as some unis have gotten funding for more places recently.

Good Luck!
Reply 6
Original post by ghnoubijari
Hi everyone,

I have a 2:1 in BSc Neuroscience and 2740 for UCAT with 600 in VR. I also have 78 hours of work experience (52 hands-on care, 16 shadowing, and 10 virtual).

The only uni that I'm certain of applying to is Warwick but don't know if I should.

Thank you.

Warwick should be fine, Chester, St Georges 5 year course.

If you have science A levels then Worcester too.

Good Luck!
Original post by xoxlaurenxox
Hi,

I am a graduate of BSc global health (1st class with hons) and I am applying for medicine this year, for 2024 entry. For a bit of contextual info, my A Levels are: Biology, geography and history (A*A*A*) so no I do not have chemistry which is a bit unconventional and limits the universities I can apply to a bit.

However I managed to get a good score in my UCAT (3000+), but I did not sit the GAMSAT or BMAT. I am currently in between a few universities, and was wondering if anyone has any advice? I want to maximise my chances of getting in, and ideally would prefer unis that prioritise the UCAT. I have over 70 hours of work experience, but am not sure if its enough compared to other applicants...

The universities im considering for graduate entry are:
Southampton (Definite)
Warwick (Definite)
Surrey (most likely)
And maybe Newcastle? but am not sure if it is more/less competitive than the others

And for undergraduate
Either UEA (most likely) or Kent Medway

Am also stuck between Worcester and Chester for grad entry, as I know Worcester has another entry test (Casper test) so not sure if its worth applying there, plus they are both a bit far from where I live

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it, as it has always been my dream to go to medical school but I always convinced myself I was not good enough to do it, but now I am actually going to bite the bullet and apply, but am afraid my application won't be prioritised or viewed as good as others, given my non-science degree and having less work experience!

Hello,

I just had a conversation with the admissions team, and they confirmed that there are only two available spots for UK students. It appears that you're a highly qualified candidate, but it's worth keeping this in mind.

The course requirement specifies A-level Biology or Chemistry, so I don't believe this should be a problem. In general, our personal statement evaluation emphasises enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. You are not expected to possess all the knowledge in advance, especially for a graduate entry programme!

Medicine courses are indeed competitive, but if you're passionate about it, I'm confident it will work out 😊

I've been studying at the University for the past four years and have truly enjoyed my time here. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology
Original post by ghnoubijari
Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Congrats on getting a 2:1 and 2740 on your UCAT!! and what website did you use to practice for the UCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending