The Student Room Group

Gender choice on application form

Poll

Should gender choice on application forms be changed?

Should there be an other section where the applicant can write the gender they identify with?
Should it just be replaced with the word "sex"? Should there continue to be just two options?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's fine as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I think there should be male, female, trans* and other.

Or instead of choosing from some options, the person can just type in their gender..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwertyking
I think it's fine as it is.

Why?
Original post by Basmaa
I think there should be male, female, trans* and other.

Or instead of choosing from some options, the person can just type in their gender..

True. Simple solution actually.
Reply 4
i don't think there should be an option for "trans" as trans is not actually a gender - those who identify as a gender which is different to their sex should simply tick the box for that gender. Also there should be more options such as non-binary
Reply 5
Original post by wrote
i don't think there should be an option for "trans" as trans is not actually a gender - those who identify as a gender which is different to their sex should simply tick the box for that gender. Also there should be more options such as non-binary

This, some people who are trans may not want to out themselves on an application form and would prefer recognition of their gender rather than their sex.
Reply 6
They always used to ask for one's "sex" but at some hard to determine point in recent history the loony left propaganda machine started enquiring instead about "gender" to try and normalise the notion that biological facts are of less importance than mental delusions and fantasies which everyone is now expected to share with the bearer of them.

Whenever I have to fill out one of these hyper politically correct forms I treat it with the disdain it deserves and tick boxes at random.
Reply 7
Original post by thesabbath

Whenever I have to fill out one of these hyper politically correct forms I treat it with the disdain it deserves and tick boxes at random.

So a future employer might think you're a White muslim Lesbian Transgendered female?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Skip_Snip
So a future employer might think you're a White muslim Transgendered female?

This can only be a good thing for advancing one's career prospects, surely.
Reply 9
Definitely there should be more options! You get a lot of idiots complaining about having more options, but I bet most of them wouldn't even notice if there were a few more options on the gender section.

It would be really good to have male, female, intersex, other, genderqueer, undisclosed and the like on the sheet as well as the option to write something more specific. Some people say it's 'hyper politically correct' but I call it being nice to people who probably already have it harder than me because society doesn't accept them for who they are.

Also, why do so many places need to know my gender!? Sure, some of them I can understand. But if I'm just creating a bank account or something, it doesn't really need to be included!
I don't think trans should be an option because it's not a specific gender but a gender identity. Being a male and identifying as a male for example are two different things. Well actually they're not too different because they both have the right to be a male, if you get what I mean. What I'm trying to say is this: specifying transgenderyness can lead to discrimination. If we could just say abolish the discrimination rather than abolish the potential for a trans option then that would be just perfect but that'll never happen in our world. I just think that an application/quetsionnaire/survey/whatever should just ask for one's gender rather than one's sex and if you identify as a woman, regardless of whether you have boobs or not, tick Female. If you identify as a man, regardless of whether you have a penis or not, tick Male. We should be offered that right by employers everywhere- tbh if I ticked Male and my employer, (after meeting me), said "Well you look like a woman to me so you must be a woman" or "Well you've lied about your gender on here" then I'd go somewhere else and let them kiss my ass goodbye. :bootyshake:

LOL anyway, I think the question, if it's really necessary to be there in the first place, should be "What is your gender?" or on some formats of applications just "Gender" and the answers should be "Male", "Female", "Non-binary", "Agender", "Other", (but there should be no "specify" because sadly there are ***** out there who discriminate), and "Prefer not to say", (if the gender is not totally required). But then if you ask someone for their gender and you have lenience and allowance for them not to specify, then in my opinion you shouldn't be asking for their gender anyway. I believe that an employer should only ask for gender when it is absolutely necessary, (I can't think of any examples but there could be some circumstances), because gender can allow discrimnation and gender isn't important anyway. Gender just fills us with rainbows. :^_^:

However, on the poll I voted "Increase the number of sections to include the primary non male/female genders" because that's probably closest to what I've just said. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Saaus

It would be really good to have male, female, intersex, other, genderqueer, undisclosed and the like on the sheet

wtf are they? I'm gay and I've not heard of those things xD
Reply 12
How can somebody be "other"? I get that people are trans or whatever, but you still surely identify with one gender over another?
Original post by Mackay
How can somebody be "other"? I get that people are trans or whatever, but you still surely identify with one gender over another?

Nope some people are genderfluid, or don't identify as having a gender at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just write "sex" and have two options "male" and "female" ffs.

These people don't give a **** what you think you are, they care about what you are biologically.
Reply 15
Except they can't just have two options for sex because there are more than two sexes. Do your research, people. (There's AT LEAST five, and about 500 variations on that between the five broad categories, according to research in the 90s from Anne Fausto-Sterling; look up her reports, there's so much information out there. Trust me, I'm doing a whole EPQ project on this stuff.) Really, they should just have options for gender. Man, woman, genderfluid, agender, bigender, genderqueer, third gender, etc. If Facebook can do it with no problems, why is it so hard for everyone else?
Original post by glow-cloud
Except they can't just have two options for sex because there are more than two sexes. Do your research, people. (There's AT LEAST five, and about 500 variations on that between the five broad categories, according to research in the 90s from Anne Fausto-Sterling; look up her reports, there's so much information out there. Trust me, I'm doing a whole EPQ project on this stuff.) Really, they should just have options for gender. Man, woman, genderfluid, agender, bigender, genderqueer, third gender, etc. If Facebook can do it with no problems, why is it so hard for everyone else?

Because in the real world most people have no reason to frame their thoughts according to the deconstructionist principles of critical theory obsessed pseudo-scientists?
Reply 17
Original post by keromedic
Should there be an other section where the applicant can write the gender they identify with?
Should it just be replaced with the word "sex"? Should there continue to be just two options?

It should say 'sex', which is what they mean anyway.
Reply 18
Original post by A Perfect Circle
Just write "sex" and have two options "male" and "female" ffs.

These people don't give a **** what you think you are, they care about what you are biologically.

Despite the bluntness of this...the sentiment is actually 100% true. I agree.
Reply 19
Original post by Skip_Snip
wtf are they? I'm gay and I've not heard of those things xD

Do some research! There are a lot of genders and sexualities and its good to know about them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending