The Student Room Group

I don't buy the claim that feminism is about equality

The feminists in the early to mid 20th century actually had a cause to unite and form an organisation because they were not treated equally and had their rights oppressed. At that time women did not have the vote, did not have access to free education and the vast majority of men generally thought women were stupid and incapable and these men were wrong. The feminists had every right to fight for their freedom and they succeeded in giving women equal rights. Today in 2014, women have the vote and compromise of more than half of the voting population. They have the right to free education and the vast majority of our society does not discrimate against women and treat them equally to men and it is widely considered that gender equality has been acheived.

....so why on earth do we still have these feminists that cry for gender equality and more rights for women? Their main job today, beside empowering women and making them more likely to unconditionally favour other women than men in the workplace, which is something multiple people i know have experienced, is to increase salaries for women, reduce rape and domestic violence against women. Which are all great things and i'm not complaining about that.

But wait a minute, i thought feminism is about gender equality, right? Ok, so what they are they doing about the other half of the population, men? What are they doing to tackle male rape and domestic violence, which is something that is almost as high as domestic violence against women, but isn't taken as seriously by society or media? How about that the fact that men have nowhere near enough equality as women, when it comes to child custody or child support payments? A mother can take away a man's child, while nibbling away at his salary. If two 15 year old were to have sex, under law it would count as the man raping the women. Male genital mutilation is ok, but people lose their minds about female genital mutilation. Men are more likely to be convincted to longer jail sentences for equivalent crimes. How about the fact that men can be drafted and women can't?

These are all major issues in "gender equality", yet the issues that deprive men are NOT tackled, despite their magnitude and abundance, yet the dwindling female issues are still heavily publicized by these feminists. They have successfully managed to victimize themselves as this oppressed gender, despite the fact that they gave superior rights to men in many fields. The fact that these issues are not tackled, and that the fact that it seems as though it's a movement to empower women to unconditionally favour other women under the false pretense that they're being immorally opressed more than men, raises an eyebrow for me.

Let me just say that i am completely and totally for gender equality and i do not hate women or think of them as anything less than men. In fact, i love women, i think they're just great. But unfortunately, i must apologise to the feminazis of TSR, because i simply don't buy your **** and i certainly don't agree with your tenacious attempts to strip more and more rights off honest, caring fathers, husbands and young men. This is the 21st century, you have equal rights if not more rights than men now, you are NOT special, you DON'T deserve additional or special rights just because you're women and you definitely are not an equal rights movement, but an echoe of pathetic self-victimization of women who think men owe them something for nothing. If you were a gender equality movement, you'd do your upmost to tackle the issues of both genders equally, but you don't. And the fact that in this day and age to think that you need a movement specifically dedicated only to women issues is completely counter productive of your goals in the eyes of most people, because it just broadcasts that you feminsts (not all women) are weak and irrational. Adios.
Reply 1
Original post by 4RealBlud
The feminists in the early to mid 20th century actually had a cause to unite and form an organisation because they were not treated equally and had their rights oppressed. At that time women did not have the vote, did not have access to free education and the vast majority of men generally thought women were stupid and incapable and these men were wrong. The feminists had every right to fight for their freedom and they succeeded in giving women equal rights. Today in 2014, women have the vote and compromise of more than half of the voting population. They have the right to free education and the vast majority of our society does not discrimate against women and treat them equally to men and it is widely considered that gender equality has been acheived.

....so why on earth do we still have these feminists that cry for gender equality and more rights for women? Their main job today, beside empowering women and making them more likely to unconditionally favour other women than men in the workplace, which is something multiple people i know have experienced, is to increase salaries for women, reduce rape and domestic violence against women. Which are all great things and i'm not complaining about that.

But wait a minute, i thought feminism is about gender equality, right? Ok, so what they are they doing about the other half of the population, men? What are they doing to tackle male rape and domestic violence, which is something that is almost as high as domestic violence against women, but isn't taken as seriously by society or media? How about that the fact that men have nowhere near enough equality as women, when it comes to child custody or child support payments? A mother can take away a man's child, while nibbling away at his salary. If two 15 year old were to have sex, under law it would count as the man raping the women. Male genital mutilation is ok, but people lose their minds about female genital mutilation. Men are more likely to be convincted to longer jail sentences for equivalent crimes. How about the fact that men can be drafted and women can't?

These are all major issues in "gender equality", yet the issues that deprive men are NOT tackled, despite their magnitude and abundance, yet the dwindling female issues are still heavily publicized by these feminists. They have successfully managed to victimize themselves as this oppressed gender, despite the fact that they gave superior rights to men in many fields. The fact that these issues are not tackled, and that the fact that it seems as though it's a movement to empower women to unconditionally favour other women under the false pretense that they're being immorally opressed more than men, raises an eyebrow for me.

Let me just say that i am completely and totally for gender equality and i do not hate women or think of them as anything less than men. In fact, i love women, i think they're just great. But unfortunately, i must apologise to the feminazis of TSR, because i simply don't buy your **** and i certainly don't agree with your tenacious attempts to strip more and more rights off honest, caring fathers, husbands and young men. This is the 21st century, you have equal rights if not more rights than men now, you are NOT special, you DON'T deserve additional or special rights just because you're women and you definitely are not an equal rights movement, but an echoe of pathetic self-victimization of women who think men owe them something for nothing. If you were a gender equality movement, you'd do your upmost to tackle the issues of both genders equally, but you don't. And the fact that in this day and age to think that you need a movement specifically dedicated only to women issues is completely counter productive of your goals in the eyes of most people, because it just broadcasts that you feminsts (not all women) are weak and irrational. Adios.

Godwin's law. You lost the argument.
Reply 2
Original post by Messalina
Godwin's law. You lost the argument.

just lol
Reply 3
Original post by 4RealBlud
just lol

I know right, you wasted all that time writing a big long piece only to discredit it all by referencing the nazis. Rookie mistake bro.
I'm starting to get tired of these repetitive threads.
Why doesn't somebody make an official thread for things like this and pin it to the top of chat/society?
So then whenever somebody decides that want to **** to their hatred of feminism, they can just pop onto that thread- instant orgasm.
I agree with OP, and I'm female. We aren't all insane.
It's not. It's about positive discrimination towards women. It's all about equity.
Reply 7
Original post by Messalina
I know right, you wasted all that time writing a big long piece only to discredit it all by referencing the nazis. Rookie mistake bro.

Your logic is uncanny.
Reply 8
Original post by WanderingWorrier
I'm starting to get tired of these repetitive threads.
Why doesn't somebody make an official thread for things like this and pin it to the top of chat/society?
So then whenever somebody decides that want to **** to their hatred of feminism, they can just pop onto that thread- instant orgasm.

Can we also have one for conversations about sex, should i get back with my ex, how do i ask this girl i've known for 12 years out, gay marriage, muslim debates and how long a piece of string is?
Original post by james1211
Can we also have one for conversations about sex, should i get back with my ex, how do i ask this girl i've known for 12 years out, gay marriage, muslim debates and how long a piece of string is?

Definitely. Especially for Muslim debates, homosexuality etc.
Reply 10
Original post by snowyowl
I agree with OP, and I'm female. We aren't all insane.

Dw, i know :smile:
Reply 11
feminism is an ugly and pitiful whimper of pathetic hopelessness. women don't need hopelessness, women can do well in society on their own without a governmental crutch.
The child residency thing (we don't call it custody in this country anymore) can easily be explained if you actually look at the issue in any detail:
1) The vast majority of couples don't go through court to decide where their children should live after a separation - they decide amongst themselves. Gender roles probably often come into this - both parents might think a child needs its mother more, or maybe the father thinks he shouldn't bother trying because 'courts are biased towards women'. But ultimately that most children with separated parents live with their mother is not down to the courts at all.
2) It is often mothers rather than fathers who give up work or go part-time to look after children, and even full-time mothers tend to spend more time on childcare than fathers. Therefore, when a judge is deciding who a child should live with they are going to look at who is the primary care giver and that will be looked upon favourably.
3) Men tend to pay more child support than women because children tend to live with their mothers. You don't pay child support if the child lives with you but they still have to pay for the child's upkeep but rather than paying one sum a month or whatever, you're paying constantly for things the child needs.
4) Men tend to earn more than women so they tend to contribute more financially to supporting the child. It's not a way of punishing men - it is a way of ensuring the child has a decent quality of life once one of their parents isn't contributing to the family income anymore.

Now I'm not denying that assumptions about gender roles may play a part in deciding where a child should live after a separation. Some judges may have a traditional view of gender roles and be more inclined to side with the mother. However, it isn't nearly as straightforward as it is often presented and in family law the child's wellbeing is the priority.
Reply 13
I agree. Don't understand what they are trying to get out of preaching about it on TSR? :confused:
It's funny and tragic at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending