The Student Room Group

Is violence against men on TV empowering to women?

It's obviously part of modern western culture that a woman hitting a man is pretty much acceptable, at least in some situations. I mean, look at movies and TV shows, women hitting men in the balls, slapping them, throwing hard objects whenever the guy says or does something she deems ''unacceptable'' is seen as not just deserved but also empowering/you go girl mmmm. Same thing with a entire female panel and audience laughing their asses off at a guy having dick chopped off after being drugged by his wife simply because he wanted a divorce.

Now, can you imagine hundreds of movies/shows where men beat up women and it's treated as funny or empowering? Or an entire male panel/audience laughing at a woman having her genitals chopped off and thrown in the garbage disposal? If equality is the end game, can guys have a show where we laugh at women being raped and stabbed ?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I do not find any violence empowering, personally, and I find your rhetorical questions to be really unnecessary to your point for clear hypocritical reasons. This is done 'in retort', and yet your 'insightful' argument is in the same fashion. But it is perfectly easy to see why some people, on the surface, find it empowering on some level. It's just the idea that you can do something for yourself that people don't expect you to do for whatever reason. It's ultimate rebellion. It's stupid, utterly, and malicious, but it really isn't hard with a bit of thought to see why there is laughter.

Spoiler

Don't feed the troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lucybuckleyy
Don't feed the troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In itself the topic is interesting though. I find it creepy and shameful to watch those women laugh. It just shows how messy everything has become.
It's 'troll' because this is one of a million antagonistic, ulterior-motive threads from the same user, but at the end of the day it won't be removed/he won't be cautioned because the core of the posts is still an interesting discussion, the way it is wrapped up and tied with an MRA ribbon is the only issue.
Reply 4
Original post by lucybuckleyy
Don't feed the troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

His views are clear, but anyone, including myself, could have made relatively the same opening post, as its a genuine discussion.

I thought this when watching Thor, she slaps him hard twice cos he didn't contact her, everyone laughs. If a guy smacks a girl a couple of times for not answering him, it doesn't seem so hilarious, I guess it's okay though, because men on average can cause more physical harm.
(edited 10 years ago)
No it isn't. But I do find that there are certain things in films and TV series like male violence and sexual assault to be seen as humorous, whereas if you reversed the genders it would be the subject of outrage.

Also please note: that while you may raise some very interesting issues please present them properly. If you're an MRA and what to preach the goodness of your movement, then be mature about it.
Reply 6
Original post by Ade9000
No it isn't. But I do find that there are certain things in films and TV series like male violence and sexual assault to be seen as humorous, whereas if you reversed the genders it would be the subject of outrage.

Also please note: that while you may raise some very interesting issues please present them properly. If you're an MRA and what to preach the goodness of your movement, then be mature about it.

I didn't even know what MRA was till people started calling me that, I thought it was a brain scan or something till I googled it.
Reply 7
Original post by joey11223
His views are clear, but anyone, including myself, could have made relatively the same opening post, as its a genuine discussion.

I thought this when watching Thor, she slaps him hard twice cos he didn't contact her, everyone laughs. If a guy smacks a girl a couple of times for not answering him, it doesn't seem so hilarious, I guess it's okay though, because men on average can cause more physical harm.

I think this is also insulting to women. Not only they can hit men because they are weaker but they also act like children by reacting so emotionally and without responsibility and constraint. The same way we let children get away with so much. You can't demand to be considered equal while still having the accountability of a child.
Reply 8
They're clearly taking the piss.

Male comedians already do joke about women being raped and stabbed; have you never seen Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, et al?

They apologised after the realisation that they had pitched to the wrong audience, which is key to dark humour.
Reply 9
Original post by DarkWhite

Male comedians already do joke about women being raped and stabbed; have you never seen Frankie Boyle,

Frankie sort of belongs in his own category, including his biography..sometimes I ponder if he's joking or not with some of what he comes out with tbh.
Original post by jamieTT
It's obviously part of modern western culture that a woman hitting a man is pretty much acceptable, at least in some situations. I mean, look at movies and TV shows, women hitting men in the balls, slapping them, throwing hard objects whenever the guy says or does something she deems ''unacceptable'' is seen as not just deserved but also empowering/you go girl mmmm.

Girls & women know it is acceptable to get away with it because women can force violence on the man by proxy (a man nearby could be a protector, calling police, more likely to be believed & given sympathy by society, parental alienation), despite physical differences - empowerment becomes privilege.

I think it seeps into ads because most ads are geared to women; as themselves or couple they r a major influence http://womenbuyingpower.com + women are more likely to see ads, especially (work/mother) at home.
By showing men is idiots &/or hitting him they are marketing "ignore his POV, he doesn't count - you know better, buy it". Women Feeling (biologically more emotional & what it entails) better about themselves wrt intelligence & strength (i.e. women beating up a man) makes them like the product & buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tebYr9fBf9U

If u apply the same principal in Films & TV, you get some women liking to "share the solidarity of empowerment". So feel good about themselves & program.
I am guessing to get funding (if not real demand), some directors are replacing women in the role where a man would be. I mean why is there only film like Men Don't Tell from 1993.

So yes, I think it is empowering to them - they are "worth it" as cash cows! Sacred.

Original post by jamieTT
I didn't even know what MRA was till people started calling me that, I thought it was a brain scan or something till I googled it.

Magnetic Resonance Angiography, which can be a brain scan; if there was a diagnosis for u, it is terminal.
You may wanna limit posting in Society (others have mentioned already), so that you can develop the ideas, more clearly understanding the full picture (differing arguments) & solutions to live a safer life. Knowledge in 21C world is more powerful. You do readers, contributors & yourself a disservice.

Original post by joey11223
I think u were being sarcastic, excusing women's violence? :confused:
Also there is the cuts & bleeds that are not physical.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is a good example of why patriarchy is not always benefitial to men. The underlying reason here is that women are weak, men are strong. So it's funny because it subverts that, in the same way a child beating up a man would be funny. Women hitting men is not acceptable, and a more equal society would understand that.
men dont speak out like women do. thats hardly our fault. personally I wouldnt hit a guy ever
Original post by jamieTT
I think this is also insulting to women. Not only they can hit men because they are weaker but they also act like children by reacting so emotionally and without responsibility and constraint. The same way we let children get away with so much. You can't demand to be considered equal while still having the accountability of a child.

RoK?

Oh but they do demand to be considered equal.

You came to the wrong place to post about this. All TSR will say is "not all women are like than" "I PERSONALLY don't think so" "troll!" "Stop being s3xisst"

I hope you made one of them cry though :colondollar:
Original post by DarkWhite

Male comedians already do joke about women being raped and stabbed; have you never seen Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, et al?

They apologised after the realisation that they had pitched to the wrong audience, which is key to dark humour.

The View programme is at 10-11am, daytime viewing. It would be a sick world where jokes about women being raped and stabbed, along with men being castrated where on tv when kids could watch it. No?

Original post by Mankytoes
This is a good example of why patriarchy is not always benefitial to men. The underlying reason here is that women are weak, men are strong. So it's funny because it subverts that, in the same way a child beating up a man would be funny. Women hitting men is not acceptable, and a more equal society would understand that.

Biologically most women are physically weak, hence why the do not go into professions where physical demands in the job affect productivity (hence pay).
Women have to use their strengths that nature gave them (biologically communication, etc. see brain differences), so use manipulation, sex (google for book Sex-Ploytation) & men's chivalrous nature toget what they want, even survive. E.g. during recession early 2000s (& wartime) when men were committing suicide in high numbers (previously linked stats on 150 years of male suicide), women are making themselves even more attractive.
As mentioned in earlier post, it is a business transaction & selling.
Original post by rad_student

Biologically most women are physically weak, hence why the do not go into professions where physical demands in the job affect productivity (hence pay).
Women have to use their strengths that nature gave them (biologically communication, etc. see brain differences), so use manipulation, sex (google for book Sex-Ploytation) & men's chivalrous nature toget what they want, even survive. E.g. during recession early 2000s (& wartime) when men were committing suicide in high numbers (previously linked stats on 150 years of male suicide), women are making themselves even more attractive.
As mentioned in earlier post, it is a business transaction & selling.

Of course women are physically weaker on average, but seeing as pretty much no high paying jobs are physical anymore, I don't really see what your point is? When people talk about the pay gap, they talk about CEOs, not labourers.

Basically, you think women are manipulative. I don't know why you quoted me, do you agree or disagree on my point on violence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending