The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Physics PLEASE HELP!

I'm revising for my AS Physics Unit 1 and 2 exams, which are next month, and I don't have a clue as to how I'm going to get a decent grade!! The mock that we did was last year's paper, and I got an E!!

Can somebody give me some tips or useful things for revision that I can do? I get really confused about the wording of the questions sometimes! Does anybody have any worked examples of questions, or ones that are broken down so that they can be explained??

Thanks, think I'll need all the help I can get!!
Original post by jsc123
I'm revising for my AS Physics Unit 1 and 2 exams, which are next month, and I don't have a clue as to how I'm going to get a decent grade!! The mock that we did was last year's paper, and I got an E!!

Can somebody give me some tips or useful things for revision that I can do? I get really confused about the wording of the questions sometimes! Does anybody have any worked examples of questions, or ones that are broken down so that they can be explained??

Hey there, I'm just going to put this into the physics forum for you as you might get more responses there.

Can you give an example of the wording that confuses you? Some people might be able to better help then. :smile:
Hello Jsc123,

If you could post a question?
or maybe provide a link to one you are struggling with?

I would be more then happy to guide you threw it as best as i can :smile:

Im currently doing Physics aswell (AQA)

Kind regards
- Super
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply first of all!

Here's one from the January 2012 paper:

(Regarding wind turbines)

The area swept out by one blade as it turns through 360 degrees is 6000m^2. Wind at a speed of 9m/s passes the turbine.

-Show that the volume of air passing through this area in 5 seconds is about 300 000m^3.
Original post by jsc123
Thanks for the reply first of all!

Here's one from the January 2012 paper:

(Regarding wind turbines)

The area swept out by one blade as it turns through 360 degrees is 6000m^2. Wind at a speed of 9m/s passes the turbine.

-Show that the volume of air passing through this area in 5 seconds is about 300 000m^3.

Ok with any question like this the first thing i would do is think about what formulas you can use!!

With this, you are going to be working out Volume, you have been given the area which is 6000m^2. Now the bit that might catch you up in this question is that you
can use the 9 m/s as LENGTH!! as its Meters per second i believe!

From this you should know that Volume = Area * Length

So you have Volume = 6000 * 9
Volume = 54,000 M^3 (Unit is irrelevant tbh)

Ok so now you have the volume per second, as the length was meters per second if you remember.

The question asks for the volume in 5 seconds!

So Volume = 54,000 * 5

Volume = 270,000 M^3

And that is your answer, as the question asks shows that it is about 300,000 not exactly 300,000

I hope this made sense, if not please say! Ill try think of a better way to explain it :smile:

Kind regards
- Super
Reply 5
That does make sense now, thanks!!

I don't suppose you could just briefly go through Newton's Laws please? Just the basic principals and maybe a worked example? This is one of my main weaknesses! :s-smilie:

Thanks, really appreciate it!! :smile:
If you could give me an example of a question then sure I could talk you threw it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jsc123
That does make sense now, thanks!!

I don't suppose you could just briefly go through Newton's Laws please? Just the basic principals and maybe a worked example? This is one of my main weaknesses! :s-smilie:

Thanks, really appreciate it!! :smile:

As requested above.
This isn't a tutorial site where we can "go through Newton's Laws" with you. You will find these in your book. So you need to provide a question you are working on, which we will be pleased to help you with.
Reply 8
Original post by jsc123

See the second post on this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312846&page=2

Quick Reply

Latest