The Student Room Group

Starting A-level content early

I am taking a-level biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Since I have a lot of spare time on my hands and I want to be ahead for the new academic year, I would like to start learning the A-level content early. Please can someone suggest some resources or tips for this? Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by pandasandpines
I am taking a-level biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Since I have a lot of spare time on my hands and I want to be ahead for the new academic year, I would like to start learning the A-level content early. Please can someone suggest some resources or tips for this? Thank you. :smile:

That's splendid!

The only subject I have in common with you is Maths. What exam board are you with for Maths?
Hello,
I'm taking biology and math. I think these subjects need serious preparation for one to get good grades. I wish you success in your preparations for exams and assignments.

You could get the CGP head start to A level books, I had them for biology and chemistry
Original post by tamilGuy.
That's splendid!

The only subject I have in common with you is Maths. What exam board are you with for Maths?

My exam board is Edexcel.
Reply 5
My exam board is Edexcel.

Oh nice, same. Well I would start with either getting physical or digital copies of the textbooks that p much every school uses. Look up Pure 1 and Applied 1 for Edexcel A-level maths and you should be able to find pdfs online.. Start working through the chapters in the pure book. Do questions, the book has a ton. I won't suggest jumping into exam questions from past papers, the book has an ok level of difficulty, so do those first and once you feel confident, you could start looking at past papers (but no rush! you could do this even after starting y12, so dont worry). Likewise, i would focus on mechanics year 1 (which is the second half of the applied textbook, the first half being statistics). Mechanics, non-physics people find it harder so i'd also take a look at mechanics chapters (i think its chapter 8 onwards at AS). But yes, key point, use the textbooks, understand the content, do the exercises in the textbook. If you need help, you can pm me :smile:
Reply 6
Bicens maths on youtube for Maths A Level
Oh nice, same. Well I would start with either getting physical or digital copies of the textbooks that p much every school uses. Look up Pure 1 and Applied 1 for Edexcel A-level maths and you should be able to find pdfs online.. Start working through the chapters in the pure book. Do questions, the book has a ton. I won't suggest jumping into exam questions from past papers, the book has an ok level of difficulty, so do those first and once you feel confident, you could start looking at past papers (but no rush! you could do this even after starting y12, so dont worry). Likewise, i would focus on mechanics year 1 (which is the second half of the applied textbook, the first half being statistics). Mechanics, non-physics people find it harder so i'd also take a look at mechanics chapters (i think its chapter 8 onwards at AS). But yes, key point, use the textbooks, understand the content, do the exercises in the textbook. If you need help, you can pm me :smile:

Thank you so so much, I will keep your advice in mind. Have a good day :smile:
Original post by alanb21
Bicens maths on youtube for Maths A Level

Thank youuu
Reply 9
Read up on stuff

Excellent!

I did chemistry (Edexcel), maths (Edexcel) and physics (OCR B) last year, so not quite the same subjects as you, but hopefully my old long-term strategies should help somewhat:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

On that post, you’ll also find an abundance of resources that are useful for chemistry, biology and maths.
Original post by odarijackson19
Hello,
I'm taking biology and math. I think these subjects need serious preparation for one to get good grades. I wish you success in your preparations for exams and assignments.

hi is it possible for me to study a level bio in my gap year??
Original post by odarijackson19
Hello,

Thank you so much, I have tried to prepare as much as I can in the summer holidays do you have any more tips for me?

Thank you so much!
I got an a* in biology. If you want to start early buy the aqa or Ed excel endorsed textbook for your subject and have a read and begin to understand. Concepts in biology are not that hard to grasp. Exam technique is key

Quick Reply

Latest