The Student Room Group

Do women deserve equal prizes at Wimbledon?

Scroll to see replies

No, definitely not - they don't play the same number of sets, so it's illogical that they should have the same prizes as men :erm:
Original post by samba
Serena williams is a beast; she'd be fine.

Probably not though...
Reply 42

Indeed. 6 out of 10 richest are women. Yet their skill level is pathetic to that of men. They'd be making more even without the equal prizes. And they still want more. Just pathetic.
Reply 43

Guys who struggle in challengers and many juniors would murder her. Women's tennis is a joke, that's why she looks so good vs women.
Reply 44

She was 16 lol. I'm sure she'd be fine; not a champion or anything, but she'd qualify for tournaments and give it a good go. And you can't improve practicing vs bads; you need to play against better players consistently to properly progress.
Original post by redferry
To me it just feel alike an employer paying less for the same hours.

In industries such as finance, business and general work places employers should without a doubt pay male and females equally. If you do the same job which has similar significance then neither should be paid less.

Sport is a different ball ground(excuse the pun) much like the acting and entertainment industries. The significance of your work is due to your popularity and overall success. In football we have Ronaldo playing for Real Madrid in La Liga ( perhaps the best player in the world, in the best team in one of the best leagues), then we have Sean Morrison who plays for reading in the championship (not a popular player, crap team and average league). Surely Ronaldo should be payed more, his achievements are beyond brilliant compared to a small time player even though they do exactly the same job. Then we can go further to women football which receives less coverage and popularity. I'll be honest I've watched women's football, specifically the arsenal team( apparently one of the best) and I'm sorry to say I couldn't get Into it, it didn't have what Mens football has. The football was sloppy and the best women in the world is 1/10th of Ronaldo and messi. It just woundn't make sense if women got same pay as men in football as it just isn't as popular and will not be.

If a female athlete or team did produce the same quality as the men's game I would happily watch it and enjoy it but until then if men's will give me more entertainment as it does in tennis (the screeching from the likes of sharapova is off putting aswell) and football for example I will stick to that.
Because they will lose all the time due to their natural physical disadvantage???

You may as well say women shouldn't play tennis.

Well in my opinion no one should play tennis, I hate the sport, but I'm all for equality if you are dedicating the same amount of time to your job.

It isn't just about the physical disadvantage though, you say you hate tennis so I'm assuming you don't follow it, but the women are nowhere near the technical level of the men either. Hence Serena, possibly the best ever women's tennis player, and with a very strong physique, said she doubts she'd win a point against Andy Murray.

Why? It isn't like women's tennis isn't popular enough to be self sustaining. It's a good sport, I often watch it, it just shouldn't be compared to the men's game.

So you don't think anyone should do things you don't like? Right... You are talking about communism, if you think pay should be decided by the amount of time someone spends doing a job. Should the cleaner get the same as the CEO?

Original post by samba
She was 16 lol. I'm sure she'd be fine; not a champion or anything, but she'd qualify for tournaments and give it a good go. And you can't improve practicing vs bads; you need to play against better players consistently to properly progress.

Serena has said herself "I probably would still lose to Karsten." http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jun/27/murray-williams-vegas-tennis-match

It should be noted Braasch was well past it when he played Serena, known for drinking and smoking a lot (even smoking during change overs, seriously).

I hate to ally with the annoying anti-feminists on here, but as a tennis fan it really bugs me that people don't get this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
I've no idea given plenty of women have those skills. I think probably because it is predominantly played in men's spaces so women don't really get into it so there is a much smaller pool of women to draw from therefore they aren't going to be very good at it. Same goes for darts. There's no physiological reason I can find why women wouldn't be as good.

Why are the top people almost always men at chess? Scrabble and bridge (both mostly played by women, mind you)? Tetris? Rubik's cube? Players vs player in mmorpg's even though millions of women play the game?
Original post by Mankytoes
It isn't just about the physical disadvantage though, you say you hate tennis so I'm assuming you don't follow it, but the women are nowhere near the technical level of the men either. Hence Serena, possibly the best ever women's tennis player, and with a very strong physique, said she doubts she'd win a point against Andy Murray.

Why? It isn't like women's tennis isn't popular enough to be self sustaining. It's a good sport, I often watch it, it just shouldn't be compared to the men's game.

So you don't think anyone should do things you don't like? Right... You are talking about communism, if you think pay should be decided by the amount of time someone spends doing a job. Should the cleaner get the same as the CEO?

But I really do feel a lot of that is because women aren't encouraged to get into sports - hence things like snooker and darts have no women - and in time they could improve if only the money was there.

No I was just giving my opinion on what I would like to see. I have clearly stated already that I was only talking about within the same job and same employer...
Reply 49

Which is exactly what happens in every job outside of hourly retail work etc.

I work 9-5, same as my boss but I expect that he gets paid at least 4 times the amount I do.
Original post by jamieTT
Why are the top people almost always men at chess? Scrabble and bridge (both mostly played by women, mind you)? Tetris? Rubik's cube? Players vs player in mmorpg's even though millions of women play the game?

Maybe women are just less competitive. The same could be said for poker but look at Victoria Coren.
Original post by samba

You would have to go outside the top 250 in the world before Williams stood a chance of winning a single game.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Which is exactly what happens in every job outside of hourly retail work etc.

I work 9-5, same as my boss but I expect that he gets paid at least 4 times the amount I do.

But he is in a different 'league' to you - as I said I don't mind the different leagues of football beind paid differently its just the fact its pretty much the same job. I guess with performanced based pay coming into everything including a teaching these days its the way the world is headed though.
Reply 53
Original post by Mankytoes

It should be noted Braasch was well past it when he played Serena, known for drinking and smoking a lot (even smoking during change overs, seriously).

I hate to ally with the annoying anti-feminists on here, but as a tennis fan it really bugs me that people don't get this.

The point is though, woman's tennis is bad. How are you supposed to improve if you don't challenge yourself against the best, taste failure, and keep going?

I think the Novak vs Na match showed a great example of this [even though novak was clearly holding back A LOT.] - by the end of the game Na was able to hit a couple of legitimate aces against him, and some very good points.
No. They play less sets and bring in less money.

Giving them the same amount of money isn't equality, it's positive discrimination
No.

Aside from the fact that they don't play as many sets, it's just not as popular. It's like saying should League 2 players be paid the same amount as premier league players, or in the case of tennis, should players in doubles be paid the same amount as men's singles? And again the answer is no, because, were it not for the sexual grunting and short skirts no one would watch women's tennis.
Reply 56
Original post by samba
The point is though, woman's tennis is bad. How are you supposed to improve if you don't challenge yourself against the best, taste failure, and keep going?

I think the Novak vs Na match showed a great example of this [even though novak was clearly holding back A LOT.] - by the end of the game Na was able to hit a couple of legitimate aces against him, and some very good points.

I've never seen that match, just decided to have a look then and ****ing hell it is embarrassing for everyone involved.

Novak is barely patting the ball back and I saw him hit a ball at about 25% speed at one point, not flat, right to the hand of Na and she panicked at the speed and nearly fell over.

Complete and utter joke.

A better example would be to say sales people who get bonuses depending on what they well. There's a minimum that everyone gets, but if you bring in more sales you get paid more.
But I really do feel a lot of that is because women aren't encouraged to get into sports - hence things like snooker and darts have no women - and in time they could improve if only the money was there.

No I was just giving my opinion on what I would like to see. I have clearly stated already that I was only talking about within the same job and same employer...

Darts does have women, no offense but you clearly don't follow these sports (not that darts is really a sport). It has a significant women's game and has had women play in the men's game. Tennis is the one sport where the women are given equal money (for less work), close to equal publicity, and similar respect, yet the games still have a huge quality gulf. Stop comparing them, they will never be the same, just enjoy two different but enjoyable sports.

So job performance should be irrelevant? If we both did, say, data entry for the same company, but you were twice as quick as me, and had to work longer hours, you would say it would be sexist for you to earn more money than me?
Reply 59
Maybe women are just less competitive. The same could be said for poker but look at Victoria Coren.

How much do you know about poker? I know a thing or two. Tournaments are incredibly dependent on luck, good players call them donkaments (''donk'' being what pro poker players call their ''amateur victims''). They are mainly done to get the ''masses'' interested in the game. She is sponsored by the largest poker site in the world so her buy in is paid by them, women in poker get automatic sponsorships if they have any exposure whatsoever, looks don't even matter (more ''equality'' at work). To win a tournament with hundreds of players in it is almost like winning the lottery. The real skill in poker is in cash games, especially deep stack ones. She would be quartered if she ever sat at any cash table vs half-decent players. And yes, as you've guessed, 100% of the online top cash players are men. Not 98, not 99.

http://www.highstakesdb.com/poker-players.aspx?sortby=winners
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending