The Student Room Group

k.e. and mc^2 question

Hi, can somebody please explain to me how to do parts i and ii of this question?

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.50.06.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.50.13.png

Thanks a lot !
Reply 1
Read off values from your graph and subtract them for the relevant velocities. You should get positive answers as it says extra energy.

For ii) what form does the extra energy take?
Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
Read off values from your graph and subtract them for the relevant velocities. You should get positive answers as it says extra energy.

For ii) what form does the extra energy take?

Read what values and subtract them from what?

thanks !
Reply 3
The graph is imo a little irritating as I wold prefer the axes to be turned around. The table gives a velocity, so read across and find the predicted energy from the equation (dotted line) and the actual energy (curved line). Then subtract them and make sure you get a positive result. Do that for each missing value in the table.

EDIT: your Y axis is v2v^2 btw, so you want to use the value from that column, not the vv one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lerjj
The graph is imo a little irritating as I wold prefer the axes to be turned around. The table gives a velocity, so read across and find the predicted energy from the equation (dotted line) and the actual energy (curved line). Then subtract them and make sure you get a positive result. Do that for each missing value in the table.

EDIT: your Y axis is v2v^2 btw, so you want to use the value from that column, not the vv one.

lifesaver x
Reply 5
np... anything to distact me from actual revision :-(
Reply 6
Original post by lerjj

Can you explain the second part as well? Thanks !
Reply 7
Original post by Bella_R95
Can you explain the second part as well? Thanks !

You've calculated an amount of "extra" energy that the particles have. You've been told to find the increase in their mass due to relativistic effects.

What (very famous) equation link energy and mass?

Quick Reply

Latest