The Student Room Group

Getting a MC/City firm TC with average GCSES and A Levels?

My story is that I have average GCSEs and A Level grades, apart from Distinction* in Applied Law, I undertook the BSc (Hons) in Medical Sciences from a non RG Uni and got a 2:2 with MCs.

I am looking to pursue a career as a corporate/commercial solicitor, and undergo the PGDL Law conversion course at BPP then followed by the LLM SQE 1&2.

Can high grades/scores in my PGDL, LLM and SQE 1&2 compensate for my average academic record in securing a TC at an MC firm or any top-paying law firm in the country?

What are my chances of making it big as a corporate/commercial lawyer with what's been mentioned above?

All responses are appreciated.
(edited 8 months ago)
Short answer is no. You’ll find the same answer in countless other threads on this site too. Your university grade is quite poor, and unless you’ve got some really good reasons as to why that is, you won’t really stand a chance in the top end of city law firms.

To put it into context, everyone I’ve come across in the field has gotten at least a decent 2:1, usually from a RG uni but not always. I’ve not come across anyone with a 2:2 in a big city law firm - that’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but there are just too many people who have 2:1s and 1sts for firms to lower their standards.

Your LLM/SQE grades don’t actually matter much at all. When it comes to reviewing academics, firms will first look at your undergraduate grade, placing the most importance on that. No matter what you get in your LLM, you can’t hide that 2:2.

I understand this comes across as quite frank, but it’ll save you a lot of time spent and disappointment down the line. You could still try, and I’m sure there are a tiny handful of people who get through, but it won’t be an easy fight and chances are it won’t pay off. You’ll likely have better luck outside of big city law. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by sublime-baths
Short answer is no. You’ll find the same answer in countless other threads on this site too. Your university grade is quite poor, and unless you’ve got some really good reasons as to why that is, you won’t really stand a chance in the top end of city law firms.

To put it into context, everyone I’ve come across in the field has gotten at least a decent 2:1, usually from a RG uni but not always. I’ve not come across anyone with a 2:2 in a big city law firm - that’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but there are just too many people who have 2:1s and 1sts for firms to lower their standards.

Your LLM/SQE grades don’t actually matter much at all. When it comes to reviewing academics, firms will first look at your undergraduate grade, placing the most importance on that. No matter what you get in your LLM, you can’t hide that 2:2.

I understand this comes across as quite frank, but it’ll save you a lot of time spent and disappointment down the line. You could still try, and I’m sure there are a tiny handful of people who get through, but it won’t be an easy fight and chances are it won’t pay off. You’ll likely have better luck outside of big city law. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. Would it still be worth it to go down the lawyer route? Not just in hopes of getting a TC, but making it overall in the industry? Even without working in a USA/MC? Can experience in lower firms first get me into the limelight of the city firms?

I do realise it’s quite ahead in the future. But I am only asking due to having a medicine offer as well. So far it seems to me 5/10 years PQE for doctors is much better paid than Corporate/Commercial solicitors that are outside of the big firms.

Naturally, I’d love to give it a big fight and climb my way up, but I don’t want to regret not taking up the medicine offer.
Original post by Suli.11
Thank you for your reply. Would it still be worth it to go down the lawyer route? Not just in hopes of getting a TC, but making it overall in the industry? Even without working in a USA/MC? Can experience in lower firms first get me into the limelight of the city firms?

I do realise it’s quite ahead in the future. But I am only asking due to having a medicine offer as well. So far it seems to me 5/10 years PQE for doctors is much better paid than Corporate/Commercial solicitors that are outside of the big firms.

Naturally, I’d love to give it a big fight and climb my way up, but I don’t want to regret not taking up the medicine offer.

That’s not a decision I can make for you. I’ve told you the pros and cons, but beyond that it’s down to you. You certainly can work your way up to big law, but it’s not easy and requires a lot of luck too - there would need to be openings, favourable market, etc. There’s still the issue of you needing to be in a similar field - you won’t work your way up to big law by working at a high street family law practice, for example. You still need to break into commercial law, and that’s where you’ll struggle.

I would strong advise against making decisions based on pay. I’ve spoken about this at great length already but the environment in big city law firms naturally lead to a high attrition/burnout rate. What good is a 6 figure salary if you only stay for a couple years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending