The Student Room Group

Should Heathrow airport have a third runway? Or other options?

As the title says, do you think Heathrow should be allowed to expand to have a thrid runway? Or one of the following proposals and why:

Airport expansion ideas:

Third runway at Heathrow
Second runway at Gatwick
Second runway at Stansted
Second runway at Luton
Expand Northolt to have short haul flights
Develop Manston airport
Build a new airport in the Thames estuary
Close London city altogether

Personally, i think the only way forward is to expand Heathrow as it has already had a large amount of investement and is a large global hub for air travel.
Reply 1
More runways more better.

Should buy us enough time to build Boris' super-airport in the Thames.
Reply 2
I agree more runways the better. There are many problems to Boris' idea however. It would cost billions in taxpayers money and would take at least a decade to build, by which time much of the competition will be lost to other airports such as Dubai, Amsterdam, Abu Dhabi etc. Not to mention the rising sea levels which could flood the new island, and the world war 2 ship in the estuary packed full of explosives which is almost impossible to move.
Reply 3
Not in favour of Boris's super Island or whatever it is. Heathrow should have another runway.
Reply 4
Couldn't agree more. I like Boris Johnson most of his ideas are good, but that one is just so unrealistic and rediculous.
I think the Isle of Grain airport idea is actually quite good; it looks rather cool, it would not cause further aircraft noise for Londoners, and would allow us to claw back some of the market share as a regional hub.

article-2056504-0EA4CCB300000578-702_634x360.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by MostUncivilised
I think the Isle of Grain airport idea is actually quite good; it looks rather cool, it would not cause further aircraft noise for Londoners, and would allow us to claw back some of the market share as a regional hub.

article-2056504-0EA4CCB300000578-702_634x360.jpg

The real question is: Would those advantages outweigh the loss of more than 800,000 jobs?
Original post by Gondur
The real question is: Would those advantages outweigh the loss of more than 800,000 jobs?

How would it cause 800,000 job losses? That sounds like a figure pulled out of the air by some lobbyist, here is no project that can move the job market at those levels.
Reply 8
How would it cause 800,000 job losses? That sounds like a figure pulled out of the air by some lobbyist, here is no project that can move the job market at those levels.

Indeed a sensationalised figure! The daily mail quotes: 'But Heathrow bosses say shutting down their airport would cost almost 80,000 jobs, the biggest cull since Britain's coal mine closures during the 1980s.'

But do we take the daily mail seriously?
Original post by Gondur
Indeed a sensationalised figure! The daily mail quotes: 'But Heathrow bosses say shutting down their airport would cost almost 80,000 jobs, the biggest cull since Britain's coal mine closures during the 1980s.'

But do we take the daily mail seriously?

We would obviously lose jobs at Heathrow, but the new airport would need the same number (and probably more) workers.

It would also cause a large boost to the economy of outer West London as the land the airport used to be on is redeveloped (possibly even as a mix of high technology businesses and much-needed housing), while the new airport would not take away from such land as it would be built on reclaimed land at the Isle of Grain (the new proposal is not for an island in the centre of the estuary anymore, but attached to the south bank of the estuary).

They would be able to build four runways, so it would future-proof our air capacity.
Reply 10
What about rising sea levels though? The airport could become submerged within a couple of decades leaving us with no large airport in the South east. Also, the catchment area for passengers would not be as high as Heathrow.
Reply 11
We would obviously lose jobs at Heathrow, but the new airport would need the same number (and probably more) workers.

It would also cause a large boost to the economy of outer West London as the land the airport used to be on is redeveloped (possibly even as a mix of high technology businesses and much-needed housing), while the new airport would not take away from such land as it would be built on reclaimed land at the Isle of Grain (the new proposal is not for an island in the centre of the estuary anymore, but attached to the south bank of the estuary).

They would be able to build four runways, so it would future-proof our air capacity.

I am in favour for its development simply because an entirely new Heathrow suburb would replace the Heathrow site on which 100,000 new homes could be built alongside pre-existing Train and Tube links. I might end up buying a house there in the future. Of course, as with any new development of this magnitude, there will be both advantages and disadvantages, some of which you highlight already. The Isle of Grain is 3 times more prone to fog than Heathrow, according to the met office and there is an increased chance of bird strikes alongside the Thames estuary but these are risks present at other international airports. I really do like some of the envisaged airport designs, especially the one of the main concourse as it gives off an 'environmental friendly' futuristic vibe with lots of trees inside the main airport terminal that is covered by a vast white canopy. But these are only designs and will of course change should Boris's proposal be accepted
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
A large perecntage of Heathrows passengers comprises of O&D passengers, so by relocating to the said area would cause a lot of these passengers to go elsewhere as the catchment area is much smaller.
Reply 13
Original post by miketypz
What about rising sea levels though? The airport could become submerged within a couple of decades leaving us with no large airport in the South east. Also, the catchment area for passengers would not be as high as Heathrow.

Why do you think the passenger catchment area will be smaller?
Reply 14
Heathrow is surrounded by land, whereas the new aiport would only be to the west. Heathrow attracts many O&D passengers from Western and Midlands areas, but if the airport is relocated to the other side of London in the estuary, many won't want to travel the extra distance and will go elsewhere (Manchester, Birmingham etc.)
Reply 15
I think a third runway at Heathrow is the best option. Heathrow is a global hub and I think we should expand upon it. Personally, I live near Heathrow and the current noise level doesn't bother me too much. But then again, I've lived near airports for the last 7 years of my life so I've gotten used to the noise.
Reply 16
I live in Essex right under the flight paths of heathrow (arrival/holding area), Luton/Stansted departures (7000 feet) and London city departures (3-4 thousand feet) and can honestly say the noise does not bother me at all. I've stayed in airport hotels and there is virtually no noise, so i dont see why everyone is complaining about noise as the people who are living nearby can do the same that the hotels do to block the noise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending