The Student Room Group

Rural school deemed 'too white' by Ofsted visits London to mix with ethnic pupils

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651108/Rural-school-deemed-white-Ofsted-visits-London-mix-ethnic-pupils.html

I think what saddens me most is this quote

...they’re quite excited to meet other children from a different part of England. It’s good for them to learn about other cultures.

How does living in a different part of England make them have a different culture (and that culture as well)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
‘We are fairly mono-cultural as an area in Devon and we don’t want children growing up thinking the whole world is full of trees and cows."

What is the world coming to?
:facepalm:

Reply 2
The top comments are quite funny, as always :giggle:

How racist, you wouldn't hear a school being told to "have more white people."
Original post by Snagprophet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651108/Rural-school-deemed-white-Ofsted-visits-London-mix-ethnic-pupils.html

I think what saddens me most is this quote

How does living in a different part of England make them have a different culture (and that culture as well)?

It does. The culture in London, say, is vastly different than in rural Yorkshire.
Reply 5
And what is wrong with that?
Utterly ridiculous. Britain is for British culture, and how can there be a thing as "too white"? :lolwut:
Original post by Maid Marian
Utterly ridiculous. Britain is for British culture, and how can there be a thing as "too white"? :lolwut:

There is definitely such a thing as too white in my experience, like people who get to uni and think everyone from India 'stinks of curry' as my flatmate did...
Original post by redferry
There is definitely such a thing as too white in my experience, like people who get to uni and think everyone from India 'stinks of curry' as my flatmate did...

Disagree. People like that are just ignorant - it's not that they're white that's the problem.
Disagree. People like that are just ignorant - it's not that they're white that's the problem.

Their school was too white as it gave them no experience of other cultures.

My grans too white, she refuses to eat anything other than British and occasionally Italian food :\ worst bit is she was a social worker in Birmingham her whole life, has friends from different cultures and has always worked with different cultures. Its always 'but that's different' before saying something totally ignorant. So awkward.
Britain wants to be fair for everybody but it always backfires :rolleyes:
Their school was too white as it gave them no experience of other cultures.

My grans too white, she refuses to eat anything other than British and occasionally Italian food :\ worst bit is she was a social worker in Birmingham her whole life, has friends from different cultures and has always worked with different cultures. Its always 'but that's different' before saying something totally ignorant. So awkward.

Nah.

You'd probably say I'm too white. I've never eaten any 'foreign' food. People like to stay with what they know and feel comfortable with. You can't force people to involve themselves in different cultures if they don't want to.

**** like this is what happens when you live on TSR maid marian
So many racists in the comments :frown:
Nah.

You'd probably say I'm too white. I've never eaten any 'foreign' food. People like to stay with what they know and feel comfortable with. You can't force people to involve themselves in different cultures if they don't want to.

In my opinion that makes them pretty boring.

If someone was unwilling to ever try new things I have to say I wouldn't be their friend for long.

To be honest, from walking through Primark you'd get that impression.

Are you saying that a congregation of white folk breeds racism or is this inclusive of all races?
Original post by Mockery
To be honest, from walking through Primark you'd get that impression.

Are you saying that a congregation of white folk breeds racism or is this inclusive of all races?

Yeah but then you'd also get the impression all white people stink of booze and sweat... This is Primark were talking about here.

No all races really. Its good to get out a bit. I also think it's more understandable in all white areas like Devon, although efforts like this are good, but the two examples I gave were a bloke from London and my gran from Birmingham. I mean seriously in those cases you have to be putting in EFFORT to avoid other cultures...
Original post by Little Boots
**** like this is what happens when you live on TSR maid marian

Whatcha mean?
In my opinion that makes them pretty boring.

If someone was unwilling to ever try new things I have to say I wouldn't be their friend for long.

In your opinion. And not everyone is destined to be friends :lol:

People are different, that's all. I don't really care about other cultures, have no interest in going off to visit other countries, really. I'm happy enough with my own culture and traditions. :dontknow:
Yeah but then you'd also get the impression all white people stink of booze and sweat... This is Primark were talking about here.

No all races really. Its good to get out a bit. I also think it's more understandable in all white areas like Devon, although efforts like this are good, but the two examples I gave were a bloke from London and my gran from Birmingham. I mean seriously in those cases you have to be putting in EFFORT to avoid other cultures...

I'm inclined to agree, but would you say that casual sterotyping as a result of unfamiliarity is explicit racism?

And what about areas exlusively comprised of ethnic minorities; do you propose the fragmentation and dissolution of these into the wider community?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending