Why should we respect the elderly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thelegendkiller1
It is the approach that has always worked well for me. :smile:

Maybe not so good for others.
Original post by Marco1
Maybe not so good for others.

Why should a person who is delibrately disrespectful feel they can get away with it? There comes a time when everyone no matter what age, gender, ethnicity, religion so on must account for their actions. When the elderly are disrespectful, they should not escape retribution.
Reply 42
Why should a person who is delibrately disrespectful feel they can get away with it? There comes a time when everyone no matter what age, gender, ethnicity, religion so on must account for their actions. When the elderly are disrespectful, they should not escape retribution.

You have changed your argument from why be respectful of the elderly to why be respectful to someone who is deliberately disrespectful to you?
You need to do research. It is moral to be racist as many of the baby boomers are far more than the young people today? Most of the elderly are no more moral than anyone else.

And you just proved what I wrote earlier. :rollseyes:
Well African tradition it is expected that you must respect elders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I'm concerned, everyone I meet receives a base-line of respect, regardless of who they are. Their behaviour dictates what happens to that respect from then on. It's pretty simple, and fair.
Original post by Kruz
Well African tradition it is expected that you must respect elders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes because Africa is surely the best way to go. I mean they are sure a moral society, it is not as if they have endemic corruption or such is it?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
As far as I'm concerned, everyone I meet receives a base-line of respect, regardless of who they are. Their behaviour dictates what happens to that respect from then on. It's pretty simple, and fair.

Yes, that is my point. If an elderly person is rude, they should not be treated in a lenient manner, that is the point.
Yes, that is my point. If an elderly person is rude, they should not be treated in a lenient manner, that is the point.

I know it was, I was agreeing :biggrin: some people on here appear to be a bit confused...
Original post by Marco1
You have changed your argument from why be respectful of the elderly to why be respectful to someone who is deliberately disrespectful to you?

No, that was my point all along. I want to know why elderly people deserve a special respect? Why should they not be judged on their actions like everyone else.
Yes because Africa is surely the best way to go. I mean they are sure a moral society, it is not as if they have endemic corruption or such is it?

Lol yes I'll admit Africa has it's problems with corruption all that. But let's not pretend Corrupt doesn't happen here as well, it's just more hidden.
Original post by Kruz
Lol yes I'll admit Africa has it's problems with corruption all that. But let's not pretend Corrupt doesn't happen here as well, it's just more hidden.

I do not doubt it is. Corruption definitely occurs in Britain and the West generally but it is perhaps in a more cruder overt form in Africa and the rest of the developing world.
Reply 52
No, that was my point all along. I want to know why elderly people deserve a special respect? Why should they not be judged on their actions like everyone else.

Well, I gave my explanation but when you introduce a phrase like 'if they were deliberately disrespectful to you,' it changes things. What do you mean by an elderly person being disrespectful? Can you give an example of a situation please?

If people disrespect you for no valid reason then that would be unfair. That said though, it would be foolish to respond to poor behaviour with an eye for an eye policy. It's the 21st Century right. Why let others make you behave like them? You can be drawn into a conflict or handle it with tactful self restraint. Depends on the situation really.
Respected is earned so if they're cheeky or horrible to me then I will be back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
As time goes on less and less of the elderly are those who nobly fought in WW1 and WW2. Instead the elderly more and more become the baby boomer generation who consumed tirelessly all the advantages of the welfare state. Free university etc etc. Why should these elderly be respected, far from making any sacrifices, they have had a very comfortable existence, they then have the hubris to complain on things such as the Daily Mail that the younger generation are bad, when it was their generation that is responsible arguably for many of the present problems within society . I am not saying that the elderly should be disrespected just that I see no particular reason as to why they warrant a reverence?

Your default position should be to respect people irrespective of age, sex, sexual preference, race, ethnicity, religion etc etc. It's an approach that will make your life a lot less stressful, because hating or disrespecting people for any of these things and many others is exhausting and pointless.

However, if you then find out that someone is a selfish, money grabbing scumbag whose life plan was to buy up shoddy properties to rent out at exorbitant rents, who only ever voted for political parties in their own self interest, who took everything they could from the state and then supported their abolition when they no longer required it, who complains about Britain's membership of the EU because they no longer need to work and don't care about those who do, who themselves hate those from other countries and who now intends to retire at the relatively young age of 65 to go on three foreign holidays a year whilst receiving a winter fuel allowance they don't need at the expense of young families who could really do with not paying so much tax then, well.... I guess you can choose whether you want to carry on respecting them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending