The Student Room Group

Why aren't murder ''jokes'' as bad or worse than rape ones?

We trivialize murder in comments here and there every single day. ''I'm gonna kill this or that'', ''my mum's gonna kill me'', ''my wife's gonna kill me if she finds out'' etc.

Imagine some thick ''celeb'' twitting these 2 comments:

'' The England team got murdered tonight'' = not a single eye would bat.
'' The England team got raped tonight'' = entire internet and media blow up.

So do we live in a murder culture? Do we see murder as acceptable ? Do we encourage it by trivializing it all the time? Since murder jokes or references are completely ignored while anything rape related raises all hell.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's all part of the murder culture we have going on at the moment.
Rape is a crime in which the victims continue to suffer through shame and humiliation long after the assault occurs. The added stigma towards rape jokes, is a result of a "social conscience", which seeks to discourage any behavior that potentially contributes to that enduring humiliation and shame.

Murder victims require no such protection.
Reply 3
It's this damned murder culture that masculinists are perpetuating

Those pesky masculinists.
There is nothing wrong with either. Good point, though.
A similar hypocrisy is in video games, where murder/killing is commonplace, especially that of your own character. However rape is very infrequent, and should there ever be a mechanic or scenario where your character could get raped, that would be insanely controversial

Personally I think it's because rape is a drawn-out period of helplessness, whereas death is quick and clean, relatively speaking. Sometimes you get very gory deaths in films or games, but they're in the minority
Reply 6
Original post by ckingalt
Rape is a crime in which the victims continue to suffer through shame and humiliation long after the assault occurs. The added stigma towards rape jokes, is a result of a "social conscience", which seeks to discourage any behavior that potentially contributes to that enduring humiliation and shame.

Murder victims require no such protection.

But their families or survivors of murder attempts do. Can you crack a joke about getting shot to someone who survived a gunshot wounds? Or to a family who lost a member to it?

No, this is because rape is associated with female victims. How many times have you heard the ''don't drop the soap joke'' in real life or movies? Countless times. It's the most famous rape joke there is. Why? Because it involves men. Can you imagine a joke about women's rape being used that way in the media? ****, no. The same reason violence against women is a deadly sin while the reverse is a joke or at best ignored. The same reason insults related to female behaviour or genitalia (bitch, ****, ****) are seen as much worse and more censored than those related to males (pig, dick, neanderthal etc). The same reason women's cancers get almost all the attention and the funding while men's are largely ignored. The same reason FGM is illegal and MGM is totally fine. The same reason women have housing priority, 100 times more shelters and charities and so on and on and on and on..............................

And no, feminists, it's not because women are seen as weak and in need of protection like they are children, it's because they are worshiped by society . Gestures like opening doors are not done because the woman is too frail to do it on her own, it's too show her that she's in superior position and she need not bother with insignificant issues. Same way the driver opens the door for a state leader or a billionaire.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Architecture-er
A similar hypocrisy is in video games, where murder/killing is commonplace, especially that of your own character. However rape is very infrequent, and should there ever be a mechanic or scenario where your character could get raped, that would be insanely controversial

Personally I think it's because rape is a drawn-out period of helplessness, whereas death is quick and clean, relatively speaking. Sometimes you get very gory deaths in films or games, but they're in the minority

It would only be controversial if a woman was raped. Same with the murders in games like GTA. Feminists were outraged that you could kill women in it ignoring that all the kill missions are about killing men and at the same time you can kill any guy on the streets as well. If anything, males are much more likely to be the victim of violence just like in real life. If the game is mis-anything it's misanthrope, not misogynist. But as usual, they find it impossible to remove their feminist blinkers.
Original post by Den Haag
But their families or survivors of murder attempts do. Can you crack a joke about getting shot to someone who survived a gunshot wounds? Or to a family who lost a member to it?

No, this is because rape is associated with female victims. How many times have you heard the ''don't drop the soap joke'' in real life or movies? Countless times. It's the most famous rape joke there is. Why? Because it involves men. Can you imagine a joke about women's rape being used that way in the media? ****, no. The same reason violence against women is a deadly sin while the reverse is a joke or at best ignored. The same reason insults related to female behaviour or genitalia (bitch, ****, ****) are seen as much worse and more censored than those related to males (pig, dick, neanderthal etc). The same reason women's cancers get almost all the attention and the funding while men's are largely ignored. The same reason FGM is illegal and MGM is totally fine. The same reason women have housing priority, 100 times more shelters and charities and so on and on and on and on..............................

And no, feminists, it's not because women are seen as weak and in need of protection like they are children, it's because they are worshiped by society . Gestures like opening doors are not done because the woman is too frail to do it on her own, it's too show her that she's in superior position and she need not bother with insignificant issues. Same way the driver opens the door for a state leader or a billionaire.

Nope, it's because it involves prisoners. People think they deserve it because they're prisoners, not because they're men.
Reply 9
Murder, generally, is more palatable to us than rape. We can see this for example in the controversy over Game of Thrones - people are very sensitive about the portrayal of rape, nevermind all the murder, which is otherwise considered the graver crime.

It reminds me of the criticisms of Tomb Raider II back in the day. Animal rights organisations didn't like Lara killing bengal tigers. At least you know the tigers are going to be dangerous - killing everyone you see without knowing who they are gets a pass, however.
"Rape is a crime in which the victims continue to suffer through shame and humiliation long after the assault occurs. The added stigma towards rape jokes, is a result of a "social conscience", which seeks to discourage any behavior that potentially contributes to that enduring humiliation and shame.

Murder victims require no such protection. "

Tell that to the family of the murder victim.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lontttt530
"Rape is a crime in which the victims continue to suffer through shame and humiliation long after the assault occurs. The added stigma towards rape jokes, is a result of a "social conscience", which seeks to discourage any behavior that potentially contributes to that enduring humiliation and shame.

Murder victims require no such protection. "

Tell that to the family of the murder victim you fool.

Just remember that, yes the family has to deal with it, but families also have to deal with the rape of the victim as well.

Essentially, a murdered person isn't suffering and thinking about the fact they are murdered, are they? Whereas, the rape victim has to live with that shame and humiliation for the rest of their lives.

Both are bad but I think because of games and TV shows sort of glamourising murder it's not really seen as a big thing because -
you killed someone, that's it they don't think anything more of that.

But no one knows the suffering but the person themselves and that can be hard.
Original post by miser
Murder, generally, is more palatable to us than rape. We can see this for example in the controversy over Game of Thrones - people are very sensitive about the portrayal of rape, nevermind all the murder, which is otherwise considered the graver crime.

It reminds me of the criticisms of Tomb Raider II back in the day. Animal rights organisations didn't like Lara killing bengal tigers. At least you know the tigers are going to be dangerous - killing everyone you see without knowing who they are gets a pass, however.

pretty much this^ PRSOM
Reply 13
Original post by ArtGoblin
Nope, it's because it involves prisoners. People think they deserve it because they're prisoners, not because they're men.

I've heard the joke in contexts where the men were innocent or in prison for something completely trivial, we're not always talking about ''monsters'' here. I've also heard it in contexts where it was other showers and not prison ones. The rape scene in ''Deliverance'' is seen as the funniest ****, I've even seen women joke about it on TSR. Can you imagine society seeing a scene where a woman gets rapes as funny in any circumstances? NO. Not to mention no way any similar joke, even related to prisoners, would be so lightly taken if said prisoners were female (not that there are many since women are much more likely to not be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence, receive a much shorter sentence and be released earlier than men for the exact same crime). Same way an entire national TV show panel and its female audience can laugh at a man having his genitals chopped off by a woman while even a hint of the opposite would guarantee the firing of the male hosts and probably the end of the show.

To understand how little both men and women care about young boys and men being raped I invite you to read my other thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've heard the joke in contexts where the men were innocent or in prison for something completely trivial, we're not always talking about monsters ''here''. I've also heard it in contexts where it was other showers and not prison ones. Not to mention no way any similar joke, even related to prisoners, would be so lightly taken is said prisoners were female (not that there are many since women are much more likely to not be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence, receive a much shorter sentence and be released earlier than men for the exact same crime). Same way an entire national TV show panel and its female audience can laugh at a man having his genitals chopped off by a woman while even a hint of the opposite would guarantee the firing of the male hosts and probably the end of the show.

To understand how little both men and women care about young boys and men being raped I invite you to read my other thread.

You are right but in this political correct world, you are only a victim if you are female. Thank feminism and BBC for this.
They are both jokes, the problem is people taking offence from either of them, not why some people take offence one over the other.
That's because murder is trivialized by society as a whole. It's everywhere in the media, video games, tv shows etc people are always portraying people getting killed on TV so in a way we are sort of used to it as a trivial subject, that doesn't mean people condone murder, it just means people are more likely to joke about it since its treated less seriously by the media, real-life murder definitely isn't, people aren't going to start joking about the sandy hook shootings (if they do they are sick) or joke about genocides or any murder victims. Rape has never been trivialised by the media, if a show approaches the subject of rape they usually approach it very sensitively just because the public aren't that exposed to it (through other forms of media) it isn't treated as a trivial subject because theres a problem that some may watch a less serious portrayal of rape and actually think that rape is okay. While there are some people that also think that murder is okay from watching people kill each other on TV, I think because so many people think rape is okay in 'certain circumstances' portraying rape as trivial can have more dangerous consequences in my eyes than portraying murder as trivial.

It's not about people treating female crime victims more sensitively than male crime victims, male rape is also treated very carefully in the media too e.g the kite runner where its a major plot point in the story, while people might make jokes about dropping soap in prison it's more likely because they feel less inclined to be sensitive to prisoners specially prisoners who have murdered people etc I'm pretty sure if the media portrayed a prisoner who people sympathised with (e.g wrongly convicted or committed a less serious crime) being raped in prison comically, there would be a outcry. People joke about it because they don't necessarily like criminals and are less inclined to be sensitive to them basically.

Men are always going to get the brunt end of rape. Regardless of if the victim is male or female, the perpetrator is basically always a man. Men get raped by men, women get raped by men.
I've heard the joke in contexts where the men were innocent or in prison for something completely trivial, we're not always talking about ''monsters'' here. I've also heard it in contexts where it was other showers and not prison ones. The rape scene in ''Deliverance'' is seen as the funniest ****, I've even seen women joke about it on TSR. Can you imagine society seeing a scene where a woman gets rapes as funny in any circumstances? NO. Not to mention no way any similar joke, even related to prisoners, would be so lightly taken if said prisoners were female (not that there are many since women are much more likely to not be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence, receive a much shorter sentence and be released earlier than men for the exact same crime). Same way an entire national TV show panel and its female audience can laugh at a man having his genitals chopped off by a woman while even a hint of the opposite would guarantee the firing of the male hosts and probably the end of the show.

How would a female even get raped in prison, unless it was a prison guard I can't see how another female could rape another female.
Original post by Rlove95
I can't see how another female could rape another female.

Probably not rape per se, but I'm guessing sexual abuse in female prisons still happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending