The Student Room Group

If a black/white man was born in China would they be Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

well ye it would just be awkward in conversations when people say 'but you're black/white'

It's the same for me if I say I'm from UK. People expect me to elaborate and say where my parents were from or whatever lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ChickenMadness
well ye it would just be awkward in conversations when people say 'but you're black/white'

It's the same for me if I say I'm from UK. People expect me to elaborate and say where my parents were from or whatever lol.

same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah
Reply 4
I think OP is asking whether a black or white person would physically look chinese if they were born in china
I guessing they would be either Anglo-Chinese or Afro-Chinese or something like that.
Culturally? Very likely. Nationality wise? Yes. Ethnically? No.
According to citizenship he would be a Chinese national, Chinese passport and whatever unless they have a dual nationality, which is hard to get if you're in China.

Ethnically speaking they would not be of Chinese roots but white/black roots.
Reply 8
Original post by Ana81
same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you're just unnecessarily being a dick to people trying to show an interest in you...
Yup he is Chinese :yep:

But if you are asking whether he will LOOK Chinese then no
Sorry to disappoint
No. China doesn't give passports to foreigners.

It's absurd to ever think a European or African can ever be considered Chinese.
Original post by Ana81

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is brilliant :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by JC.
Sounds like you're just unnecessarily being a dick to people trying to show an interest in you...

I do agree with this. It's just a conversational point usually.

But people have asked me in the past just so they can come up with more accurate racist insults lel. (in highschool).
Original post by imtelling
No. China doesn't give passports to foreigners.

It's absurd to ever think a European or African can ever be considered Chinese.

lol if you're born in china you get a chinese passport.
lol if you're born in china you get a chinese passport.

No, you don't.

That sort of absurdity only happens in western nations.
From what I understand, there are 53 officially recognized ethnic groups in mainland China. The Han Chinese constitute an overwhelming majority of the population and are apparently natives to the land.

So, I guess a black or white man emigrating to China would only be a Chinese national, not ethnically Chinese.

I know little about China so apologies if I'm wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by imtelling
No, you don't.

That sort of absurdity only happens in western nations.

lol you do.

Why would people ask you that? :lol: you look white enough :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by JC.

Yes because walking up to someone asking where they're from like they're some kind of alien would make anyone feel special, only someone who hasn't experienced it on a regular basis would see it as people taking an interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending