The Student Room Group

If a black/white man was born in China would they be Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ana81
same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not true. We all have an alien origin. Matters come to Earth, Earth didn't just invent them.
Reply 21
Original post by Ana81
Yes because walking up to someone asking where they're from like they're some kind of alien would make anyone feel special, only someone who hasn't experienced it on a regular basis would see it as people taking an interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've had the same question posed to me when I've been abroad....
Didn't feel the need to be rude.
Would being born in space make you an alien?
Original post by imtelling
No, you don't.

That sort of absurdity only happens in western nations.

How is it absurd for a country to give passports to those who were born in it regardless of their ethnic origin? It actually makes sense.
China does not give passports/citizenship to those simply born in China. One of the parents has to be Chinese.
Original post by imtelling
No, you don't.

That sort of absurdity only happens in western nations.

Can you just calm the hell down just a little? "aburdity" really?

To answer the question its not as clear cut in China as a yes/no answer.

Accoridng to the law a person may recieve chinese citzenship through the following ways

1. Persons belonging to any of the nationalities in China;
2. Any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national;
3. Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals, or one parent who is a Chinese national;
4. Any person born in China whose parents are stateless, or of uncertain nationality, and have settled in China.

Those born from a mixed marriage are considered to be nationals of China if born in China and one is a current Chinese national.

So generally speaking if a black or white person married a Chinese had a baby in China it would be considered Chinese. This is
more complicated however as China does not recognise dual nationality a friend of mine is married, living in China for many years and has
a baby with his Chinese wife. The registered the baby as British so technically not considered Chinese but British as the Chinese don't support dual. In Britain the baby would be considered British-Chinese. This causes much confusion but generally these cases are special and complicated.

So yes I know from experience that a white baby born in China to a mixed marriage couple is technically seen as Chinese but also technically not seen as Chinese as the baby is officially British. Very complicated matter and to make things more complicated the baby born and raised in China entierly (2 years) looks completely British nothing Chinese looking about it. Long curly blonde hair, big blue eyes, white white round face.

I live in China.
If I was born in China and grew up there, I very much doubt I would see myself as properly Chinese tbh
Original post by Ana81
same I'm black born and bread in the city I live in but when people ask where I'm from they are expecting me to say where my parents are from which again is England so then they ask where my family originates from to which I reply Earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why be difficult? They're obviously referring to your ethnicity if they keep asking after you've told them your English. Seems very strange to have this attitude towards people who are interested in getting to know you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, that conversation where people ask you where you're from.

"Where are you from?"
"Here (England)."
"No, where are you really from?"
"Well, I was born here and have lived here all of my life."
"Okay. Where are your parents from, then?"

:facepalm2:

I think it mostly depends on where you spent the majority of your time growing up. If you were born in China, but moved elsewhere and lived the majority of your life there, I wouldn't think that the person was Chinese.
I hate ppl using colour to describe their race! Why can't u just say African or European ? Most ethnicities.does this !
Reply 30
Original post by JC.
Well I've had the same question posed to me when I've been abroad....
Didn't feel the need to be rude.

abroad yes but in your native country thats completely different, use your brain.. its basic logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so. I'm black and born in Europe but I always just give my family's country of origin as where I'm from. I don't feel any ties to this place
Reply 32
Original post by alexschmalex
I don't think so. I'm black and born in Europe but I always just give my family's country of origin as where I'm from. I don't feel any ties to this place

Born and raised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaughingBro
I hate ppl using colour to describe their race! Why can't u just say African or European ? Most ethnicities.does this !

Being African or European does not mean you're black or white. You can be African and be white and European and be black. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you've written.
Original post by Ana81
Born and raised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, my parents were born in England and I was born/raised in NL, but I've always felt more African than European so I go with it. This topic is how I explain to people I'm not Dutch, except I use North Korea as an example instead to drive the point home :tongue:
i had a friend who was born in St Kitts. i referred to him as "My West Indian friend" or "My Caribbean friend". he was white.
One of my friends has Hong Kong citizenship but is ethnically Italian-Australian. He considers himself Australian.
nationally they would be chinese. ethnically they wouldn't. like how british asians are nationally british but ethnically asian.
Original post by TheTranshumanist
How is it absurd for a country to give passports to those who were born in it regardless of their ethnic origin? It actually makes sense.

If the Chinese started handing out passports like confetti, like Britain does, they would no doubt see the Chinese people becoming a minority in their own homelands, just like the white British are becoming.

The Chinese are too intelligent for that.
Reply 39
Original post by alexschmalex
Yep, my parents were born in England and I was born/raised in NL, but I've always felt more African than European so I go with it. This topic is how I explain to people I'm not Dutch, except I use North Korea as an example instead to drive the point home :tongue:

I get what you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending