The Student Room Group

Should Abortion be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie786
I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?

I think, baring some very exceptional circumstances, yes.

Abortion kills a baby. It doesn't matter how you try and wrap it up, it does.

I cannot get my head around how a doctor can carry out the procedure? It is ironic that hospitals and trained medical staff are frantically working hard and are completely dedicated to preserve life in one ward and in another part of the same hospital killing a baby.

Nurses tell some terrible tales of witnessing abortions. I think people should know what happens to the baby as it is aborted.

To me life begins at conception. All the ingredients are there for a complete and whole life.

I also think people should read stories of women who have had abortions and regretted it and had to live with the emotional effects of having done so. The stories of those who have been raped and pregnancy has occurred as a result, who have been healed of the horrific event by keeping the baby are worth reading too.

People just need to be more educated about the whole process of having an abortion and also need more education with regard to a baby's development from weeks 1 - 15. I mean just look at what is happening to the baby at week 5 alone, its incredible.....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/5-weeks-pregnant
Original post by SmallTownGirl
But this is exactly how a pregnant woman who doesn't want a child sees it. Because pregnancy can ruin lives and yes, most women don't die in childbirth or through complications with the pregnancy but it's still a risk that's not worth taking if there's no benefit to you.

Clearly you know nothing of pregnancy because it's not an easy nine months - there's physical and emotional consequences which cause a lot of suffering for the woman. Why should she go through that if she doesn't have to?

Who said anything about shagging more people? I was talking about lifestyle, career opportunities etc...

Contraception or a small op to be sterilised if you have made the decision not to have any children.

Abortion should not be used if someone has made a mistake.

If you have sex there will always be a chance that you might get pregnant.

Having a baby shouldn't mean the end of your career or opportunities within that career choice.
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Contraception or a small op to be sterilised if you have made the decision not to have any children.

Abortion should not be used if someone has made a mistake.

If you have sex there will always be a chance that you might get pregnant.

Having a baby shouldn't mean the end of your career or opportunities within that career choice.

Contraception doesn't always work. You can't get sterilised on the NHS until you're I think it's 35 or have 3 children. Or I probably would.

Why shouldn't it?

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you should have to carry that baby to term.

It shouldn't mean the end of your career or career opportunities, but there's no getting around the fact that it might do and it does do.
Original post by brownbearxo
Then don't abort your own child.

Mind your business, what other women choose to do with their body is of no concern to you or the law.

Bad logic that
Original post by minimarshmallow

Why shouldn't it?

Because it is destroying a life due to someone being careless.
But this is exactly how a pregnant woman who doesn't want a child sees it. Because pregnancy can ruin lives and yes, most women don't die in childbirth or through complications with the pregnancy but it's still a risk that's not worth taking if there's no benefit to you.

Clearly you know nothing of pregnancy because it's not an easy nine months - there's physical and emotional consequences which cause a lot of suffering for the woman. Why should she go through that if she doesn't have to?

Who said anything about shagging more people? I was talking about lifestyle, career opportunities etc...

9 months of your life vs an entire life.

Also people can easily avoid it all together by just not having sex if they don't want children.
I think, baring some very exceptional circumstances, yes.

Abortion kills a baby. It doesn't matter how you try and wrap it up, it does.

I cannot get my head around how a doctor can carry out the procedure? It is ironic that hospitals and trained medical staff are frantically working hard and are completely dedicated to preserve life in one ward and in another part of the same hospital killing a baby.

Nurses tell some terrible tales of witnessing abortions. I think people should know what happens to the baby as it is aborted.

To me life begins at conception. All the ingredients are there for a complete and whole life.

I also think people should read stories of women who have had abortions and regretted it and had to live with the emotional effects of having done so. The stories of those who have been raped and pregnancy has occurred as a result, who have been healed of the horrific event by keeping the baby are worth reading too.

People just need to be more educated about the whole process of having an abortion and also need more education with regard to a baby's development from weeks 1 - 15. I mean just look at what is happening to the baby at week 5 alone, its incredible.....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/5-weeks-pregnant

This. People are just uneducated about it. I didn't really have an opinion and was pretty much pro-choice until I had to do a huge project about it at Alevel for EPQ. People need to be taught respect for other human beings in schools tbh.
Because it is destroying a life due to someone being careless.

As is forcing a woman to carry a baby to term and then give up a good chunk of her life to look after it.
No, it shouldn't be made illegal. Morally speaking, making it illegal is taking the parents' right to decide for themselves when they want to have children. Sometimes aborting a four week fetus is easier than carrying a child to term just to give it up for adoption. Not every person believes that life begins at conception. Especially before the three month mark, when so many miscarriages happen, I don't see why abortion would be immoral.

Everyone should be able to choose for themselves whether they want to carry a child to term or not and whether they want to give it up for adoption or not.
Original post by ChickenMadness
This. People are just uneducated about it. I didn't really have an opinion and was pretty much pro-choice until I had to do a huge project about it at Alevel for EPQ. People need to be taught respect for other human beings in schools tbh.

What? Like respecting women's choices over their own bodies?

There are so many people (especially on this forum) who believe feminism isn't necessary but this thread shows exactly how far we have to go - whilst people think they should have control over my womb I need feminism to tell them to **** off.

There are so many people (especially on this forum) who believe feminism isn't necessary but this thread shows exactly how far we have to go - whilst people think they should have control over my womb I need feminism to tell them to **** off.

Your child is not you though. You should respect that they might not want to die. They should have the choice to decide what to do with their own bodies.
Original post by miavdbt
No, it shouldn't be made illegal. Morally speaking, making it illegal is taking the parents' right to decide for themselves when they want to have children. Sometimes aborting a four week fetus is easier than carrying a child to term just to give it up for adoption. Not every person believes that life begins at conception. Especially before the three month mark, when so many miscarriages happen, I don't see why abortion would be immoral.

Everyone should be able to choose for themselves whether they want to carry a child to term or not and whether they want to give it up for adoption or not.

No. If it were illegal you could have a child any time you want. Babies are conceived created during sex. Abortion is not sex lol.

I bet that was a shocker, good for you.

Yeah but you have something living in your womb
No. If it were illegal you could have a child any time you want. Babies are conceived created during sex. Abortion is not sex lol.

Yes, but if abortion were illegal then if an accidental pregnancy happened, the parents would find themselves with a child they did not actually want. Then, they would either have to put it up for adoption (where it might end up growing up in an orphanage as not all children get adopted) or raise a child they might grow to resent.

Preaching abstinence is not realistic for most couples, and accidents happen (though rarely) even when using contraceptive methods.
Your child is not you though. You should respect that they might not want to die. They should have the choice to decide what to do with their own bodies.

While something is in MY body and depending on MY nutrients it is MY right to decide what happens to it. A foetus is not sentient. It has no rights and definitely no right to leech off MY body and MY life.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Yeah but you have something living in your womb

I should ****ing hope I don't. And that something is no different to a tapeworm or a tumour.
Original post by Rosie786

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

It isn't yours or the states body to decide. It's the pregnant womens choice as it is her body. The only moral issue is when/if the fetus becomes developed enough to have it's own rights. There is already to many children in orphanages anyway. Not to mention all the other methods of creating children for couples who couldn't otherwise do so.
Original post by minimarshmallow
As is forcing a woman to carry a baby to term and then give up a good chunk of her life to look after it.

When a woman is pregnant it is meant to be because (call me old fashioned I don't mind) she is happily settled down and married and wants to have a baby, start a family.

No force going on there. An adult and mature decision has been made to have a baby who will be loved, wanted and cared for.

This is the ideal.

Life isn't ideal, I realise that.

What you are saying is a woman has sex and an unwanted baby is conceived. What an inconvenience. An unwanted baby is then aborted because the woman doesn't want it. This isn't looking good is it.
I should ****ing hope I don't. And that something is no different to a tapeworm or a tumour.

Wow you obviously didn't do Biology A Level.

Neither tapeworms or tumours are human offspring.

A tumour is not a living organism.

A tapeworm is an alien body and different species to its host. It has no human DNA and as such your comparison is disgusting.

Do you also compare asylum seekers to plagues of rats that infestate cities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending