The Student Room Group

Feminism = Female Supremacism: Men are the weaker sex.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
The Guardian isn't exactly unknown for spouting [stupid] feminist crap.

feminist "crap" or radical feminist crap? there is a difference.
Original post by victoriajackson
feminist "crap" or radical feminist crap? there is a difference.

There isn't really, it's petty crap vs ridiculous crap. Crap is crap.
There isn't really, it's petty crap vs ridiculous crap. Crap is crap.

No it's not and you're clearly not open to discussion about it.
Plz help, the nasty feminists are saying mean things about me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's not and you're clearly not open to discussion about it.

Well then, if feminism has any real issues left to deal with in the Uk, tell me about them, it's not like the society forum is fairly regularly reloaded with a thread trying to demonstrate the relevance of modern feminism.
Original post by maskofsanity
I don't think you've read The Guardian before.

Yeah I have actually...
Well then, if feminism has any real issues left to deal with in the Uk, tell me about them, it's not like the society forum is fairly regularly reloaded with a thread trying to demonstrate the relevance of modern feminism.

There is a lot that is left to deal with they may not seem as important as the issues that need tackling in other countries such as malala yousafzai being shot in the head because her culture doesn't think women have the same rights to education as boys but there are still a lot of sexist constructs and attitudes in society. I'm not going to tell you to read the everyday sexism project because for some of the cases yeah I do agree that it's less sexism more over sensitivity/ that guy was a douche but there is a lack of respect for women still in society.

When I was growing up all I was bombarded with was messages that the only thing I was good for was to look good, get married and have a man look after me, that my role was a caring role and I should be focusing on domestic things, intelligence isn't attractive yeah don't be a stupid bimbo but don't be more intelligent/stronger/better at anything than a man because he'll be put off and you'll die a lonely old spinster. Dress a certain way, act a certain way the pressure for women is absolutely enormous women can't win and it needs to stop. Men are not put under as much scrutiny you only have to read articles on fairly incredible women and the main things that are mentioned is how they look and it needs to stop don't get me wrong I think it's becoming more common for men to be objectified and be reduced down to how good their abs are but I don't agree with that either.

There are certain things women are still not able to do like fighting on the front line, if women can pass the physical tests they should be allowed.
I don't agree with the whole gender-pay gap thing because women are less likely go into higher paid careers but I think the REASONING behind why needs to be addressed some don't because they're simply not interested in those sorts of careers but for others I know it was through fear of social rejection and I think women are as much to blame as men. However why are men being paid more for the same role and same job requirements as a woman and it does happen a lot. Women make other women feel bad and it's because every woman is seen as competition, how can you have women supporting each other when we're being pitted against each other? That's wear feminism is needed not just to "fight the patriarchy" but to help other women support women.

Basically freeing people from gender roles, gender stereotypes being that I'm not good at something because I'm female and doubting something I've told someone because "women don't know about that sort of stuff" or that I'll be good at cooking or cleaning because it's "women's work" and it helps men wouldn't it be nice if it was widely accepted that men were just as good at women at looking after their children? That the child shouldn't automatically live with it's mother?

I think it's really misrepresented as women kicking up a fuss over nothing or crazy man-hating women but fighting every day against sexism, sexist jokes that aren't funny, sexual assault i.e people thinking it's ok to slap you on the bottom ( I know this happens to men too), people assuming you'll be staying at home looking after the children - you're lazy and have no ambition if you do and if you don't you're a monster who shouldn't have had children btw there are just so many reasons and they might be minor but added together it becomes a problem.

Again I'm not comparing it to places where a major change of attitudes towards women is needed but just because we have a decent amount of equality it doesn't mean we should just stop and put up and shut up.
There is a lot that is left to deal with they may not seem as important as the issues that need tackling in other countries such as malala yousafzai being shot in the head because her culture doesn't think women have the same rights to education as boys but there are still a lot of sexist constructs and attitudes in society. I'm not going to tell you to read the everyday sexism project because for some of the cases yeah I do agree that it's less sexism more over sensitivity/ that guy was a douche but there is a lack of respect for women still in society.

When I was growing up all I was bombarded with was messages that the only thing I was good for was to look good, get married and have a man look after me, that my role was a caring role and I should be focusing on domestic things, intelligence isn't attractive yeah don't be a stupid bimbo but don't be more intelligent/stronger/better at anything than a man because he'll be put off and you'll die a lonely old spinster. Dress a certain way, act a certain way the pressure for women is absolutely enormous women can't win and it needs to stop. Men are not put under as much scrutiny you only have to read articles on fairly incredible women and the main things that are mentioned is how they look and it needs to stop don't get me wrong I think it's becoming more common for men to be objectified and be reduced down to how good their abs are but I don't agree with that either.

Not particularly relevant/

There are certain things women are still not able to do like fighting on the front line, if women can pass the physical tests they should be allowed.

Which should be happening soon enough, and debatably be the case for a very long time because of their inclusion in the Navy.

I don't agree with the whole gender-pay gap thing because women are less likely go into higher paid careers but I think the REASONING behind why needs to be addressed some don't because they're simply not interested in those sorts of careers but for others I know it was through fear of social rejection and I think women are as much to blame as men.

As is biology

However why are men being paid more for the same role and same job requirements as a woman and it does happen a lot.

Refer to most threads that bring up this topic to see how it is shot down. (pssttt, it's to do with the hours worked)

Women make other women feel bad and it's because every woman is seen as competition, how can you have women supporting each other when we're being pitted against each other? That's wear where feminism is needed not just to "fight the patriarchy"

The what? The thing feminism still clings on to despite having been dead for decades?
but to help other women support women.

How is feminism still a thing if they can't even work this out?

Basically freeing people from gender roles, gender stereotypes being that I'm not good at something because I'm female and doubting something I've told someone because "women don't know about that sort of stuff" or that I'll be good at cooking or cleaning because it's "women's work"...

Stereotypes come from somewhere, and even in Scandinavia where such "issues" have been broken down, the problem seems to be worse as far as who is working where.

and it helps men wouldn't it be nice if it was widely accepted that men were just as good at women at looking after their children? That the child shouldn't automatically live with it's mother?

You can blame biology for that one too.

I think it's really misrepresented as women kicking up a fuss over nothing or crazy man-hating women but fighting every day against sexism, sexist jokes that aren't funny, sexual assault i.e people thinking it's ok to slap you on the bottom ( I know this happens to men too), people assuming you'll be staying at home looking after the children - you're lazy and have no ambition if you do and if you don't you're a monster who shouldn't have had children btw there are just so many reasons and they might be minor but added together it becomes a problem.

Start up a thread about this and watch it get torn apart.

Again I'm not comparing it to places where a major change of attitudes towards women is needed but just because we have a decent amount of equality it doesn't mean we should just stop and put up and shut up.

You don't just have a "decent" amount, you have your equality by opportunity, just because that doesn't translate to results doesn't mean there is inequality.
Not particularly relevant/

Which should be happening soon enough, and debatably be the case for a very long time because of their inclusion in the Navy.

As is biology

Refer to most threads that bring up this topic to see how it is shot down. (pssttt, it's to do with the hours worked)

The what? The thing feminism still clings on to despite having been dead for decades?

How is feminism still a thing if they can't even work this out?

Stereotypes come from somewhere, and even in Scandinavia where such "issues" have been broken down, the problem seems to be worse as far as who is working where.

You can blame biology for that one too.

Start up a thread about this and watch it get torn apart.

You don't just have a "decent" amount, you have your equality by opportunity, just because that doesn't translate to results doesn't mean there is inequality.

Well aren't you a rude one, so disappointing that you can't have reasonable discussions with people.
Quite immature to correct what was obviously a mistake, that doesn't make you superior it makes you look slightly pathetic.
Yes it is relevant because that is what millions of women go through and that is what needs to change, just because you haven't experienced it does not make it irrelevant.
And why is it happening soon enough?
Regardless of what you choose to believe we still live in a patriarchal society it is not equal yet.
No it isn't biology or no women would go into higher paid careers and men would be terrible parents and all women would be amazing parents.
It will get "torn apart" (very mature by the way) yes I'm pretty sure if I started up a thread on storm front about racial mixing that that would get "torn apart" also. Fact is fact whether you think it's over sensitivity or not sexist jokes aren't funny just the same as racist ones people used to laugh at them too.
There is inequality in attitudes not so much as in opportunity to be able to do things yes women can vote can get the same jobs as men but it's the attitudes of people that are reducing womens opportunities and don't say "you have your equality" as though it is a gift.

Stereotypes might come from somewhere doesn't mean it's good and it's ok and it's right. Think about all the stereotypes there are and how many of them don't actually apply to the people they are describing, is every black person you know a theif? Are all the Irish people you know stupid and alcoholics? It's endless, I don't actually understand why you're so bothered about modern day feminism what actually bothers you about it? If these women want to spend their lives campaigning for things you deem trivial why exactly do you care?
Well aren't you a rude one, so disappointing that you can't have reasonable discussions with people.
Quite immature to correct what was obviously a mistake, that doesn't make you superior it makes you look slightly pathetic.
Yes it is relevant because that is what millions of women go through and that is what needs to change, just because you haven't experienced it does not make it irrelevant.
Regardless of what you choose to believe we still live in a patriarchal society it is not equal yet.
No it isn't biology or no women would go into higher paid careers and men would be terrible parents and all women would be amazing parents.
It will get "torn apart" (very mature by the way) yes I'm pretty sure if I started up a thread on storm front about racial mixing that that would get "torn apart" also. Fact is fact whether you think it's over sensitivity or not sexist jokes aren't funny just the same as racist ones people used to laugh at them too.
There is inequality in attitudes not so much as in opportunity to be able to do things yes women can vote can get the same jobs as men but it's the attitudes of people that are reducing womens opportunities and don't say "you have your equality" as though it is a gift.

Stereotypes might come from somewhere doesn't mean it's good and it's ok and it's right. Think about all the stereotypes there are and how many of them don't actually apply to the people they are describing, is every black person you know a theif? Are all the Irish people you know stupid and alcoholics? It's endless, I don't actually understand why you're so bothered about modern day feminism what actually bothers you about it? If these women want to spend their lives campaigning for things you deem trivial why exactly do you care?

Don't feed the troll. Remember, he knows more than you about what inequalities women face, because he is a man, and his knowledge is inherently superior to yours. Because of biology. :rolleyes:

Except, the case for feminism in the Middle East has nothing to do with the justification of feminism in the west, so it is irrelevant. I didn't ask you to justify feminism, I asked you to justify it in the west, more specifically in the uk.

I propose you look back in time a couple of months, with the likely income of Women on the front lines in the coming years.

"Patriarchy is a social system in which males are the primary authority figures central to social organization, occupy roles of political leadership, moral authority and control of property, and where fathers hold authority over women and children." good luck arguing that one. you claim it's unequal but haven't actually given any original arguments as to why it is, it sounds as if you're after equality by results.

Because, of course, everybody is archetypal.

[quote]It will get "torn apart" (very mature by the way) yes I'm pretty sure if I started up a thread on storm front about racial mixing that that would get "torn apart" also.

But one should expect this site to be a relatively good representation of students, maybe a bit more middle class and less working class, but definitely a better representation of the student public than storm front relative to the general public.

Fact is fact whether you think it's over sensitivity or not sexist jokes aren't funny just the same as racist ones people used to laugh at them too.

And still do, if you don't find a joke funny, don't laugh, if you find it funny, laugh.

[video="youtube;ozNKwaqdlA8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNKwaqdlA8[/video]

How do you want it putting then?

You seem to have missed the point, you have your sexist stereotypes. you break then down and give the women absolute freedom. They they go on to conform to the stereotypes more so than where they still exist.
I have a thing against silly ideas, especially when people are trying to convince me they're correct.
Reply 91
Original post by Messalina
Don't feed the troll. Remember, he knows more than you about what inequalities women face, because he is a man, and his knowledge is inherently superior to yours. Because of biology. :rolleyes:

He's a troll because he disagrees with modern feminists? Because he holds a different opinion to yours? You've probably seen some of my threads and think I'm a troll as well. I could take some horrific stabs at you from past threads of yours (I imagine deleted by now) that would probably send you into an emotional whirlwind . But I wouldn't do that. Because I'm not a troll. People with different opinions to yours are not necessarily trolls.

Well, we all know where your priorities lie: playing the sexism card to dismiss any argument made against you.

You're very right!
Original post by #Ridwan
And the feminists on here have the nerve to call me crazy when I expose the radicalism of their movement. Great post, this is yet further evidence that they are insane and aim to bring about societal collapse.

Do you know what? You people, are up there at the top, of the absolute worst of humanity.

You use ONE instance, one individual to judge an ENTIRE social group, an entire set of individuals. To justify your feeling, your hatred, and prejudice.

You are the people who use a minority of religious extremists to fuel hatred towards a mass of innocent religious people.

You are the people who used (and still use) a minority of violent black people to justify the maltreatment and contempt towards an entire race.

You are the people who judge and show contempt for an entire mass of individuals in a social class based on the few individuals who play the benefit system.

You (alongside the OP, and those who repped him) are a disgrace of a human being, because you have absolutely no rationality. You don't think to yourself that it is wrong to use one example of person to judge so many individuals. You honestly don't see that that is the core of prejudice and the root of so many of our social issues, historical and present.

It's mindsets like this that cause so much ****. You think it's harmless, but your mindset combined with many other like minded individuals is dangerous.

It's shameful, and degenerate. In the words of Sybill Trelawney broaden your minds. The ignorance is palpable.

And yes, I do realise there is absolutely no point in me saying any of this, because there's no helping mindsets like this. But I fee better for it.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Do you know what? You people, are up there at the top, of the absolute worst of humanity.

You use ONE instance, one individual to judge an ENTIRE social group, an entire set of individuals. To justify your feeling, your hatred, and prejudice.

You are the people who use a minority of religious extremists to fuel hatred towards a mass of innocent religious people.

You are the people who used (and still use) a minority of violent black people to justify the maltreatment and contempt towards an entire race.

You are the people who judge and show contempt for an entire mass of individuals in a social class based on the few individuals who play the benefit system.

You (alongside the OP, and those who repped him) are a disgrace of a human being, because you have absolutely no rationality. You don't think to yourself that it is wrong to use one example of person to judge so many individuals. You honestly don't see that that is the core of prejudice and the root of so many of our social issues, historical and present.

It's mindsets like this that cause so much ****. You think it's harmless, but your mindset combined with many other like minded individuals is dangerous.

It's shameful, and degenerate. In the words of Sybill Trelawney broaden your minds. The ignorance is palpable.

And yes, I do realise there is absolutely no point in me saying any of this, because there's no helping mindsets like this. But I fee better for it.

Slightly knee jerk.

Oh um how about

The UK ranks pretty poorly in terms of the proportion of female MPs

Barely 10% of the wealthiest in this country are women.

The UK also ranks poorly relative to other countries on equal pay.

I could go on... You can't argue that these aren't indicative of gender inequality. These are very big issues - far bigger issues than anything men face. The fact that the vast majority of our political establishment is male means we are quite literally ruled by the patriarchy. As a male, you're blind to not realise that.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Oh um how about

I could go on... You can't argue that these aren't indicative of gender inequality. These are very big issues - far bigger issues than anything men face. The fact that the vast majority of our political establishment is male means we are quite literally ruled by the patriarchy. As a male, you're blind to not realise that.

Are there any legal barriers to women becoming MPs, being paid equally, or accumulating enormous wealth?

The answer is of course no, and therefore you have nothing to complain about.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Oh um how about

As aid above, what is stopping those things? And are you really going to argue equal pay? Run out of original arguments?
And, surely, if the public cared about the proportion of female MPs they would call for more female MPs rather than just voting for the male ones?
The interesting this is, when you look at the second link, plenty of those women didn't even earn the money themselves, rather they were in high profile divorces from rich men, and it appears to mostly be the women divorcing from the men rather than men from the women, I wonder if the money potentially influenced their decision to divorce rather than try to pull things back together?

As for the "patriarchy" go look at the definition again, and I going to have to pull women in to back me up on the point before you accept it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
Slightly knee jerk.

I just have zero tolerance for idiocy. Can you just listen to me please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending