The Student Room Group

Captain America will be black..........

http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-unveils-black-captain-america-204927447.html

First the She-Thor and now this? What's this world coming to? I am sitting here smoking my cigar and drinking my Dom with a combined value that would double a small african country's GDP but I can't help feeling like everything is crashing down around me. Will I be able to sleep tonight knowing that tomorrow I could wake up to a world where my straight, white, male privilege is just another lost chapter in the annals of history?

Please respond. Please stay safe.
what's next, transgendered spider man? gay super man? chinese bat man?
I mean, I'm all for equality, but for the love of christ...
(edited 9 years ago)
it is cultural genocide
Cultural appropriation.
I have to say, this makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Thor change. There's been several different characters taking the role of Captain America so this isn't exactly new.

Thor being a woman? This makes no sense. Thor is a character, not a costume, and it also a historically Germanic god from real life culture. This is like saying Jesus is now a women, in a sense.

Again, if they want black and female superheroes, why not create new ones instead of adapting existing ones? It looks incredibly retarded.

This is, by the way, in one of Marvel's Ultimate Universe so not their main series.
I'm so confused. Are all these changes being put in the films or the comics?
Original post by EllieC130
I'm so confused. Are all these changes being put in the films or the comics?

Just the comics.
YAYYYYYYYYYYY nikka we made it

edit: mods note i know a girl called nikka

(edited 9 years ago)
It's a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE.

Don't read it if you don't like it. I find it intriguing, and will be reading and enjoying it.
Original post by Snagprophet
I have to say, this makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Thor change. There's been several different characters taking the role of Captain America so this isn't exactly new.

Thor being a woman? This makes no sense. Thor is a character, not a costume, and it also a historically Germanic god from real life culture. This is like saying Jesus is now a women, in a sense.

Again, if they want black and female superheroes, why not create new ones instead of adapting existing ones? It looks incredibly retarded.

This is, by the way, in one of Marvel's Ultimate Universe so not their main series.

There was a female Thor comic published several years ago.

Marvel's Thor is not a replica of Norse mythology. Yes it shares influences and theories, but it is not the same.

To answer your last question: a new female character would receive minimal (if any) acknowledgement. The character would have to be heavily sexual/objectified in order to gain any popularity from what seems to be still a patriarchal fan base. Thus, Thor is a perfect opportunity.
There were plenty of other people who became captain america, this guy wasn't even the first black man who became captain america. Too many casuals...
So Captain America is black and Thor is a woman? It's like there are no white male superheroes left except for all the other ones. How dare Marvel suggest heroism isn't a specifically white-male trait!? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending