The Student Room Group

Where would you rather live, Las Vegas or Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
yeah i know, i was just being an arse about it cos im bored :wink:

Actually lol

I did a google search of "Somalia"

Top article: Somalia: U.N. Monitors Allege 'Conspiracy' to Divert National Assets

lol

guess you're right.
Reply 81
Definitely Riyadh. I would live in a Muslim country over a non-muslim anyday especially if that non-muslim country happen to be the second biggest enemies of the Muslims... America.
Original post by Roger1
Definitely Riyadh. I would live in a Muslim country over a non-muslim anyday especially if that non-muslim country happen to be the second biggest enemies of the Muslims... America.

So where do you live?

What's the first biggest "enemy" of Muslims?
Reply 83
Original post by Sabertooth
So where do you live?

What's the first biggest "enemy" of Muslims?

Israel.
Original post by Roger1
Israel.

So where do you live? Or is Israel the answer to both questions? :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
So where do you live?

London.
Original post by Roger1
London.

I know London has a lot of immigrants but that's not living in a Muslim country over non Muslim country "any day". Unless you're like 15 and can't move yet?
Reply 87
I know London has a lot of immigrants but that's not living in a Muslim country over non Muslim country "any day". Unless you're like 15 and can't move yet?

I've family here.
Original post by Roger1
I've family here.

So it's not really any day, you Can move and you don't take the opportunity.
Reply 89
So it's not really any day, you Can move and you don't take the opportunity.

I will move once I've the opportunity.
Original post by Marky Mark
Why do people on this site constantly hate on Somalia?

I have nothing against the Somali people or Somali culture, but it's clearly not a safe place to be at this current point.
Reply 91
Vegas any day! I'd rather be free than live in a hypocritical Islamic society brimming with money, hidden vice, slavery, and public beheadings. I prefer the USA values of democracy, freedom and the culture they bring to the wider world. Their constitution and open society are two things I admire. Take the films they produce, for example and the intellectual debate, their outstanding universities etc. I don't know what good Saudi Arabia does for the wider world. I wouldn't feel safe there and I abhor their legal system. It's a no brainer for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
Neither.
Las Vegas.

I don't like gambling, but at least I can still have a cold beer and a bacon wrap while walking around in shorts. Living under the constraints of Wahhabism in Riyadh would make me go insane.
I honestly cannot believe that 50% of you actually voted Saudi Arabia...wtaf. ALL countries ruled by sharia law have atrocious human rights records (with Saudi Arabia being one of the worst). There are public executions involving decapitation, stoning and firing squad for those who commit adultery, reject Islam/follow another religion, attempt WITCHCRAFT or who are gay. Saudi Arabia is also incredibly oppressive and sexist. Women are forced to conceal themselves, must have a male guardian - be it their husband or brother - whose permission they require in order to work (which is already pretty impossible for women), go to university or travel. Did I mention they can't drive and have to stand in separate queues in shops?

I'm sure that if those of you who voted Riyadh were actually dumped in Saudi Arabia you would change your minds...having grown up in the UK you don't know what it's like to be oppressed and have no rights, but if you did, I'm sure you wouldn't like it...
Would never live in a Middle Eastern/Muslim country

So Las Vegas it is, seems fun anyway even if gambling isn't my thing
Reply 96
Original post by yo radical one
Riyadh

Aside from lawless countries like Somali, the US would probably be the last place I would ever want to live or be

Decant. Cultureless. Wasteland.

Would you care to define decant, as far as I'm aware it's completely irrelevant in the way you've used it.

Anyone who doesn't say Vegas needs their head examining. Vegas is one of the most liberal places in the world, you can pretty much do what you want. Why would anyone choose to live in an authoritarian state that is so backwards homosexuality is illegal, torture is still part of the criminal justice system and women go to prison for being raped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by TheTechN1304
I honestly cannot believe that 50% of you actually voted Saudi Arabia...wtaf. ALL countries ruled by sharia law have atrocious human rights records (with Saudi Arabia being one of the worst). There are public executions involving decapitation, stoning and firing squad for those who commit adultery, reject Islam/follow another religion, attempt WITCHCRAFT or who are gay. Saudi Arabia is also incredibly oppressive and sexist. Women are forced to conceal themselves, must have a male guardian - be it their husband or brother - whose permission they require in order to work (which is already pretty impossible for women), go to university or travel. Did I mention they can't drive and have to stand in separate queues in shops?

Important points you make. I find it sad that so many young people have this glossy, romantic view of wonderful Riyadh and Saudi culture but seem so utterly blind or indifferent to its disgusting human rights abuses and it's sexist and barbarous legal system. I guess most people prefer to see only what they want to see rather than risk facing the naked truth and having their illusions shattered.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marco1
Important points you make. I find it sad that so many young people have this glossy, romantic view of wonderful Riyadh and Saudi culture but seem so utterly blind or indifferent to its disgusting human rights abuses and it's sexist and barbarous legal system. I guess most people prefer to see only what they want to see rather than risk facing the naked truth and having their illusions shattered.

oh please, why don't you read up on all the disgusting human right abuses committed by the west, when it was industrialising. other countries are now following its footpath, only later. I'm not condoning human rights abuses but the west incarnated the modern world, and has now spread it across the globe.
Original post by interact
oh please, why don't you read up on all the disgusting human right abuses committed by the west, when it was industrialising. other countries are now following its footpath, only later. I'm not condoning human rights abuses but the west incarnated the modern world, and has now spread it across the globe.

so you're suggesting that america *today* is, still, better than saudi arabia *today*? and for the record, we're talking about the countries themselves, not their acts towards other countries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending