The Student Room Group

Views on Northern Ireland, Ireland etc!?

I was wondering what people's views are on Northern Ireland as a country and what they think it's citizens are like. I am also wondering how people feel about the whole Northern Ireland/Ireland situation and the Catholic/Protestant segregation that occurs here, and what they think will happen in the future here. I myself am from the North of Ireland and was wondering how people view us (british, northern irish or irish folk from here) in general:confused:

Whether you are from Ireland, NI, England, or any other country in the world please share your views?:smile: I will share my views later in the thread!:biggrin:
From what I gather, NI doesn't want to lose it's NHS and Dublin can't afford NI's budget.
Reply 2
I'm from Northern Ireland! Though I share my time between Dublin and Paris.

I think the vast majority of Northern Irish citizens are extremely friendly. I think the politicians are uneducated idiots that are dragging the country back and doing the exact opposite of what they are saying they are trying to do.

Most young educated people in NI don't care at all about the whole Catholic/Protestant thing, I have friends from both sides of the 'community' (though I hate that phrase, it's not as black and white as there being 2 sides). Unfortunately, as with most things like this, the older and less educated people get, the more they are prejudiced they are.
Reply 3
Original post by tara_mc_
I was wondering what people's views are on Northern Ireland as a country and what they think it's citizens are like. I am also wondering how people feel about the whole Northern Ireland/Ireland situation and the Catholic/Protestant segregation that occurs here, and what they think will happen in the future here. I myself am from the North of Ireland and was wondering how people view us (british, northern irish or irish folk from here) in general:confused:

Whether you are from Ireland, NI, England, or any other country in the world please share your views?:smile: I will share my views later in the thread!:biggrin:

I think many are nationalist, religious bigots. I also think your a drain on the rest of Britain.

That being said, I support a united Britain.
Reply 4
Original post by Snagprophet
From what I gather, NI doesn't want to lose it's NHS and Dublin can't afford NI's budget.

Yeah! I think that's why we'll never get a referendum like Scotland
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
I think many are nationalist, religious bigots. I also think your a drain on the rest of Britain.

That being said, I support a united Britain.

I think it's the loyalists who are being the biggest drain recently, their rioting last year cost millions. Of course the police don't help by not arresting anyone on the spot. Both sides of the community contain religious bigots, but people seem to forget that there isn't just the IRA but also the UVF. (I am not defended the IRA though)
Reply 6
I think it's the loyalists who are being the biggest drain recently, their rioting last year cost millions. Of course the police don't help by not arresting anyone on the spot. Both sides of the community contain religious bigots, but people seem to forget that there isn't just the IRA but also the UVF. (I am not defended the IRA though)

Both sides are as bad as each other and too quick to seek confrontation.

NI is a drain by default anyway since it gets massive subsidies from England and Scotland (when oil revenue is taken into account). Wales and the North East are also drains.

The Good Friday agreement was progress but unless the youth feel united as Britains, it will fail in the long run.
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
Both sides are as bad as each other and too quick to seek confrontation.

NI is a drain by default anyway since it gets massive subsidies from England and Scotland (when oil revenue is taken into account). Wales and the North East are also drains.

The Good Friday agreement was progress but unless the youth feel united as Britains, it will fail in the long run.

Yeah sadly I think that some young people today are insistent on wasting their lives fighting over flags. The past is just too heavy here for people to feel united as Britons, especially since about half the population view themselves as Irish. But even a large proportion of people who would call themselves Irish would vote to stay as part of the UK if there was a referendum for economic reasons.

a grossly underated place is ni

some gorgeous scenery and rich culture in the wee country

for some reason I dont see myself living there long term there

the south is and forever will be home
Reply 9
Yeah sadly I think that some young people today are insistent on wasting their lives fighting over flags. The past is just too heavy here for people to feel united as Britons, especially since about half the population view themselves as Irish. But even a large proportion of people who would call themselves Irish would vote to stay as part of the UK if there was a referendum for economic reasons.

That's a defeatist attitude. What the UK needs to do is make Ireland wealthy and then the people will thank them for it.

To be honest I'd like Ireland to come back, they are our brethren. I'd also like a united
Reply 10
Original post by trustmeimlying1
a grossly underated place is ni

some gorgeous scenery and rich culture in the wee country

for some reason I dont see myself living there long term there

the south is and forever will be home

I think the measly weather doesn't help :lol: I get why you couldn't live here long term; it killed me leaving Spain after my holidays thinking that Id never leave home again, stupid lol:blushing::biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
That's a defeatist attitude. What the UK needs to do is make Ireland wealthy and then the people will thank them for it.

To be honest I'd like Ireland to come back, they are our brethren. I'd also like a united

yeah, it's all about the money really:s-smilie:
I think the measly weather doesn't help :lol: I get why you couldn't live here long term; it killed me leaving Spain after my holidays thinking that Id never leave home again, stupid lol:blushing::biggrin:

its gorgeous country side!! but Im young and able bodied id much rather be in a city I reckon...
all the same il be sure to return for a wee stop in the causeway coast
yeah, it's all about the money really:s-smilie:

Well not exactly. But around the world you tend to find that when people feel wealthy and don't have rampant unemployment their more inclined to put cultural differences aside. Its why despite wanting independence you don't see riots and bombings in Scotland or Catalonia.
I think we're a social backwater that seems to oppose all good change and is full of sectarians lel.

Although, that doesn't mean that for the most part it's not full of friendly, forward-thinking people but it's spoilt by the few that want to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending