The Student Room Group

Society frowns upon virgins? Why?

Is screwing someone using your genitals such an honour?

Did you achieve something great by gaining an hour (or more depending on your sex drive) of pleasure?

According to the Penguin Atlas of Sexual Behaviour, there are over 120 million acts of sexual intercourse per day. Considering this, approximately 166,666.666 thousand people are having sex every minute.

So, is this some kind of a unique achievement? You're doing something which most people do.

So, why is virginity frowned upon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because casual sex had became the norm, so those not following the trend are looked down.
since when has society been frowning upon virgins? Am i missing something here?:confused:
Original post by kkboyk
Because casual sex had became the norm, so those not following the trend are looked down.

This is one of the most crappiest logic i have ever seen.
Reply 5
They can frown upon me all they want. I couldn't care less to be honest. :rolleyes:
I'm a virgin :d
Reply 7
This is the third virgin thread I've seen today! Who cares?
Original post by How Are You?

Did you achieve something great by gaining an hour (or more depending on your sex drive) of pleasure?

According to the Penguin Atlas of Sexual Behaviour, there are over 120 million acts of sexual intercourse per day. Considering this, approximately 166,666.666 thousand people are having sex every minute.

So, is this some kind of a unique achievement? You're doing something which most people do.

Why so many 6? Conspiracy?
What? Some up-himself nutjob over on another thread is calling himself a "saint" for not having sex or masturbating! I wish society would make up its mind as to how it views virgins.
Original post by moonriver96
since when has society been frowning upon virgins? Am i missing something here?:confused:

Oh, you are just not aware. People look down upon virgins and think of it as an "obsession". When in reality, the virgin might just be looking for a partner who he/she loves to lose it.

Original post by Rosie786
They can frown upon me all they want. I couldn't care less to be honest. :rolleyes:

You go girl!!

Original post by xLittleMissyx
I'm a virgin :d

Be proud!!
Original post by Harvey Dent
What? Some up-himself nutjob over on another thread is calling himself a "saint" for not having sex or masturbating! I wish society would make up its mind as to how it views virgins.

If he calls himself a saint just because he's a virgin. You can definitely call him a 'nutjob'.

But, pointing your finger at a virgin and telling him to stop his obsession for no valid reason is unacceptable. As if the individual who sensationalises sex has gained something marvellous by screwing someone...
There's a lot of mixed messages regarding virginity.
Reply 13
No, it's the people who have STDs who frown upon virgins. :nah:
I don't even know anymore. And I don't care; I only will care when I actually manage to get into a relationship and even then I'll only care about whether the person I'm with has a problem waiting. For now if society has a problem with me being a virgin, they can either bring me Joseph Gordon Levitt or sod off.
It implies something is wrong. If you don't have sex with someone, people wonder why, I wouldn't say people frown upon it, they just think it is odd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by How Are You?

This only happens in western society.

Frankly, I don't understand and certainly don't like virgin shaming, male or female. Because of my up bringing, I look at sex as something that should be shared between two people who have committed themselves

Male virginity is nothing to frown upon or laugh at.
Only sluts/players would do that, because they want to portray virginity as something shameful in order to make themselves look better for losing it early in their life.

Source:Me an 18 years virgin.
Original post by Rosie786

Same here!
I've never been looked down upon for being a virgin and if anyone did, I'd think they were rather stupid.
Which society are you referring to?

Is it the one where some pious people like to make out they are better than others by declaring an arbitrary moral high ground and then acting as judge, jury and executioner for those that don't want to play by those pointlessly pathetic rules.

Some 'societies' frown upon people who are not virgins.

It's the right of an individual to do what they wish with their own bodies and sexuality when they are of legal age.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending