The Student Room Group

Argument against vegaterians who judge others

It really annoys me that some people say that humans should be vegaterian because we don't need to eat meat to survive anymore as we can get a healthy diet without it, so we shouldn't let an animals life go to waste for our own selfish desires which aren't essential in our life. Basically saying that as meat is a LUXURY PRODUCT we should consider the lives of animals first.

The problem with this argument is that we then have to apply this logic to all LUXURY PRODUCTS.

For example an expensive piece of jewelry. We don't need this to survive so we shouldn't buy this as we could better spend the money by donating it to charity, to help save a baby African's life - which is surely more important than a Cow's life. As we should consider the oportunity cost of this selfish action (putting our own desires first, at the expense of a baby african).

So I dont accept this as an argument to be vegetarian unless the person donates every penny of their disposible income to charity to help better the world in some way.

This is only for people who critise other for not being vegetarian/vegan btw. I understand if your just doing your bit to "better the world", but don't judge others for eating meat. They might be donating alot to animal charities but they just can't give up the meat. (Not me though)
Well, in their defense, I've never come across such a person irl
The only argument I need is: "Mind your own business and go **** yourself."
Reply 3
Original post by R Dragon

TBH I only know one person who says this irl, but i have seen someone else on tsr say it before
Original post by WKUK
TBH I only know one person who says this irl, but i have seen someone else on tsr say it before

On TSR they'll tell you that pigs fly
Original post by R Dragon

Hmmm, I know a few.
Reply 6
Original post by WKUK
It really annoys me that some people say that humans should be vegaterian because we don't need to eat meat to survive anymore as we can get a healthy diet without it, so we shouldn't let an animals life go to waste for our own selfish desires which aren't essential in our life. Basically saying that as meat is a LUXURY PRODUCT we should consider the lives of animals first.

The problem with this argument is that we then have to apply this logic to all LUXURY PRODUCTS.

For example an expensive piece of jewelry. We don't need this to survive so we shouldn't buy this as we could better spend the money by donating it to charity, to help save a baby African's life - which is surely more important than a Cow's life. As we should consider the oportunity cost of this selfish action (putting our own desires first, at the expense of a baby african).

So I dont accept this as an argument to be vegetarian unless the person donates every penny of their disposible income to charity to help better the world in some way.

This is only for people who critise other for not being vegetarian/vegan btw. I understand if your just doing your bit to "better the world", but don't judge others for eating meat. They might be donating alot to animal charities but they just can't give up the meat. (Not me though)

I think what those people are trying to say is that we are no better than other animals and we don't have the right to enslave them. Animals aren't luxury products or commodities, they're victims. Slaves. Slavery in itself is wrong.

It is your personal choice to buy a piece of jewelry, it affects you only (unless those minerals are mined by slaves).

To use animal products is not a personal choice as it directly denies other persons (animals) their rights. It is not your right to deny somebody else theirs.

For instance I could decide tomorrow that I want to murder my whole street. Technically it is my choice. But I certainly couldn't argue that in court as it never took into consideration the lives of the victims I took.
In the future we will look at the murder of animals in the same way we do human animals.

Also a human baby life is no more important than a cow's life. Why do you think that?

If people truly wanted to end world thirst and hunger one of the easiest things to do is be vegan. The animal industry itself has even admitted we can't currently provide for every single person unless everyone is vegan. The leading hunger charities have said it too and can also double how many mouths they feed by providing plant food instead of meat.

Just another thing, vegetarian animal liberation activists don't exist. Only vegan animal liberation activists. So if a vegetarian criticized you for being selfish, I do wonder why they haven't given up milk, eggs and honey.

I'd rather sit at a table with a person eating a cheese steak who knows and doesn't care than a vegetarian eating a cheese pizza preaching about animal welfare and rights.
Reply 7
I don't think you can really claim that eating meat is morally OK, after all you are killing animals for your own pleasure.
Reply 8
I see a hell of a lot more people attacking and judging vegetarians than the other way round. Most veggies just want to get on with their lives without constantly being hassled by defensive meat eaters who feel somehow like they're being undermined because people have made different choices to them.
OK, so you've realised that people are often hypocrites?
Original post by KingBradly
Hmmm, I know a few.

Hmm indeed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending